Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:38 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,425,928 times

Advertisements

Anyone here who used to live in California, and then relocated elsewhere only to eventually return? And what brought you back?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,363,311 times
Grew up in CA, moved to WA out of high school (knew hippy friends there, got job there, married, etc.), moved to TN for work, moved back to WA because my daughter moved back there. Moved back to CA and my daughter shortly followed me and she stayed in CA, too.

Weather and the culture brought me back.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,288,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Grew up in CA, moved to WA out of high school (knew hippy friends there, got job there, married, etc.), moved to TN for work, moved back to WA because my daughter moved back there. Moved back to CA and my daughter shortly followed me and she stayed in CA, too.

A tour of duty in Tennessee after growing up in CA?

Wow. You're lucky not to be in a straight jacket right now.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A tour of duty in Tennessee after growing up in CA?

Wow. You're lucky not to be in a straight jacket right now.

LOL! Major culture shock. Though, there were a lot of things I really liked about Tennessee. My daughter was in middle school there and has fond memories. We were in the Nashville and Franklin areas when we lived there.

The only thing I sincerely miss, though, are fireflies. Magical.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:46 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,669,781 times
Moved to CA for work after growing up in the Midwest. Chose it over FL. Moved away to travel and go back to school. Returned (left Boston) when I scored a great job on the coast.

I came back because its one of the best places in the world.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:59 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,425,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I hear 'ya! Everywhere else seems to be either too many bugs, too flat, or else too much rain, snow or humidity (and that's before we even get to the local 'culture'… or the lack thereof)!

Old 09-23-2014, 11:38 AM

14,247 posts, read 11,550,945 times
Not me personally, but I have four fairly close friends who moved their families out of state, planning to stay out of state, but returned to SoCal within 1-2 years. The destinations were Idaho, Lynchburg, VA; and Tennessee (two). The families who went to Idaho and Virginia came back because they lost the jobs they had taken in those states and were unable to find comparable work. They did say those states were lovely and they wished they could stay. On the other hand, the two families who went to Tennessee both told me they just couldn't stand the bugs, the humidity, and the culture shock.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:42 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,482,878 times
Moved to Des Moines, Iowa for a year and a half. It was nice, but I was glad to get back home. Was going to college there, but my dad became ill with cancer and I decided to finish up in California.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:38 PM

56 posts, read 101,643 times
Was born and raised in the Central Valley (Bakersfield) and couldn't wait to leave California when I was younger. Married my husband who was in the Navy and we lived in Washington D.C. and Maryland for four years. When my husband got out, he couldn't wait to get back home to California, as he'd been stationed all over the East Coast and Japan. Me personally, I could have been very happy staying on the East Coast, I really liked it there. However, my husband was very lucky to land a great job in California and alas, here we are.

Now that I am a little older and wiser, I truly appreciate this beautiful and diverse state we live in. I don't think we will ever leave again.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I hear 'ya! Everywhere else seems to be either too many bugs, too flat, or else too much rain, snow or humidity (and that's before we even get to the local 'culture'… or the lack thereof)!
OH how could I forget to mention the lack of bugs in CA. I have blocked the bug memories from my mind, apparently.

In WA the mosquitos can carry you away. The cockroaches in TN are plotting to take over the world.

The year I moved to Nashville was one of the 13 year cicada plagues, just a few weeks after I moved there. Horrendous!

But, the cockroaches, OMG. Even if you have regular pest control, whenever you walk into a kitchen (no matter how clean you keep it), you can see and hear them scatter, if you go in there when it's dark and turn on the light. They are huge and smart, too!

Yikes!

But, I loved the summer thunderstorms and sitting on the porch watching the storm at night. You can't sleep, so you might as well sit out on the porch and watch the show. And just before the storm breaks all the fireflies in the yard all of a sudden all fly up into the trees. Fireflies are amazingly wonderful things. I do truly miss them. I think God put fireflies in TN to help make up for the cockroaches and cicadas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California