U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 12:29 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,310,049 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in trying out Lewiston Lake (in the Trinity national forest) in the next couple weeks. Can someone give me some tips for shore fishing this lake? Also is there a bait shop at the lake for nightcrawlers and such, or do I need to get those at Weaverville? Generally my success at lakes is minimal - I tend to be more of a fly fisherman on small creeks, so any suggestions are welcome. Should I fish just under the surface or on the bottom?

Are the nearest hotels in Weaverville?

thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 01:14 PM

18,699 posts, read 26,470,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I'm interested in trying out Lewiston Lake (in the Trinity national forest) in the next couple weeks. Can someone give me some tips for shore fishing this lake? Also is there a bait shop at the lake for nightcrawlers and such, or do I need to get those at Weaverville? Generally my success at lakes is minimal - I tend to be more of a fly fisherman on small creeks, so any suggestions are welcome. Should I fish just under the surface or on the bottom?

thanks!
I google mapped the area. Looks like you can find a hotel in Lewiston.

Lewiston Hotel - Lewiston, CA | Yelp

Hotel Lewiston, CA

I would call these guys up and ask them about the fishing, too.

Have fun! Looks pretty up there. Never been.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:32 PM

16,205 posts, read 19,164,670 times
Quote:

thanks!
Get some Pileworms or Bloodworms. I've never seen a fish that didn't love em......Keep them cool but don't sit them on top of ice.

It's always a good idea to try some Rapala & Rebel lures (my favorites are shallow diving) or spinners.

I've never been to Lewiston Lake, yet...

Best of luck to you... https://www.google.com/search?q=lewi...w=1536&bih=740

Old 08-10-2014, 01:47 PM

2,238 posts, read 2,556,136 times
This may help.

Fishing News - Full Story

California Fishing Report - Trinity River, Trinity Lake, Lewiston Lake

Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the tips and suggestions folks. I've never used pileworms or blood worms but I will definitely buy some if the bait shop has them. Any suggestions on how to rig these for the lake?

Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 PM

Well, I went up to Lewiston, and I have to say: my impression of fishing in California unfortunately has not improved at all. I was thinking that if I got a fair distance away from the populated areas, the fishing would improve, but that's not the case. It's just as poor up there as it is down here. I enjoy fishing, but this state is not making it worthwhile! .... Anyway, I'll probably give the Russian River a shot soon and see if my luck fares any better.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Well, I went up to Lewiston, and I have to say: my impression of fishing in California unfortunately has not improved at all. I was thinking that if I got a fair distance away from the populated areas, the fishing would improve, but that's not the case. It's just as poor up there as it is down here. I enjoy fishing, but this state is not making it worthwhile! .... Anyway, I'll probably give the Russian River a shot soon and see if my luck fares any better.
I haven't fished in California in years. I did have good luck most of the time at some of my favorite fishing holes like Camanche Lake south shore. I brought my boat or I rented a boat there. Many times bass hit on a green plastic worm. Ask at the store what they are biting. There is also a pretty nice pond that they stock with trout, etc. Catfish love Pileworms, fishing the shallow end, I preferred but the whole lake is good.

We've had luck & happy times camping & fishing at CA Aqueduct, Delta/Mendota canal, San Luis O'Neill Forebay catching Striped Bass & catfish, close to Santa Nella

So You Think You Know California, Eh? Ok. Where Is This? <<< One way to rig your line on the canals

Lake Camanche Recreation, Central California: Fishing, Boating, Camping, Cottages, RVing

We had good luck mostly in the boat at Nacimiento Lake & San Antonio Lake over by Hunter Liggett.

I used to have good luck at Pinto Lake in Watsonville.

Pinto Lake Park: RV campground, quiet lake camping near the Monterey Bay / Santa Cruz

Best of good luck to you. You might like to ask ??? on one of the CA fishing forums.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+fishing+forum

With fishing you gotta be a t the right place, at the right time, with the right offering.
Most lakes the fish are in only 10 % of the water, 90% there is nada bites.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:13 PM

The fishing used to be pretty good at Coyote Lake, over Gilroy way.

The Fish Sniffer - Coyote Lake

They catchem over at McAlpine Lake & Park south of Gilroy

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...oBAAA&tbs=lf:1

Old 08-26-2014, 02:01 PM

2,238 posts, read 2,556,136 times
Being an extremely avid fisherman, I follow the fishing reports regularly. With the drought, this has been a very challenging year. Trout usually won't bite in the summer when the water is warm. Fish and game won't stock in warm waters. If a person is fishing this time of year, it's best to target warm water species such as bass, catfish, and blue gill. The best California trout waters this time of year can be found by where fish are being stocked. I'm including the stocking schedule provided by Ca dept of fish and game.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/

I'm also including a solar lunar table to determine the best days to fish in the month, and the best time of day to fish.

Worldwide Solunar Best Hunting Times and the Best Fishing Times Forecast and Prediction Tables for your own Geographic Specific Location - Solunar Weekly Hunting and Fishing Times Calendar

Good Luck

I may also add, this time of year the best time to catch trout is at first light. That means you need to be on the water just when you can barely see.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
With fishing you gotta be a t the right place, at the right time, with the right offering.
Most lakes the fish are in only 10 % of the water, 90% there is nada bites.
This I believe to be the case. Several years back, I went to the flaming gorge in Utah with my boat. The very first time I was there, I took my boat on the lake, only a minute from the docks, around the corner, into a little cove, dropped anchor and had the best 3 hours of effortless fishing in my life: every cast or second cast, I was hitting smallmouth bass or large trout. I stayed for about 3 hours - there was no point in staying any more, I had a full basket and returned home.

So I thought, this is the greatest lake ever!! I went back a second time and it was markedly worse. I think I had a trout or two. I went back a third time and absolutely nothing: not a single bite. After that I began to suspect that fish migrate around lakes depending on factors like temperature, food, water, clarity, andmaybe even things we aren't aware of as humans. And so you either need to know the lake extremely well, or have a fish finder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
I may also add, this time of year the best time to catch trout is at first light. That means you need to be on the water just when you can barely see.
Actually I'm very familiar with trout - I used to fly fish all the time in the Rocky Mountains before we moved to California. I just haven't had any luck whatsoever here, which is a shame because California has a lot of great outdoors. The best success I've had was backpacking (a couple years ago) into the King's Wilderness area in the Sierras and fly fishing on the small creeks in that area. Pretty decent success, comparable to the small streams I would fish in Colorado, The difference being that you can hook large trout even in a small stream in Colorado, but there didn't appear to be anything larger than 8" out in the Sierras.

Anyway, I do plan to hit up the Russian River in September and perhaps go back to Lewiston in October for a second try.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the links and suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California