Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 04:56 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,283,181 times

Advertisements

Snow would be the deal breaker for me. I don't care how nice or how cheap a place is ... I'd rather die than live in snow again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 08:00 AM

751 posts, read 1,171,151 times
Lets get serious for a minute! Comparing Indianapolis to any California city is like comparing grapes and pineapples. First, moving from any city in CA to Indianapolis is like going back in time 30 years. CA as bad as some may think it is, is at the forefront of just about anything. Indy is just a mid sized redneck city in the middle of the corn fields. I live in Minneapolis and I can't stress how terrible the cold weather is. If you don't mind taking a huge step down, then move to Indianapolis. I can't wait to leave for a warmer climate

Old 12-24-2007, 08:52 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,283,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Lets get serious for a minute! Comparing Indianapolis to any California city is like comparing grapes and pineapples. First, moving from any city in CA to Indianapolis is like going back in time 30 years. CA as bad as some may think it is, is at the forefront of just about anything. Indy is just a mid sized redneck city in the middle of the corn fields. I live in Minneapolis and I can't stress how terrible the cold weather is. If you don't mind taking a huge step down, then move to Indianapolis. I can't wait to leave for a warmer climate
I couldn't agree more ...

What I can't figure out is ... why are all of these people trying to convince us to move to places like Indianapolis?

I only traveled there once but, I had seen enough to know I wouldn't want to go back. Yet ... we get these threads that try to make these places sound like utopia.

If we wanted to leave California, I think most of us would have done it already.

I wonder ... do people post threads in other state forums and try to convince them to move elsewhere? Or ... is this unique to the California forum?

Old 12-24-2007, 10:14 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,055,421 times
I've endured two Midwestern winters. No Thanks.

No Ocean, No mountains, no real forests, no public land to speak of.

A big house is wonderful if you spend all your free time in it. I personally need a small house with a big garage. The time I spent in the Midwest was an almost unbearable boredom. No Ocean, ponds labeled as lakes, drainage ditches were called rivers. No mountains to climb. There's always ice fishing if you're really bored and feel the need to punish yourself.

Just remember it's cheap for a reason.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:25 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,530,714 times
Quote:
Lets get serious for a minute! Comparing Indianapolis to any California city is like comparing grapes and pineapples. First, moving from any city in CA to Indianapolis is like going back in time 30 years.
This is true. There is less traffic in Indy, better schools, more affordable housing.....just like California had 30 years ago.

Also, 97% of products and services available in SoCal are also available in just about every other medium sized city in the US thanks to internet, chains, etc.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:06 PM

226 posts, read 1,168,051 times
Quote:
I suppose Indianapolis is redneck. So would every city be besides Chicago and the Twin Cities in the Midwest. Most cities in the south would qualify as well. Phoenix and Las Vegas are proletarian blue-collar cities devoid of culture, and they seem to be very popular with Californians......Texas is a red-state redneck area, and they are flocking there as well(californians). Indianapolis isn't any more redneck than Houston, Dallas, or Austin. At this point, its just a matter of affordablility. Minnesota is a very provincial state as well, with Fargo-Canadian-UP speak, and a place not even close to being on the radar of Chicagoans, anymore than Indianapolis is. Per snow, I don't think the Californians that have moved to Colorado in the last 17 years are freaked out by it. Per redneck, the base mentality and cultural void that is Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Texas seems to be drawing in teams of Californians.....give them time, and they might find the midwest palatable, though hard to believe, eh?
(my best minnesota accent, sorry)......

Old 12-24-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I couldn't agree more ...

What I can't figure out is ... why are all of these people trying to convince us to move to places like Indianapolis?

I only traveled there once but, I had seen enough to know I wouldn't want to go back. Yet ... we get these threads that try to make these places sound like utopia.

If we wanted to leave California, I think most of us would have done it already.

I wonder ... do people post threads in other state forums and try to convince them to move elsewhere? Or ... is this unique to the California forum?
I guess my only point was that there are more places with affordable housing than Texas. My other point is that I lived in texas much of this year, and moved back to Chicago as I thought the state was a sh*thole. And I lived in what was considered the nicest city there, Austin. I saw California plates for days, and I just figured it would be nice to add a few places/choices for californians that are getting sick of the high housing prices/quality of life in Cal, and might be looking for someplace other than the blast furnace desert or the cultural wasteland, flat as midwest state of texas. I also think that many Californians may never have been to the midwest, and simply might not be familiar with the great quality-of-life/affordability combination in several midwest cities, such as Madison, Wisc., the twin cities, Des Moines, rural areas outside Chicago, and such. All regions in the USA seem to have people that are adaptable to all regions if need be. I get the impression that they spin Californians as if they couldn't survive outside the western region, let along thrive. I know thats not the case. The laughable thing is that most anglo californians came from the midwest originally, outside of the okies from oklahoma that migrated to bakersfield in the 30's.....and now they are migrating back east again. I suppose it may be impossible for some to imagine a californian happy in the midwest. That's just a mindset. California has jumped the shark in many areas long ago, per crime, traffic, pollution, illegal immigrants, and, most of all, housing affordability. At some point, even the midwest will start looking good. And thats where they all came from anyway, so you could just call it a homecoming.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:22 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,442,435 times
Alot of Cali expats seem to be coming to northwest Arkansas. The Fayetteville area.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
Alot of Cali expats seem to be coming to northwest Arkansas. The Fayetteville area.
And they will continue to push east and populate the south and midwest as
time goes on.......

Last edited by socrates1234; 12-25-2007 at 09:08 AM..

Old 12-25-2007, 07:31 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,494,176 times
I live in Indianapolis.

VERY FEW JOBS HERE IS WHY IT IS CHEAP TO LIVE HERE.

I hate it here. Very few jobs here. And people are cutthroat for the jobs they have. If you do have a job here, they sabotage and undermine you to look bad. People here are very insecure about their jobs. I frankly am tired of it. If they don't have the skills, they should expect some competition then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California