Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:45 AM

751 posts, read 1,177,685 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

I have been doing my research on CA and if you could choose one of these three cities to relocate to, which one would you choose and why? I love San Diego but my main concern is the local job market. It seems like the local job market might not be all that great(correct me if I am wrong). I have never been to Sacramento so I don't know much about it. San Jose seems to have more jobs than SD but it is more expensive, is it worth it though ? I work in the financial sector (financial analysis/accounting) and my fiance works in HR. We often complain about the job market here in Minneapolis but it is not really that bad compared to other cities. I would not want to move to a city that offers even less employment opportunities given the high cost of living in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 07:45 PM

609 posts, read 2,242,594 times
I think the Bay area might be better for you in terms of the sheer number of jobs. I know it is more technology there but San Francisco does have its share of banking and financial jobs as well.

San Diego will definitely have lesser jobs than the Bay area though if you consider Orange county then the scales are even. Commute in either place would be a nightmare.

Sacramento, I have never lived there so I will not comment.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:01 AM
CEO

39 posts, read 178,296 times
I would recommend San Jose since it's close to SF where most of the jobs are. But rent will be pretty steep.

I would also recommend San Diego, great town, weather, decent financial field related jobs. Rent is a concern but I think it's feasible.

I do not recommend Sacramento. Rent is cheaper but not worth it. Plus their really arent much jobs out here unless you want to work for the state.

I moved from Sac to SD because finance jobs are easier to come by plus life is much more fun down here.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 12,439 times
Honestly, I love Sacramento. I grew up here, and I'm going to be very sad if/when I have to relocate. Its a well balanced city to live in but I basically agree that there are not enough jobs. It's very hard to get a job in Sacramento if you ask me, but one contributing factor is the fact that Sacramento is mostly residential, and there are way too many people than there are jobs available.

I really do not like San Jose, but they do have much more promising job market (maybe not for minimum wage jobs but jobs requiring degrees & whatnot). San Jose has many business' headquarters such as eBay and many others.
San Diego, I cannot comment on. I've heard its got a decent job market.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:45 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
My opinion only, if you want the true California experience "as seen on TV," -- NOT -- move to San Diego for sun, sand and surf. If life in a souless urban sprawl appeals to you, move to San Jose. If living in the most "diverse" city in the country with a high crime rate on the floor of a wide valley and four seasons consisting of hot, hotter, hottest and cold & wet is your cup-o-tea, you'll love Sacratomato.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:58 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
San Jose and the rest of the Bay Area has more jobs in finance compared to San Diego or Sac.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:59 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Just to add to the discussion here. The unemployment rate in Santa Clara County (where San Jose is located) is over 11%. I don't know how that compares to the other cities, though. The sheer number of jobs here may be greater, but there is also a lot of competition for them in (what's considered to be) a premier metro area.

Also, no matter where you move in California, be prepared to get a lot less living space and to pay more money for it. The only exception might be Sacramento.

San Diego is probably the most fun place with the best weather. The incomes to cost of living ratio is likely to be tough. I know the least about SD. I've lived in Sac & have been in SJ for 14 years now.

San Jose is dull, but pleasant. Low crime, probably the best weather in NorCal, after San Luis Obispo. Incomes here are pretty high, but rents and home prices are very steep, too.

Sscramento is kinda dull like San Jose, but has a more balanced population. San Jose has too many tech geeks. Cheaper home prices. Higher crime. Not as unbearably hot as some Californians whine about. The weather in Sac. is way better than what you have in Minneapolis, but is the least desirable of the cities on your list.

Sacramento is probably the best place if you want to raise kids because the typical suburban lifestyle there is much cheaper than the other places (although it's still not a cheap area). It is also has less earthquake risk than the other cities.

Both the Bay Area and Southern California are overdue for big earthquakes.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:19 AM

979 posts, read 2,092,631 times
I not a fan of San Jose. I find Sac more appealing than SJ. SJ does have more jobs however and it is located in a much larger metro area; it's closer to SF, water, and Napa.

San Diego seems cool, but i actually prefer a four season weather. SD has way too much sun for me, but if that's what you want then go for it. I can't talk about the job market since I haven't spent too much time there.

Sac could be a good choice. It's a slower pace than SD and maybe SJ. Sac is not as urban, it's mostly residential. In terms of jobs, well there is the state government and healthcare. There are opportunities in those fields. Sac has four seasons, it's hot in the summer, pleasant in the spring, cold and rainy in the winter, and brisky in the fall. Sac is a democratic city as well compared to the republican stronghold in SD. There is some nightlife and culture but it is rather tame, but I guess SJ is the same way. Finally, living here is cheaper than SD and SJ.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:24 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,398 times
For all that is holy DO NOT go to live in San Jose. Or Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, ... The whole Silicon Valley is a dump as far as living goes. I can't even find a good restaurant around here and everything dies after 5pm socially. Which is weird because the median salary is way above 120K, so why no upscale food/social business moved in is a total mystery.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:23 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I don't think you've looked in the right places. Granted San Francisco has a lot more choices, but when it comes to restaurants, the areas you mentioned have a great selection. I've lived all over the United States and overseas...so it's not like I came from a small town with 10 restaurants and don't no any better. Yelp.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California