U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:45 AM

7 posts, read 5,750 times

Advertisements

How long is too long to get onto a lease? I can't seem to find any State or local laws in California. Most i'm seeing is it shouldn't take more than a week to be approved to get onto a lease as a roommate. It is getting close to a month and the company does not contact us on any kind of details of being approved or not. They are also wanting to do an inspection and is this legal to do out of the blue and over the phone?. Roomate has never broken any kind of laws and keeps the apartment clean. Also can other tenants be allowed to prevent you from getting into the apartment complex that you are getting onto the lease for? As well as can the same tenant get you evicted without a true criminal cause as in you don't bother anyone in any shape or form and obey all laws. I ask this due to a nosy tenant who talks to the property owners and you have no idea what is being said about you. I also want to know what to do about very loud music all day long as in I'm upstairs and they blast their god awe full music in the early morning nonstop to where you feel the vibrations and hear the words clear as day sometimes. I really shouldn't be getting a headache from their music and be forced out of the apartment just to get away as well as putting in headphones to maybe drown them out which doesn't always work.

Last edited by vernamon; 08-24-2014 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: Nosy Tenant and highly loud tenant in the apartment below during day hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 06:34 AM

I'll clarify a tad more here. The only way we know of updates is from my roommate calling the management company whom is also the landlord. The inspection was found out when the roommate called to get a status update, which again is taking way longer than it should as is told to call back in a couple days and done more than once. We just need to know if we have some kind of court case from all this as it doesn't seem right to how this process is going. There are outlets that are very loose and nothing has been done. I feel it is a major potential fire hazard waiting to happen. They know about it too.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:04 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,443,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernamon View Post
...a nosy tenant who talks to the property owners...very loud music all day long...they blast their god awe full music in the early morning nonstop...you feel the vibrations and hear the words clear as day sometimes...getting a headache from their music...forced out of the apartment just to get away...
Quote:
...There are outlets that are very loose and nothing has been done. I feel it is a major potential fire hazard waiting to happen...
If the place is that miserable and unsafe, why in the world would you want to get on the lease to live there even longer?

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 08-24-2014 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 11:32 AM

1,974 posts, read 2,723,689 times
If you don't absolutely have to, don't ever get into a lease situation.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
If the place is that miserable and unsafe, why in the world would you want to get on the lease to live there even longer?
This does not answer my main questions about how long it should take to get onto a lease. They are taking WAY too much time and thus far don't seem to know what the hell they are doing up at the management office whom again is also the landlord. I am trying to move in with my sister and her husband as roommates as they asked us to do so for a couple of reasons one to look after their dog when they are gone and two look after the apartment.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:03 PM

379 posts, read 653,584 times
It took me close to a month to get approved for a lease several years ago. We called the property management company to see what was taking so long, and it turned out a potential roommate's landlord talked smack about them. We were able to get the lease once my roommate got a cosigner.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLover View Post
It took me close to a month to get approved for a lease several years ago. We called the property management company to see what was taking so long, and it turned out a potential roommate's landlord talked smack about them. We were able to get the lease once my roommate got a cosigner.
Good to know and hope this doesn't go over a month. I am still in the dark on how long is too long to take legal action against this company due to how they manage things improperly. I mean getting notified of an inspection over the phone when they don't call you period is ridiculous. From what I've seen googling as far as inspections go they have to notify you by paper and not a "oh by the way" kind of deal over the phone when you are tying to get a status update. Shouldn't it be them and not you to call for that?

Old 08-24-2014, 03:45 PM

1,849 posts, read 2,128,269 times
Maybe nobody knows the answer!

Old 08-24-2014, 05:14 PM

1,974 posts, read 2,723,689 times
Quote:
How long is too long to get onto a lease? I can't seem to find any State or local laws in California. Most i'm seeing is it shouldn't take more than a week to be approved to get onto a lease as a roommate. It is getting close to a month and the company does not contact us on any kind of details of being approved or not. They are also wanting to do an inspection and is this legal to do out of the blue and over the phone?. Roomate has never broken any kind of laws and keeps the apartment clean. Also can other tenants be allowed to prevent you from getting into the apartment complex that you are getting onto the lease for? As well as can the same tenant get you evicted without a true criminal cause as in you don't bother anyone in any shape or form and obey all laws. I ask this due to a nosy tenant who talks to the property owners and you have no idea what is being said about you. I also want to know what to do about very loud music all day long as in I'm upstairs and they blast their god awe full music in the early morning nonstop to where you feel the vibrations and hear the words clear as day sometimes. I really shouldn't be getting a headache from their music and be forced out of the apartment just to get away as well as putting in headphones to maybe drown them out which doesn't always work.

I am not an attorney. I'm speaking mostly just from experience -- I've lived most of the past 40 years in apartment complexes.

It shouldn't take more than a few days. I have rented two apartments in the past 3 years, and both times it took 24-48 hours to get a criminal check done on me, a background check done on me, a credit report, and a reference from my prior landlords.

Am I correct that you're trying to move in with your relatives? If they are the tenants, why aren't they down in the Manger's office, speaking very nicely, about the situation?

As for noise, you, as a tenant/not as a visitor, are entitled, by law, to "quiet enjoyment". If you're not the tenant, then your relatives, who are the tenants, should contact management. If management does nothing, then call the police. However, you (and your relatives) do risk getting evicted. It's called a "retaliation eviction". The problem is this, however: the apartment owners simply say they don't want you (and your relatives) living there anymore, and you must leave, within 4-6 weeks of that notice. There is no recourse (there would be legal recourse if you were actually given an eviction notice but most property owners/managers don't want the hassle of going through an eviction -- costs them a lot of time and money). The good thing about being told to just leave: there is no eviction on your credit report, because, technically, you weren't evicted. Of course, that doesn't mean that you'll get a good reference from your this landlord either.

Now I'm talking about tenants. If you are not on the rental agreement/lease, you are a 'visitor'. Management can tell you to leave in a NY minute. So -- be very careful re what you do and say.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I am not an attorney. I'm speaking mostly just from experience -- I've lived most of the past 40 years in apartment complexes.

It shouldn't take more than a few days. I have rented two apartments in the past 3 years, and both times it took 24-48 hours to get a criminal check done on me, a background check done on me, a credit report, and a reference from my prior landlords.

Am I correct that you're trying to move in with your relatives? If they are the tenants, why aren't they down in the Manger's office, speaking very nicely, about the situation?

As for noise, you, as a tenant/not as a visitor, are entitled, by law, to "quiet enjoyment". If you're not the tenant, then your relatives, who are the tenants, should contact management. If management does nothing, then call the police. However, you (and your relatives) do risk getting evicted. It's called a "retaliation eviction". The problem is this, however: the apartment owners simply say they don't want you (and your relatives) living there anymore, and you must leave, within 4-6 weeks of that notice. There is no recourse (there would be legal recourse if you were actually given an eviction notice but most property owners/managers don't want the hassle of going through an eviction -- costs them a lot of time and money). The good thing about being told to just leave: there is no eviction on your credit report, because, technically, you weren't evicted. Of course, that doesn't mean that you'll get a good reference from your this landlord either.

Now I'm talking about tenants. If you are not on the rental agreement/lease, you are a 'visitor'. Management can tell you to leave in a NY minute. So -- be very careful re what you do and say.
Which is why I won't say a word and take action until I am on the lease. So I take it due to how long the process is going and how its done this company can be sued? I thank you and everyone else whom have been helpful about this. On another note from what I recently found out by my sister and her husband is that there is terrible patched up jobs on holes left by previous tenants so by logic in all this the company would likely lose in court if it came down to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or