Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 7,740 times

Advertisements

So, I'm southern, originally from North Carolina and I have just graduated from college in Ohio. I am moving to Gilroy in August and I wanted to know more about the city from someone who lives there, or around there. My fiance will be teaching at a local high school and I am opera singer, what can we expect? We can't seem to get a constant answer from any relocation agency and I don't want to be too surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 12:50 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,288,527 times
Gilroy is in transition from hick town to suburb. It's in a nice region, though, so scenery is plentiful.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:55 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,498,023 times
Garlic capital of the world. You can smell the garlic as you drive thru town. I would not have thought it big enough to have a high school.

I would take a flight or train out and check it out before moving. It is a great part of the state but it may not be large enough for some people.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:52 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,420,301 times
Gilroy is in a nice part of the state. It DOES have a highschool. Although it is far enough from SF and San Jose to not be as expensive as those 2 cities, I think you, being from NC will go into sticker shock!

Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,048,141 times
I used to spend a lot of time there because I lived in Morgan Hill. The main shopping center, with a Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Lowe's, and Costco (yes, all in the same place!!) is at the junction of 101 and 152 coming from Fresno and Los Banos, so it's incredibly popular and almost intolerable during the holidays. Very hot during the summer, heavy Mexican flavor.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:23 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Very hot during the summer
Yeah, that's what I remember from my trip to the garlic festival a couple years ago. It was so hot, people were crowded under any bit of shade they could find (tents, shadows from semi trailers, etc) like animals in African under the lone shade tree on the savanna.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:21 PM

463 posts, read 642,933 times
Gilroy has a lot going for it i think. Outlett mall has some cool stores. Eagle ridge is a wonderful neighborhood with a top rated golf course. Gilroy is more of a commuter suburb/exurb. A farm town sort of tansitioning into a suburb. Most consider it the outskirts of the south bay. The end of the line before you get into the hinterlands. Affordable housing for middle class people, access to san jose and san fransisco via Caltrain, have attracted many people to the city. A couple kids who i knew in college who grew up there said it was boring. I could immagine this. One of the things that has helped gilroy as opposed to other inland towns like tracy, antioch, and fairfield did not do is they controlled their growth. They knew when and where to develop, like brentwood and didnt glut the whole area with massive tract developments. Im pretty sure the population of gilroy is around 40,000 so it gets pretty sleepy sometimes, which is nice because it keeps it safe. Outside of a few "barrio's" as locals call it, there usually isnt too much crime. Demographics of the city pretty much is whites are a majority but hispanics are only a few percentils behind. This is the case with most inland california towns, and gilroy is no exception...very rich in hispanic culture and history. Over all the city gave off a sleepy commuter town middle class vibe.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,013 times
We are thinking of moving to Gilroy soon. We know it is a quiet town, what is it like currently? What it the medical system/hospital like? I'm really concerning about emergency medical services, for example, ambulance, Emergency Room, Emergency Care (heart attack, stroke, trauma).

thanks!

Old 11-13-2015, 11:21 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,005,852 times
"We are thinking of moving to Gilroy soon. We know it is a quiet town, what is it like currently? What it the medical system/hospital like? I'm really concerning about emergency medical services, for example, ambulance, Emergency Room, Emergency Care (heart attack, stroke, trauma)."

This thread is almost 8 years old. You should probably start your own in the San Jose forum for more responses. I'm not sure why this was ever started in the general CA forum in the first place, since it's part of the San Jose metro area.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,274,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
"We are thinking of moving to Gilroy soon. We know it is a quiet town, what is it like currently? What it the medical system/hospital like? I'm really concerning about emergency medical services, for example, ambulance, Emergency Room, Emergency Care (heart attack, stroke, trauma)."

This thread is almost 8 years old. You should probably start your own in the San Jose forum for more responses. I'm not sure why this was ever started in the general CA forum in the first place, since it's part of the San Jose metro area.
And if CD ever does the right thing and merges the SF and SJ forums (which as individual forums are pretty dead ...) Gilroy will be part of the Greater Bay Area Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California