Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:07 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
It's a cemetery redeveloped into a dog park.

It's simply not realistic to pay a couple of thousand dollars for a plot of land and expect to have it for eternity. It's just not going to happen.
It isn't an issue of paying for a plot, but one of historical preservation.

And the cost is much more than a couple thousand. Much more, for a very small plot. More than you would pay for a house when you break it down into cost per square foot.

But, if you want to argue those points, how is it any different than any other type of property someone paid for? If someone purchased 10 acres and everyone in their family agreed to keep it in the family for eternity, the only people who would argue against it would be the ones who would have some financial benefit from taking the land.

And another thing, why is it OK to do this when it is someone else's relatives, but not OK if it is their relatives who are buried there? I guarantee that if the same people who want that dog park had relatives buried in that cemetery they would be looking for another location for that dog park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 06:02 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Stop burying people.
1. It's a bad use of space.
2. It makes no sense economically.
3. It's creepy.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:12 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
There are almost no cemeteries in San Francisco (at least not anymore - they were moved to colma early in the 20th century). I have no problems with letting dogs use an old cemetery - at least it will be used.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:42 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
I don't know...old cemetery turned into a dog park, bones just waiting to be dug up....there's a joke in there somewhere.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:27 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Who cares - they're dead!

Old 08-10-2014, 04:23 AM

702 posts, read 953,548 times
The community needs a park a whole lot more than they need a morbid field of death markers in their neighborhood. Save the most interesting headstones and put them in a museum(or even a small display at the site), junk the rest.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:34 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post

And the cost is much more than a couple thousand. Much more, for a very small plot. More than you would pay for a house when you break it down into cost per square foot.

But, if you want to argue those points, how is it any different than any other type of property someone paid for? If someone purchased 10 acres and everyone in their family agreed to keep it in the family for eternity, the only people who would argue against it would be the ones who would have some financial benefit from taking the land.

And another thing, why is it OK to do this when it is someone else's relatives, but not OK if it is their relatives who are buried there? I guarantee that if the same people who want that dog park had relatives buried in that cemetery they would be looking for another location for that dog park.
But that family will only own that property for as long as they pay the taxes on it.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:36 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
There are organizations throughout the United States who document and map graveyards for the purpose of preserving the information and providing research, especially genealogical information. I dont know how far back this goes or if the particular cemetery of which you write has been documented.

I kinda agree with those who think that graveyards should not exist through time immemorial. OTOH I do think the information of who is buried where should be preserved.

My little town has three cemeteries, one of which is located next to a primary school. Kinda creepy if you ask me. The primary cemetery is located on bad ground on a hillside, not suitable for development. A couple of hiking trails go through it, trails that lead to a vista overlooking the town and the world beyond. A spectacular view by the way. One might consider it disrespectful for hikers to be marching through.

I grew up in Palo Alto, CA. The major cemetary is located on Arastadero Road near Junipero Serra. Pretty place with bright green well trimmed lawns. When I was a kid, that location was out in the boonies. Today it is a prime location in Silicon Valley. I can see the people of the area, due to pressure for more housing in more central locations, eyeing it for development.

I leave with these words, written by Raymond Chandler and printed in his first novel, The Big Sleep.

What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on the top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that. Oil and water were the same as wind and air to you. You just slept the big sleep, not caring about the nastiness of how you died or where you fell.

Me?

Well, my family all know full well where I want to end up. Cremation, my ashes scattered overlooking the most beautiful view in the world. Then who knows where my funeral urn would end up? I'd prefer to be buried there, but state law forbids that.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:49 AM

24 posts, read 70,142 times
Of all the things in California to complain about...this is front page news? Guess if this meaningless distraction is deliberate or not.

Dogs running around a cemetery vs 500 Ms13 members crossing the border last night, jobs leaving the state every day, welfare everywhere, crazy taxes, impossible COL, etc etc.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine69to71 View Post
City Dumps Hundreds Of Christian, Jewish And Veterans Headstones And Then Turns Cemetery Into A Dog Park

CBS News Article: Controversy Continues Over Former Ventura Cemetery Now Used As Dog Park
]http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/10/24/controversy-continues-over-former-ventura-cemetery-now-used-as-dog-park/
VENTURA (CBSLA.com) — A decade’s long controversy continued Wednesday over whether a former cemetery in Ventura should remain a dog park.
St. Mary’s Cemetery, located between Main and Poli streets, was turned into a recreational space in the mid-1960s.
The city removed the tombstones, but the nearly 3,000 bodies that were buried there remained at the grave site.

Major TV News Networks Coverage On This Disgrace
http://www.restorestmarys.org/Videos.html#Cable

Join our Cause. Pledge To Help Finally Bring Respect To These Veterans Graves https://www.causes.com/actions/1771989-pledge-to-help-finally-bring-respect-to-these-veterans-graves

Restore St. Mary's Cemetery organizer is Steve Schleder.
You can email him at: steve_schleder@restorestmarys.org
Please contact Steve Schleder at his Facebook page for the history of this disgrace, and hope for the future.
https://www.facebook.com/steve.schleder.71?fref=nf

MORE DETAILS AT: http://www.restorestmarys.org/

For on-going details and a current status of the cemetery-dog-park, PLEASE join the Facebook group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RestoreStMarys/ Besides the thousands of other current graves, there are still 76 American veterans (including a Medal Of Honor holder) buried here. Please find out at this linked Facebook group how YOU, your family and your friends can get involved in helping to end this DISGRACE.
Here's how you end the disgrace. You raise some funds and put up a memorial plaque with the names of the deceased buried there, and include some history, etc.

Then you have a lovely memorial plaque unveiling ceremony, where all participants can bring their dogs.

Then you get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California