Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 09:00 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,056,358 times

Advertisements

I think California's beach side is beautiful (La Jolla, etc) but the water is freezing, it goes too deep, and theres too much seaweed. So if I want to go swimming (which is rare), I do prefer South Florida. But for scenery, California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 21,928 times
Default Cali Vs Florida

The beaches in both states are great but it all depends on what you are looking for. Weather in my opinion is a huge deal when comparing the two. 8 Months out of the year, Florida weather is great. 4 months out of the year, you want to be anywhere else to escape the humid weather. With California, you never really have to worry about heat too much because it will always cool off at night. In Florida he Humidity is the only down side, because the beaches are much better in my opinion. In south Florida you get a crystal green look to the water and most of the time it is nice and smooth where I am. (Sarasota) It feels nice to take a dip in some warmer water after a long hard day of work. California has cold water, but nothing that a wet-suit would not take care of. Surfing is also better in California. If that is what you are looking for than there is no question to ask. California is way better for surfing. If it is a nice private relaxing time you want at the beach Florida's white sand beaches are right there whenever you want to go with no parking troubles at all in most cities. Beaches are a very therapeutic part to life when you are a beach person like me. Swimming in cold waters does not really make me too happy, but when it comes to waves, you will not get that in Florida too often.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 17,222 times
FLORIDA IS closer to the caribean so thats it baby cant compare FLA beaches to ca brown sand and dark cold water and less days on the year to go to.Floridais tropical ,ca semitropical no coconut trees less fruits.anyways HAWAII and PUERTO RICO WINs

Old 11-25-2008, 05:25 PM

213 posts, read 741,745 times
California slams Florida beaches.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 PM

604 posts, read 1,837,132 times
florida beaches are turquoise, warm and calm and have white sounds. They are more tropical lookingcalifornia beaches are uglier (brown sound dark blue water with rocks) but the bluffs and mansions are nicer surroundings than floridas high rises. cali has more piers, colder, wavier and dark blue water

Old 10-06-2009, 03:21 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,765,779 times
Brazil

Old 10-06-2009, 06:00 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,286,846 times
Apples and oranges ...

Both are good.

I can appreciate the coral environment as well as the kelp environment.

Check 'em both out under water and you'll see what I mean.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 PM

302 posts, read 861,749 times
Both beaches are beautiful for being near the ocean, but I've noticed that CA's beaches are a lot less humid, a lot colder, and a bit more scenic somehow.

I will say about Florida's beaches (speaking primarily of Fernandina Beach, FL) that they are a goldmine for shells, sharks teeth, everything. You're lucky if you find part of a broken shell on CA's beaches. You could especially score on a FL beach if you were beachcoming after a major storm (particularly hurricane) and when the tide recedes.

I like CA's beaches in the regard that they aren't filled with exotic and freaky wildlife-it seems like every body of water (even the ponds in the medians) have a shark or alligator in them in FL. I definately wasn't used to that in CA, where bodies of water are safe like Folsom Lake.

Overall, it evens out, I guess it's just what you prefer.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,582,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post

I like CA's beaches in the regard that they aren't filled with exotic and freaky wildlife-it seems like every body of water (even the ponds in the medians) have a shark or alligator in them in FL. I definately wasn't used to that in CA, where bodies of water are safe like Folsom Lake.
We have Caiman here too along with Python issues and Iguanas that crap all over the place and now 7' Nile Monitor Lizards Exotic reptiles are a big problem, they thrive in the tropical environment. A few months ago, a Comcast worker was bit by a Green Mamba in an apartment complex and they still have not found the snake. All it takes is a breeding pair and that's it.

Yeah you don't want to go for a dip in a pond or canal here unless you want to be finger licking good.

Last edited by blauskies; 10-06-2009 at 08:15 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 09:49 PM

132 posts, read 369,083 times
The appeal of a beach to me, and I'm not a big beach person, lies a lot in the surroundings and the air. Florida water is generally warm, but the air is waaaay too humid in my opinion. A Florida beach can get to smelling like seaweed funk pretty quickly too - must have something to do with the almost stagnant water sometimes. I haven't even ventured into the ocean waters though, in all the time I've lived in FL because of the reputed fecal content. I live in South Florida, but the first time I had gone swimming in the ocean in over twenty years, was in Oceanside CA last July! That says something.

California waters are much cooler, and getting used to the cooler temps is part of the thrill when going for a swim. The waves are a hoot, and I like the darker sand. How can you really go wrong with that much coastline anyway??

California beaches for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California