Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,968,023 times

Advertisements

The current drought is having a negative profound effect on our state's pot crop. Law enforcement is cracking down on growers that misappropriate water.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/07/us...abis.html?_r=0

Old 08-07-2014, 12:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
And then there's rice...talk about a thirsty crop...

Drought

I love how the rice industry is making it all about the birds. Oh no, if we can't grow rice - all the birds will die!!!

Oh wait, they can go somewhere else...like the rivers or the delta......

Shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone that!

Old 08-07-2014, 05:03 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Drought

I love how the rice industry is making it all about the birds. Oh no, if we can't grow rice - all the birds will die!!!

If bird populations are buoyed by unsustainable agricultural practices, then the whole situation is ****.

Change it Butthead, change it!

Old 08-08-2014, 07:36 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,075,224 times
The average marijuana plant takes six gallons of water a day...
We don't have enough water to grow food so half a million acres are fallow... going through Orkand or Corning you can readily see farmers cutting h their orchards down... no water

Here in my county whole ecosystems are being lost by the wholesale destruction of damned up streams by dopers taking every drop for their crops
...not to mention the forest fire one started that killed one of our residents and burnt 13000 acres... thanks Freddy Smoke
Yep...don't get me started
I wish the stuff killed quickly instead of slowly ...

Old 08-08-2014, 07:42 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,054,132 times
Urinate on it and sell it as skunk weed.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:25 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,652,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
The average marijuana plant takes six gallons of water a day...
And you know this how?
Because that is an exaggerated number.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:15 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
oh my heart goes out to pot growers!!! The state has fires, (my brother evacuated last weekend) the farmers can't get enough water to grow their crops, the beautiful green landscapes are drying up and we should feel so bad about the pot crop? My heart goes out to everyone living in the state and I hope you soon get some much needed rain. Yes rain to grow everything.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:19 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,075,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
And you know this how?

State of California Deartment of Fish and Game... with assistance from the water resources board....

A single pot plant consumes 6 gallons of water a day

A Single Pot Plant Uses HOW Much Water?! | Mother Jones

http://www.wealthdaily.com/articles/...marijuana/5244

I assume your expertise is with firsthand knowledge?.. so tell us expert.. how much water a day does the typical marijuana plant use (lets say 10 feet with a six foot canopy)?

People who grow drugs always like to tell the rest of us how its natural and not harmful... marijuana growing is wholly destructive

Old 08-09-2014, 05:28 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,281,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
The current drought is having a negative profound effect on our state's pot crop. Law enforcement is cracking down on growers that misappropriate water.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/07/us...abis.html?_r=0
Your choice of title is misleading.

The legality of growing marijuana is subject to certain terms and restrictions. It isn't a free-for-all like many people think. Additionally, it isn't legal to grow it on Federal lands, which is often the case. It also isn't legal to steal or divert water. Where it is legal to grow it is legal to water, as long as you aren't stealing the water. However, even in the cases where people are using and paying for water use legally, it still presents problems when there are a lot of pot growers using a disproportionate amount of water when the supply is limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Drought

A large portion of the Sacramento Valley was once habitat for waterfowl. Now that habitat is limited to the remaining riparian areas, and the rice fields. A large amount of that water flows through the rice fields and into the Sacramento River where it is used further south.

And I'll agree their statement is politically motivated, but so is your post. At least there is some truth in their statement.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:33 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,281,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
And you know this how?
Why do you think it is exaggerated? Some types of vegetation are known for high rates of transpiration. Enough that the transpiration creates humid conditions that maintain rainforests. And if it is grown in the ground I can see the water usage greatly exceeding six gallons a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California