Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:41 AM

51 posts, read 101,170 times

Advertisements

Florida sand is very nice and fine white powder,lot's of shells for beach combers.
but in August The Red Tide will drive you away because of the dead fish that wash up on shore.
California is more scenic with bigger waves (and sharks!)while Fla.has nice ripples for the snowbirds
to wade in the warm water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 AM

200 posts, read 354,158 times
Australian beaches!! I live near Jervis Bay and we have some of the whitest sand and crystal clear, calm waters and no crowds. Awesome surf beaches, with Aussie Pipe nearby for the pros. So many good beaches up and down the East coast of Australia. Up northern NSW and Queensland way the water is warm.

I am so keen to compare Californian and Florida beaches with Aussie beaches when I arrive in USA this yr.

What % do u consider really humid(out of interest sake) people keep referring to Florida as really humid. I am interested In how it compares with Asia.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:30 AM

880 posts, read 1,415,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possum_magic View Post
Australian beaches!! I live near Jervis Bay and we have some of the whitest sand and crystal clear, calm waters and no crowds. Awesome surf beaches, with Aussie Pipe nearby for the pros. So many good beaches up and down the East coast of Australia. Up northern NSW and Queensland way the water is warm.

I am so keen to compare Californian and Florida beaches with Aussie beaches when I arrive in USA this yr.

What % do u consider really humid(out of interest sake) people keep referring to Florida as really humid. I am interested In how it compares with Asia.
Hi,

I have lived on both coasts here in the US and definitely prefer the East Coast for swimming. I have only been to Sydney so can't really comment on any compassion, but Summer in Florida will compare I suspect with Asia or at least the pacific islands. Now Winter in FL is better at the beach for sure. Not perfect but better than CA in Winter.

CA has beautiful scenery and great waves but the water is cold. I grew up at Newport beach and enjoyed it, but FL beaches are better overall, since when on the beach it is the water, sand and well girls (Unless you are a girl, then it is the guys, if you are old, you can't see that clear so you just enjoy the sand and water) that draw your attention, not what the scenery may be like. Well OK you acknowledge the scenery and then look at the more important things.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
FL beaches are much nicer. The other nice thing about Florida is you don't have to be rich to live near the beach the way you have to in CA. I guess if you are into surfing CA is probably better? I'm not though .

I think Florida beaches are really underrated an I don't know why L.A is known for the beach since the water is mostly cold and I think there are less nice beach days in CA versus FL.

I think Florida in generally is very underrated versus CA.

I find SOuth FL at least to have a much nicer quality of living versus L.A especially for the cost of homes ,etc. and no state taxes. ...especially Broward county area.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:38 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I'd put a place like Coronado or Del Mar against anything in Florida plus the weather will be better here to boot. It's hard for someone to look good with sweat pouring off your body or a swarm of angry insects buzzing around you.

BTW Forbes Magazine named Coronado the best beach in America recently: America's Top 10 Beaches Of 2012 - Forbes

While the Travel Channel rates Coronado 6th in the country just behind Clearwater Beach, FL: Top 10 US Beaches : Best Beach Vacations : Travel Channel
I honestly don't get why these rankings like Coronado so much. It's wide, flat, and has a nice hotel and that's about it. Pretty much nearly every beach north of it in San Diego County is nicer and more scenic than Coronado.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I honestly don't get why these rankings like Coronado so much. It's wide, flat, and has a nice hotel and that's about it. Pretty much nearly every beach north of it in San Diego County is nicer and more scenic than Coronado.
I think it might be because manly marines are stomping about on the beach some. I'd have to ask the women folks around here for a final opinion on that, though.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 13,888 times
for all who want to compare california beaches florida beaches i can say calfornia wins hands down, my name is thomas and my wife is naomi and we've been in florida beaches:

Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Daytona Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Boyton Beach, Cystal
Cove, and a few who's names i don't remember.

Well here's what California has to offer:

Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, (these beaches are in central coast), Malibu, Zuma Beach, Santa Monica(Los Angeles County), Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach(my personal favorite), Capistrano Beach(Orange County), Black Beach(San Diego), Point Hueneme(Venture County), would also like to mention Myrtle Beach in South Carolina but we've never been there but seen photos and we have friends from Columbia.

and i've been to all beaches mentioned and will tell you that Laguna Beach tops all of them for all types of scenery and relaxation. It's a small beach but has affluent shopping and very high end real estate. Yes i'm being prejudice, but this my opinion since i live in orange county.

when we have visitors from abroad(domestic or international) we take them to all central/southern california beaches and they decide, and so far Laguna Beach is tops.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:04 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoloian View Post

Laguna Beach tops all of them for all types of scenery and relaxation. It's a small beach but has affluent shopping and very high end real estate.
Snobby, self-absorbed plastic people can be a turnoff, but the scenery is quite nice. Pros and cons to be weighed in South OC.
No: http://thesnobmag.com/index.php/unca...nty-polo-club/

Yes:

Old 10-17-2013, 03:26 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Florida beaches are warmer. The water, the temperatures, the sand...everything in FL beaches is warmer than in California beaches.

FL's water is warmer. If one looks at current water temps in South FL.. the current water temp in mid-october is 82 degrees. Sounds quite nice to me.
I do think that the surrounding scenery in and around California's beaches beats Florida. It's more majestic and just awe-inspiring, while the water and seaweed smell is not so great.

Both are great. Both have totally different vibes and energies.
If u wanna swim- Florida
for natural beauty- California

Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default This Is Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ween View Post
I personally prefer the white sandy beaches of south Florida to the brown sandy beaches of Southern California. I've never had to wear a wet in Florida either!

I'm curious to see if any fellow Californians have been to Florida and if so, what is your opinion on the beaches versus Southern California's?

This Is Easy

California over Florida solely because of the lack of " Mountains " " Valleys " " Forests " around the Florida Beaches , California have these things in Spades.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California