Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 11:37 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times

Advertisements

PS: I really want to move back to CA/San Diego, but I'm not going to move back until the drought and fires let up, which means that I may not be able to move back there before I die -- but I took one good look at Carlsbad on fire and that was the last straw. (Not particularly crazy about earthquakes either but -- at my age -- I'm willing to risk earthquakes. Well, maybe not, if I had to live in LA or The Bay Area.) I LOVE CA -- there are so many good things about CA -- just not THAT much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 11:45 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
Since everyone is so mad about housing and high prices in L.A., I really don't understand why you're complaining. I live in Rome and the average salary here is 36,000 USD compared to 62,000 USD and here is a full comparison:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
So basically L.A. is cheaper than Rome in almost every aspect, and people from Los Angeles make about TWICE as much money as people from Rome. Keep complaining, sure.
The local purchasing power which is cost of living vs income is 122% higher in Los Angeles. The local purchasing power is what is importan in comparing and in this aspect, the US cities are better than anywhere else.

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2014 at 07:12 AM..

Old 08-24-2014, 11:51 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
PS: I really want to move back to CA/San Diego, but I'm not going to move back until the drought and fires let up, which means that I may not be able to move back there before I die --
Why would this hold you back? Wild fires have always occurred in California, some years are worse than others depending on a variety of factors. For example this year (so far) hasn't been bad for wildfires due to lower temps and more humid weather, where as we've had massive wild fires in non-drought years.

The drought is primarily an issue for agriculture, California has plenty of water for its residents. But Californians are still very wasteful with water, for example, having lawns and backyard swimming pools is still very common throughout Southern California.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Why would this hold you back? Wild fires have always occurred in California, some years are worse than others depending on a variety of factors. For example this year (so far) hasn't been bad for wildfires due to lower temps and more humid weather, where as we've had massive wild fires in non-drought years.

The drought is primarily an issue for agriculture, California has plenty of water for its residents. But Californians are still very wasteful with water, for example, having lawns and backyard swimming pools is still very common throughout Southern California.
I have friends in OC, North SD County and San Diego -- I also know a high muckity-muck on a water authority board of a big city -- they disagree with you (but that doesn't make you wrong and them right either).

Anyway, since I'm planning on moving to Oceanside/Carlsbad/Encinitas, let's see if that desalination plant (which is not in operation yet) makes a difference for NSDC.

As for the fires -- I was living in CA when that big fire happened in NSDC -- I forget the year -- 1967-1069 -- the one where authorities were worried about fire reaching Pendleton's underground munitions storage -- I had to leave my college classes and go home to help my parents evacuate their home. I am terrified of fires -- may be irrational and maybe I'm much more cautious than most -- but, still, I know I'm not all alone in how I think/feel.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Droughts are a fact of life in California. The current one has not affected us. We don't have any rationing. They are predicting an " El Niño" this winter which should mean a wet winter. If this occurs, then the reservoirs will fill and the drought will be forgotten until the cycle starts over again.

They should spend some money on enhancing our water supply and stop the boongoggle high speed train that nobody wants.

Let the people complain all they want about California. I have lived in many places and California is by far the best but if the complaining about it keeps people away then I am all for it.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Droughts are a fact of life in California. The current one has not affected us. We don't have any rationing. They are predicting an " El Niño" this winter which should mean a wet winter. If this occurs, then the reservoirs will fill and the drought will be forgotten until the cycle starts over again.

They should spend some money on enhancing our water supply and stop the boongoggle high speed train that nobody wants.

Let the people complain all they want about California. I have lived in many places and California is by far the best but if the complaining about it keeps people away then I am all for it.
You are always so kind and gracious, John.

However -- you're wrong. It has affected you -- you just don't know it yet or are refusing to acknowledge it yet -- give it a little bit longer. I trust a big wig on the board of a water authority for a major city, rather than a 'civilian'. And, besides, if Southern CA, especially, is not being affected -- by one of the worst droughts it has ever had in recorded history -- then what is the desalination plant all about? The millions of dollars spent on its construction are just for kicks?

Old 08-24-2014, 02:20 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:

A bit of a self contradiction there John. I'm with you on keeping people away. Thus I would point out that the more you "enhance" livability, the more people will come. I oppose that damn train for the same reason. It is a no-win situation: either it's a failure and sinkhole for the money, or it encourages more people and development.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
A bit of a self contradiction there John. I'm with you on keeping people away. Thus I would point out that the more you "enhance" livability, the more people will come. I oppose that damn train for the same reason. It is a no-win situation: either it's a failure and sinkhole for the money, or it encourages more people and development.
The last I read -- and I may be wrong -- truly, I may be wrong -- is that more people are moving out of CA every year than moving in. [And even if the article was wrong -- it's a nice thought, yes? You can dream, right? ] I know what you mean about the population. Unfortunately, most of it is concentrated in Southern CA.

I had to smile when I read this: San Diego County has over 3 million people. The WHOLE state of NM -- which is smaller in size that CA but not by much at all -- has a total -- the whole state of NM -- of a little less than 2 million people. You can drive for hours here in NM (in the back country) and never pass another car -- I know that from personal experience! [And I can tell ya -- that can be a little scary. Especially when you are used to coastal Southern CA, where you have to push through a dozen people just to use the bathroom in your own home! I never realized -- until I moved to NM -- just how overpopulated coastal Southern CA really is. Our (two) malls, here in ABQ, are deserted (to me) even during Christmas holidays! The lack of population was the hardest thing for me to get used to in NM.]

Old 08-24-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I have friends in OC, North SD County and San Diego -- I also know a high muckity-muck on a water authority board of a big city -- they disagree with you (but that doesn't make you wrong and them right either).
They disagree on what basis? The majority of water used in California is for agricultural purposes and even much of the water used for personal use is wasted on trivial things like growing lawns and personal swimming pools. These are just the facts, the only question from there is if there enough water for residents if we start to get smart with water and the answer seems to be a clear yes. So far the state hasn't gotten very serious about conserving water because, contrary to all the hype, the state is pretty far from an imminent water disaster.

The situation may be worse in San Diego, I'm not sure, but it wouldn't be surprising given the political climate there. But Los Angeles has been pretty forward thinking with water management.

Quote:
I am terrified of fires -- may be irrational and maybe I'm much more cautious than most -- but, still, I know I'm not all alone in how I think/feel.
Only a very small fraction of homes are at risk from wild fires so if one is worried about such thing....simply get a home in a more urbanized area that isn't at risk for wild fires. But, as I was trying to imply, the risk of wild fires in California exists every year regardless of whether there is a drought. A drought increases the risk but other factors matter as well as can be seen this year....bad drought conditions but few wild fires.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
California has been investing in water infrastructure for decades, in fact, the only reason the state has such a high population is a testament to how well water has been managed in the state. But at this point in the game investing more in infrastructure isn't the answer, instead using water more intelligently which costs very little.

I, and many others, want the high speed rail to be built. Many decades ago California let the auto companies destroy public transit infrastructure....its time for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California