Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:04 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times

Advertisements

I'm reading various news articles about the new gas tax that will take effect next January, that will permanently add somewhere between $.15 and $.76 a gallon to your gas bill.

The point of the bill seems to be global warming and if gas prices go up, people will drive less, thus improving the environment. But one article said that the money raised will go to people in the Central Valley who have to commute for work.

Will you drive less? Or just pay more?

One article:
Effort underway to delay what some call 'hidden gas tax' in California - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 12:34 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I'm reading various news articles about the new gas tax that will take effect next January, that will permanently add somewhere between $.15 and $.76 a gallon to your gas bill.

The point of the bill seems to be global warming and if gas prices go up, people will drive less, thus improving the environment. But one article said that the money raised will go to people in the Central Valley who have to commute for work.

Will you drive less? Or just pay more?

One article:
Effort underway to delay what some call 'hidden gas tax' in California - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego
I drive maybe 50-60 miles a week. Not sure how I can drive less. I'm old, have a grat deal of trouble walking, and am dependent upon my car to get to the grocery store.

Screw Gerry. Screw the liberal left tyrants, screw CARB, screw all who think that punishing the poor, the elderly, and the working people of this state is something to embrace, just because of your idiotic adherence to the AGW agenda.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:05 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I don't have a choice. I have to drive. I'll just have to pay

Old 08-28-2014, 07:55 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don't have a choice. I have to drive. I'll just have to pay
Me too, I already carpool every day. Don't really have any other options.

Bohica, the liberals are at it again.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 AM

37 posts, read 78,995 times
I don't have much of a choice, I was transfer & my new location is 30 miles away. My previous location was only 5 miles & I used to ride my bicycle to work. I'll probably fix & start riding my motorcycle when the weather permits.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
I'm going to drive more so I can pay more taxes to help out those people.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:52 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times
Do you think maybe when cars went from getting 20 miles/gallon to 40 miles/gallon that the gas and sales taxes were reduced proportionately? People are encouraged to conserve but on the other hand penalized financially for doing so. Taxes are what grease squeaky political wheels.

People are going to pay the tax no matter what, but in the long run it'll cost the state more than what it will earn. Businesses will leave the state, as was mentioned, tourism will be impacted, more people will work from home, and many of the low paying jobs that support the California auto culture will be lost.

I also think many will go from commuting to a low paying job to some type of government subsistence program that pays more than minimum wage. Remember, these taxes are paid with after tax dollars.

Last edited by eccotecc; 08-28-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 08-28-2014, 09:25 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Do you think maybe when cars went from getting 20 miles/gallon to 40 miles/gallon that the gas and sales taxes were reduced proportionately? People are encouraged to conserve but on the other hand penalized financially for doing so.
An increase of 100% in efficiency results in a savings of 50%. An 18% (max) increase in cost of fuel still realizes a net savings of 32%. The probability is high that the increase will be less, and staged. Our actual cost increase will likely be closer to $0.15 than to $0.76 per gallon. Thus netting us somewhere closer to 40% fuel savings over yesterday's cars. Frustrating, but not exactly a penalty.

Except for knuckleheads like me who still drive 25-year-old pickup trucks

Old 08-28-2014, 12:03 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
My three year old car has less than 15,000 miles on it. I don't think I can drive any less.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:48 PM

702 posts, read 954,121 times
Drivers don't pay anywhere near what they cost society in damage to our environment, health, and safety; and they still won't when this tax goes into effect. Gas will still be far cheaper than in Europe. If you truly need to drive long distances to work, then buy a Leaf or a Volt. Consider moving closer to work, moving near a rail or bus line that goes to your work, finding a job closer to home, etc. We can't continue to subsidize machines that cause great harm to our planet, that's madness. This tax is just common sense - do the harm, pay the bill for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California