Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:29 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times

Advertisements

Trying to predict earthquakes in California is pointless, what I also find interesting is that there are some even larger "big ones" due in other states that largely ignored. Earthquakes occur frequently in California but they are mild to moderate. Even the worst case for the San Andreas fault is much less than the big earthquake in Japan a few years ago, and much less than what is possible off the coast of Oregon/Washington.

In any case, I hate earthquakes and I think are one of the biggest arguments to not live in California..or at least the parts that are prone to earthquakes which ironically are where most people live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

In any case, I hate earthquakes and I think are one of the biggest arguments to not live in California..or at least the parts that are prone to earthquakes which ironically are where most people live.
There's a story that after the earthquake devastated SF in 1906, that the Native Americans thought the SF citizens were nuts when they started rebuilding on the same spot.

I actually think the earthquakes are kinda fun. But, I've never been hurt or known anyone who's been hurt, either.

Then again, I love a good rollicking thunder and lightening storm, too. Had some good ones in Tennessee when I lived there.

I am afraid of tornadoes and hurricanes, though. Perhaps that balances it out.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I actually think the earthquakes are kinda fun. But, I've never been hurt or known anyone who's been hurt, either.

Then again, I love a good rollicking thunder and lightening storm, too. Had some good ones in Tennessee when I lived there.
Sure, a small 3~4.0 earthquake can be "fun" but a large earthquake is nothing like a good thunder storm. If all California got was small earthquakes, I wouldn't care, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

I think earthquakes are worse than hurricanes, etc at least with weather events you typically have warning. In the case of hurricane, ample warning.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Sure, a small 3~4.0 earthquake can be "fun" but a large earthquake is nothing like a good thunder storm. If all California got was small earthquakes, I wouldn't care, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

I think earthquakes are worse than hurricanes, etc at least with weather events you typically have warning. In the case of hurricane, ample warning.
And tornadoes? Flash floods? Tsumanis? I dunno. I guess I'm used to earthquakes. My preferred potential catastrophe.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:54 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Quote:

Having experienced more than one 7+ earthquakes over the years, I believe just the opposite. After an earthquake there are still roads. For the most part electricity and water are still available. Life goes on with just a few inconveniences.

Hurricanes. OTOH, can leave a landscape with no power poles, roofs torn off, no food, water, gas , and a miserable life until the relief forces arrive.

But keep thinking earthquakes are worse than hurricanes, if that keeps folks like you out of California!

Old 08-10-2014, 10:37 AM

147 posts, read 217,462 times
I went through four hurricanes in 2004 and we were out of power for over a month in the middle of the summer. I honestly would rather be in an earthquake than a hurricane or tornado. Tornados scare the hell out of me especially when you get warnings at night and hurricanes are long and eerie.

Not that I don't think earthquakes are dangerous obviously they are (1906 quake, Loma prieta? and Northridge) but a majority of them are mild. I know the big one is probably do but they're just so rare.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
And tornadoes? Flash floods? Tsumanis? I dunno. I guess I'm used to earthquakes. My preferred potential catastrophe.
Tornadoes, Flash floods, etc typically come with warnings because particular weather patterns produce them, on the other hand earthquakes are unpredictable. When was the last time you experienced a major earthquake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Having experienced more than one 7+ earthquakes over the years, I believe just the opposite. After an earthquake there are still roads. For the most part electricity and water are still available. Life goes on with just a few inconveniences.
You seem to have in mind small earthquakes as well, in a major earthquake water, electricity, etc are not available and roads will become heavily damaged. Many people die due to structure collapses and so on. When the "big one" hits Southern California, water infrastructure will be impacted for much longer than a hurricane.

But yes people "like me", a 3rd generation Californian, should leave because I have a realistic view of earthquakes rather than naive view.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted View Post
I went through four hurricanes in 2004 and we were out of power for over a month in the middle of the summer. I honestly would rather be in an earthquake than a hurricane or tornado. Tornados scare the hell out of me especially when you get warnings at night and hurricanes are long and eerie.
When was the last time you experienced a major earthquake? This is the problem many people have experienced hurricanes, few people have experienced a major earthquake so its easy to be glib about earthquakes. Most people in California have a blase attitude towards earthquakes due to lack of experience and/or knowledge, for example, many Californians don't have 1~2 weeks worth of water/food nor do they have a earthquake kit. Apparently many people naively believe that earthquakes just result in "a few inconveniences" so don't need to worry about food, water, etc.

For the US, earthquakes represent the most potential danger and damage and unlike other natural disasters they aren't predictable. In California, you are living under a time bomb and you have no idea when it will go off.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:48 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
If California were to "fall into the ocean" you and your boat would be in biggus troublus from the tidal wave that would result.

PS California cannot "fall" into the ocean. It's settled science. You might want to learn a little bit about geology, and in particular how the tectonic plates and continental drift work...
You do realize that anything science related on these forums is lost to most right?

"Fall into the ocean" LOL this would mean that it's sitting on a counter in the same way that a jar of peanut butter does. Gotta love superstitions.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:50 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Selfishly waits for Arizona to become a coastal state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California