Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:24 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,016,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaloche View Post
i paid $3000 for a year in tuition alone at community college, but it seems unreasonable to move from a place where the cost of living is too high to a place where its higher. So I'm considering austin texas now. Some of the lowest tuition, in the nation, lower cost of living then new york, and a great business program at the university of texas. Any thoughts?

Not all of CA has really high costs of living. The central valley has plenty of communities colleges (and some 4 year schools) and the cost of living is not too bad. I guess the wages are lower accordingly. You would also have to wait a year to establish residency.

Won't you have to wait in TX too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 09:13 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,124,165 times
I'm not sure I understand why Papaloche is having a problem, financial aid packages are just as generous in New York State as anywhere else in the country. Even without taking out a loan, the grants will usually cover tuition and books at the very least, unless you or your parents make a very high income.

Are you a citizen of another country, Papaloche?

Old 12-24-2007, 04:52 PM

107 posts, read 578,714 times
line cook? sou chef? exec chef? what kind of culinary skills are we talking about here?

Unless i've completely lost touch, the culinary world is a very tight knit group. I'm sure you know someone who has worked with someone that's in CA or TX...see where you can get a job first. find out through trade channels instead of here, most people are oblivious to what's goin on in the kitchen of the restraunt they eat.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:36 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,069,290 times
America.. what a wonderful country,, free free free

Nothing is free... those of us that struggle to pay taxes can tell you this

California schools are not free.. some are lower cost than others depending upon subsidies paid for through taxation of those of us that pay into the system

I have been going to EMT school at our local community college.. while Im sure the course is subsidized like all education here it also costs WAY more than regular courses with extra fees... but around me I see a college FULL of people who are getting free tuition through various grants scholarships or outright gifts... makes me sick.. all they are is another word for entitlements.. and that is the wrong thing for California and WILL bankrupt the state.. we cant educate the world for free

line chefs in Redding make 7.50-14.00 per hour

Old 12-26-2007, 09:08 PM

12 posts, read 101,508 times
i don't mind waiting i'll just get a job and establish myself and continue to furiously save money

Old 12-27-2007, 05:13 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,124,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
...I have been going to EMT school at our local community college.. while Im sure the course is subsidized like all education here it also costs WAY more than regular courses with extra fees... but around me I see a college FULL of people who are getting free tuition through various grants scholarships or outright gifts... makes me sick.. all they are is another word for entitlements.. and that is the wrong thing for California and WILL bankrupt the state.. we cant educate the world for free
I don't think California needs to give financial aid to people from out of state, illegals, nor mediocre students (only the latter actually get state aid, as far as I know). But good students? Hell yes. It would be the final nail in the coffin of our first world status if we didn't subsidize good students. Without that, we'd probably end up like some thirdworld hellhole in a few generations (not impossible that we're headed in that direction even WITH decent higher education).

Old 12-28-2007, 09:24 PM

32 posts, read 128,037 times
Tuition is not free in California. You have to live here for one year to even get the resident rate. Then you can apply for financial aid and maybe if you're poor enough you could get your community college units paid for. But that's all the free you're going to get.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
but around me I see a college FULL of people who are getting free tuition through various grants scholarships or outright gifts... makes me sick.. all they are is another word for entitlements.. and that is the wrong thing for California and WILL bankrupt the state.. we cant educate the world for free
Umm, scholarships are earned by a high level of achievement, they are private and they aren't provided by the state, so they're not entitlements and they aren't going to be bankrupting the state. Also, as far as I know, the state doesn't give away presents to random people just because they are nice, so "gifts" aren't going to bankrupt the state either. Grants are another thing.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaloche View Post
i paid $3000 for a year in tuition alone at community college, but it seems unreasonable to move from a place where the cost of living is too high to a place where its higher. So I'm considering austin texas now. Some of the lowest tuition, in the nation, lower cost of living then new york, and a great business program at the university of texas. Any thoughts?
Go to Texas.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:42 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,682,324 times
There IS a one year residency requirement then the tuition at the community colleges is $20 per unit. Your income has to be below about $11K to get any State aid and private scholarships go mostly to kids just graduating from high school. State colleges are running about $1900 per semester but there are grants available and lots of loans. California mimimum wage rises to a big fat $8 an hour Jan 1. Paradise it ain't, but good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California