Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:21 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2Paradise View Post
OP here. Thanks so much for the replies.

Salinas looks interesting, but I never took the time to learn Spanish, and with a Hispanic population of over 50%, I'm guessing many employers would be looking for someone bi-lingual. That might limit my options.

Monterey, Arroyo Grande, Santa Maria look like possibilities as well.

Someone mentioned Santa Cruz and it sounds like a great area, but jobs seem to be in short supply and I wasn't able to find a single 1 bedroom apartment listed for rent for under $1300. Does that seem accurate? Do most folks in Santa Cruz commute to San Jose for work?
Rents in Santa Cruz proper are higher than in the surrounding communities. Try Aptos, Scotts Valley, Ben Lomond, Bonney Doon, Fulton. There's job potential at the university in town, and yes, some people do commute to San Jose. Why are you limiting yourself to such low rent, when you have good earning potential?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 03:31 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Haha, sorry, didn't mean to ignore your suggestion. Wiki says Ventura County population is just shy of a million humans. Is there any real separation between Oxnard, Thousand Oaks and Ventura, or is it pretty much one large city now? How's traffic in general?
Oxnard and Ventura do blend into each other, but T.O. is separated from Oxnard by a large hill.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:31 PM

176 posts, read 263,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Rents in Santa Cruz proper are higher than in the surrounding communities. Try Aptos, Scotts Valley, Ben Lomond, Bonney Doon, Fulton. There's job potential at the university in town, and yes, some people do commute to San Jose. Why are you limiting yourself to such low rent, when you have good earning potential?
I'll research those places as well. As for wanting to keep expenses low, I have pretty aggressive savings goals and my income potential is less than it would appear on paper.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
You don't need to learn Spanish to live in Salinas. Not required by a long shot. Live in Salinas, work in Salinas or Monterey. Depending on the job they may say they prefer bilingual, but it's not required. No more than any other area in CA.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:48 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Try Felton, up the road a few miles from Santa Cruz. Personally, I like it better than SC.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:32 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Haha, sorry, didn't mean to ignore your suggestion. Wiki says Ventura County population is just shy of a million humans. Is there any real separation between Oxnard, Thousand Oaks and Ventura, or is it pretty much one large city now? How's traffic in general?
As already noted, there is a specific 'west county' and 'east county' that are quite separate. They are at different elevations and have completely different climates. Even Ventura and Oxnard have miles of farmland and a river between them. Everything is really spread out. More than 28% of all the county land is agricultural. There are only 2 highrise buildings in the county (Oxnard) and except for downtown Ventura (barely), none of the 10 cities feels urban or crowded.

Traffic is not bad at all by California standards. I commuted from the east to the west for the recent 7 years and only got stuck twice, by major accidents (not mine).

Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Try Felton, up the road a few miles from Santa Cruz. Personally, I like it better than SC.
Oops, yeah, I meant Felton. (typo)

Old 08-26-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I'll research those places as well. As for wanting to keep expenses low, I have pretty aggressive savings goals and my income potential is less than it would appear on paper.
There's a 1 br. apt. in Bonny Doon for $1200, and a 1 br. cottage in Soquel (another suburb of Santa Cruz) for $1150. You should be able to find housing that suits you in the general area.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:28 PM

176 posts, read 263,528 times
Thank you all for the feedback. My wife and I will be taking a few weeks in February to scout numerous locations in the recommended areas.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:10 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Your rent estimate is unrealistic but if you are willing to actually become more realistic about what it costs to live in nice places then maybe certain parts of San Luis Obispo County or Santa Barbara County would work for you. Bring your own job though. If having a job does matter to you two then stick to the larger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California