Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 10:46 PM

525 posts, read 815,281 times

Advertisements

I started searching for room rented out on Craigslist and so far results have been disappointing. I find either prices out of my range (above $1000) or strict rules (FEMALE only, light cooking to no cooking, must spend majority time in room, other bs etc). I have been looking for quite few weeks and while I have nothing against them and would like to live with them 9 times out of 10 people renting out rooms on craiglist are Asian. As while male, I think their race preference kinda put me at disadvantage.

I met one guy in Fremont who listed on craiglist room for $650, but did not mention in post its for "bidding" until I met him for tour waisting my time. I did not participate in bidding because he was very secretive about it, did not see bidding process or people bidding so it could be possibly be a cover up lie in trying to get from me actually more than what he advertised otherwise I might have looked somewhere else.

When I send out emails to craiglist people. Only maybe 10% of people respond, even though in introduction letter I introduce myself, include many specifics they might wanna know such as what I do for job, work schedule, what do I do on weekends, etc.

Then I tried services suchs roomster, easyroomate.com, roomates.com but except of roomster, there are very few listings there and it is also hard to get response on all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 01:04 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Weird. I'd think it would be really easy to find a shared living situation in Berkeley/Oakland. So many students.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:00 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Craigslist is usually the way to go, but the problem is that you're on the "demand" side of the market - meaning, those who are RENTING a room have the upper-hand, as supply is less plentiful than demand. I learned this during my years in San Francisco, where I had NO trouble finding roommates once I had a place; but if I'd tried to find a room for rent, it would have been much more difficult. Is there any way you can afford to move into a (2+ bedroom) place first, then find the roommate before the first month is up? I know that's hard because you need the deposit etc, but you can always get half of that back once you've found a roomie.

Also, consider being flexible on things like location, race/gender/orientation/etc of your potential housemate, and other specific criteria... the ones where most people would think twice (like a shady part of town) are easiest to get, as I learned when I was renting out a room in the Bayview district of SF. It was actually a nice little "enclave" of the neighborhood, not even technically Bayview/HP, but responses were much thinner than when I was renting a room in the Sunset. Again, it's all about supply and demand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California