Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:10 PM

8 posts, read 23,568 times

Advertisements

I'm a military wife and husband is heading BACK to Iraq for another long year . I don't work nor do we have kids to restrict places in which to lay my hat for this adventure. I have an opportunity to go anywhere for the year and I would like to use this to test the waters of a new place less the military community and outside of east coast living. This time/place would also be a scouting mission to see where I want to go in the second half of my life as far as career opportunities and way of life. I'm in my 40's and feel completely lost this time round. As far as my interest I like cool weather, coastal areas, mountain ranges and don't mind the rain or fog. Also, enjoy snow sports and a broad range of outdoor activities. Plus my dog needs a lot of outside time in which to burn her energy. I do not like the glam slam that was noted while passing through LA several years ago.

Thoughts so far: CA the SLO area or northern coastal regions. I'm also looking at CO and Utah areas. I'll tell you if I could swing it I'd make my way back to England but with the exchange rate as is and their economy flatter than a bad hair day it's not feasible. I've thought about NZ and even NW Canada to relocate. I should spill that this 'may' be a long term home for me, as the time spent away from my spouse these last 4 years - have only seen him maybe 4 months out of those 4 years due to the war, has taken a huge toll on our 20 year marriage. I would welcome all suggestions to areas within your state and any others that come to mind. Thanks much. jo-danna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 05:06 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
First of all, sorry to hear about the vicissitudes of fortune that have led to what, in many other respects, sounds like a wonderful opportunity. I actually live just north of the border...at the top of the redwoods belt...in south coastal Oregon (the U.S. version of Cornwall), but I travel quite a bit in northern California, and to southern California once a year or so. I've also thought about several of the areas that you have, including SLO and NZ.
SLO is great in so many ways, and if you don't need to worry about schools or having a job, I can see why you'd place it high on the list. Nonetheless, SLO has always felt a bit soul-less to me. It's a difficult thing to put my finger on, and others may have a different impression. It isn't that I don't think it's a nice area; I do. A bit farther south, Ventura stills has some of the "old California" feel to it, though you're getting closer in to the spoilt paradise area of California. The warm Mediterranean climates in California are the most popular, but if you dislike warm temperatures, or the fog and clouds don't bother you, there will be less competition for the mythical GOOD PLACE TO LIVE.
I have an idea what your climate and outdoor recreation preferences are, but am wondering about culture and cost of living. In northern California, it can be a long way between ballet companies, so to speak. If you would be happy in a small town, then there are more opportunities. But for the dog, I would recommend the Bay Area. I suppose Fido complicates the NZ possibility as well, though I would look into it. That's would be my top lead, were I in your shoes. Good luck, and as we like to say here in Oregon, "may the forest be with you".

Old 11-12-2006, 12:53 PM

Thanks Steve for your response. While I don't want the culture extremities of many smaller towns I'm not yet driven to those areas that have more than enough affluent culture wealth in its faces and places.

<sigh> Cost of living is a huge issue for me, as Uncle Sam doesn't like to keep its service members fat and independent. Currently my comfort zone is 1k for a 1 bedroom place. Too little I suspect for such a rich state.

Husband just gave the word this weekend and wants to separate, so COL is even more crucial. I'll have to return to school and find my place in this world - somewhere.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:59 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,827 times
Default Did you say

Your husband wanted to separate? Separate from the service, or from you? It strikes me as extremely odd that a man heading into harms way would want to separate from those who love him.

So,, If that is what you meant.. I do suggest SLO. At some point you will want another relationship. Even the road workers in SLO have degrees... It is an area of smart men and women who are usually successful in the material sense.

There is good culture, plenty of college professors,,, and cowboys and commerical fishermen... You will have a huge range of potential friends, interesting men and women.. Much more so than in perhaps more insular towns.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:45 PM
EAC

3 posts, read 20,524 times
I wish you the best of luck...If you look in the Boulder/Longmont area of Colorado, you will find reasonable housing, several colleges, clean air and beautiful views without all the congestion of Denver and Colorado Springs. The people are very friendly as well. Everyone seems to have a dog (or two!) with several dog parks to entertain and exercise the dog (and meet people). I have lived in several states and CO is one of my favorites. Good luck.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:18 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodanna View Post
While I don't want the culture extremities of many smaller towns I'm not yet driven to those areas that have more than enough affluent culture wealth in its faces and places.
...Husband just gave the word this weekend and wants to separate, so COL is even more crucial. I'll have to return to school and find my place in this world - somewhere.
COL is high in the best parts of CA, of course, but SLO county is a great choice, likewise Sonoma County in the north. My reason for saying this is that you'll get enough culture, lots of beauty, a mild climate, access to educational opportunities, and --- most important for your situation --- nurturing environments with lots of friendly people who can help you feel at home.

If you look beyond CA, there are so many options that it's hard to recommend any specifics. But I'll try anyway. The following are place with higher education, small but growing cultural/arts scenes, and plenty of access to natural beauty, while not being too expensive:
Silver City, NM
Grand Junction, CO
Cedar City, UT
Eugene, OR
Ellensburg, WA
Flagstaff, AZ
Prescott, AZ
Boise, ID (seriously consider this one!!!)

Not knowing all your preferences, I mixed in quite a variety of places in the West. If you're willing to go east of the Rockies, then there are many more options to add to the list.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:03 PM

GreatBas: Yes he wants to part the marriage; 20 plus years. When he arrived back from Iraq not too long ago he was a changed man. Now that he's returning for another year, he tells me that he doesn't want the burdens of married life and wants to be free. That's it in a shell, less the nut.

I'll certainly check some of the suggestions posted here and appreciate the forum hospitality.

Last edited by jodanna; 11-13-2006 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 11-13-2006, 07:07 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,827 times
I am so sorry,, I hate to see marriages end, being an old romantic. But, you have no kids,,, that is good... SLO town,,, and Sonoma as someone else mentioned would be good. The advantage to SLO is Avila beach.. a nice place to hang out.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:32 PM

318 posts, read 1,317,122 times
We are native CA residents, Bay Area, Central CA. But we are seriously considering Boise, ID. The cost of living is a lot lower than CA. Of course...the wages are most likely lower too. Never been there, but you might want to visit the Idaho part of this site. There are some real nice folks there.

Izzy

Old 11-14-2006, 11:44 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
We just left Paradise, California after camping there for 15 years. It is a very affordable, smaller mountain community. It is within a very short drive to Chico State. The hospital is fantastic. You can very well rent something there for the amount you mentioned. It does get snow, but it usually goes away in a few days. All the shopping you need and if you need a mall or big box stores, then just drive down the hill to Chico. Chico has a great performing arts center along with tons of artist. You might find yourself very happy there. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California