Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for a Californian to live?
Las Vegas, NV 1 3.70%
Phoenix, AZ 0 0%
Seattle, WA 4 14.81%
Portland, OR 6 22.22%
Salt Lake City, UT 0 0%
Denver, CO 2 7.41%
Austin, TX 1 3.70%
Houston, TX 0 0%
San Antonio, TX 0 0%
Dallas, TX 0 0%
Atlanta, GA 0 0%
Nashville, TN 1 3.70%
Memphis, TN 0 0%
Tucson, AZ 1 3.70%
Washington DC 0 0%
Richmond, VA 0 0%
Miami, FL 1 3.70%
Orlando, FL 1 3.70%
Tampa, FL 0 0%
Jacksonville, FL 1 3.70%
Virginia Beach, VA 0 0%
Charlotte, NC 1 3.70%
Raleigh, NC 0 0%
New Orleans, LA 0 0%
Oklahoma City, OK 0 0%
Other 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 03:14 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,262,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Oh yeah I forgot, just last year I had a few more relatives who moved to South Dakota from CA.

And also had friends who moved to Las Vegas.
Fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 02:02 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,477,409 times
Minneapolis. I'm totally serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njKkzvV6iQA

Old 08-08-2014, 08:08 AM

521 posts, read 729,842 times
We got the hell out last year and moved to Kauai. Love it! If we were to stay on the mainland we would have gone to Boulder CO.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:41 PM

4 posts, read 3,791 times
I think San Diego. It's a very calm beach town with a low crime rate. It is true LA is smoggy and has bad air pollution and has a pretty high crime rate in certain regions.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,765,597 times
I think it was NoMoreSnowForMe that said that Texas is their second favorite state after California. I pick on Texas sometimes because of a select few outrageous conservatives that come out of there, but I'd probably have to pick Texas as my second favorite, too. It also has much more in common with California than residents in either state would generally care to admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Well, that's where I am, and there's plenty of us and everybody else here, so it works for a lot of people.

It's like a blander IE with less grit, snow, no palm trees, less diversity, and a bunch more yuppies, but most disagree with me on all of that. How dare I, right?

From that list, the only one that would work for me is where I already am. I could probably do Seattle, Portland, and Salt Lake City, but I'd have to make concessions that I'd rather not make.
A blander IE? That seems harsh, but then again I've never been to Denver. It also isn't a place that just speaks to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Minneapolis. I'm totally serious.
But you'd have to live in the Midwest. And on top of living in the Midwest, you'd have to live in blistering cold winter for four months of the year, and moderately cold (at least by Californian or Southern standards) for another 2-3 months.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,336,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I think it was NoMoreSnowForMe that said that Texas is their second favorite state after California. I pick on Texas sometimes because of a select few outrageous conservatives that come out of there, but I'd probably have to pick Texas as my second favorite, too. It also has much more in common with California than residents in either state would generally care to admit.
Yep, that was me. It's the people in TX that I really love. The culture is very laid back and very friendly. And even though I'm basically a democrat, the republican Texans I met were happy to just not talk politics and have a good time.

Whenever I've gone to TX, and I've been in different areas - Segovia (Kerrville area), outside of Dallas, and Austin, it was really hard to leave because the folk there kept telling me/us we had to stay for just one more barbecue, etc.

My favorite TX story: My boyfriend and I were driving across TX from LA to Nashville, and we realized it was St. Patricks Day. We were both Irish, so we were on a mission to find a green beer or an Irish coffee. We saw a sign for a motel/bar in Segovia, TX. We go inside and guess what? It's a dry county. They can't sell us any alcohol unless we're a member or a guest of a member.

We were only about 30 years old a the time, and lamented that here it was St. Patrick's Day and us being Irish, and what on earth are we going to do? Well, of course, one of the guys sitting at the bar made us his guests so we could have our Irish drinks.

Then, of course, we couldn't drive after they kept buying us drinks for the Irish kids on St. Patrick's Day. So, they gave us a free motel room in their motel. The only empty one they had was the handicap room, and that became a long time joke between us all.

We get up in the morning and they fed us, wouldn't let us pay for it. Then, told us they'd called all their friends and they were going to have a barbecue in our honor the next day, and so we had to stay.

After we were there approximately 2 weeks, we finally told them we had to leave! They took my boyfriend rattlesnake hunting, they took us to an outdoor dance floor where they taught us how to two-step (I think that place was in Kerrville). They invited us back the next year for a river contest they have for I think it was Memorial Day weekend, where people build weird rafts and race them down the Guadalupe River.

And this is only one of my Texas stories. They are the most hospitable, friendly, down-to-earth folk I've ever met. Even if they are republican... I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but one of the people we met who invited us to stay with them when we came back for the Guadalupe River race, is one of the wealthiest people in America. Family owned an oil company that is now Shell or something crazy. Nicest people. You'd never know it other than that the art on their walls are originals.

So, yes, despite the bugs and the weather, if I HAD to leave CA, I'd move to Texas in a heartbeat. And it wouldn't matter if I knew a soul. That wouldn't last long in TX.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
But you'd have to live in the Midwest. And on top of living in the Midwest, you'd have to live in blistering cold winter for four months of the year, and moderately cold (at least by Californian or Southern standards) for another 2-3 months.
Its such a nice metro area though - so much to do, progressive without being stupid about it, solid economy, reasonably priced real estate. I lived in Des Moines, Iowa for a year and a half and ran up to the Twin Cities whenever I could (its four hours north). The cold in the middle of winter is brutal, but from March through October its fine.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:02 PM

21,627 posts, read 16,153,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Its such a nice metro area though - so much to do, progressive without being stupid about it, solid economy, reasonably priced real estate. I lived in Des Moines, Iowa for a year and a half and ran up to the Twin Cities whenever I could (its four hours north). The cold in the middle of winter is brutal, but from March through October its fine.
Really? Well, not really. I grew up in St. Paul. March is still winter. Turning to mud season late March with the melting snow. In between re-freezes and snow storms (yes, sometimes snow for May Day can happen even). Depending on the year, the last week of April / first week of May things turn nice. For a couple weeks. Then the B-52 size mosquitoes come to stay for the next 3 - 4 months. With the heat waves. With the 90% humidity. And the thunderstorms. (Although the thunder storms are kinda sorta interesting some of the time.) About end-ish of August, the 'squitoes finally die off and September is GREAT! Yeah! And then it goes cold. And Dark again.

Bon Voyagie, as Bugs used to say. You go Beau.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You go Beau.
I almost went! I had started job hunting in Minneapolis just before I decided to come back to California (one of the bigger mistakes of my life). Oh, well.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:07 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,262,821 times
Minneapolis sounds like one of if not the most tolerable cities in the Midwest. You can certainly rule out the Rust Belt cities and if you want to upgrade to Chicago you'll have to pay for it. Never been to the Twin Cities though.

One of the bigger issues I have in terms of weather back East (aside from the outright humidity) is the temperature swings. A weekly forecast in April like...

Sun: 50/39
Mon: 61/54
Tues: 54/22
Wed: 29/19
Thurs: 33/22
Fri: 41/25
Sat: 50/31

This really bothers the heck out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California