Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:08 PM

107 posts, read 342,502 times

Advertisements

im in love with northern california! i lived in san diego for a couple of years and since moved back to NY where i grew up. my wife and i are looking to relocate to northern california. our last trip there took us from crescent city to san fran to yosemite to tahoe to sacramento! WOW! im looking for a nice little area (more rural than city) where we can go for a long weekend and stay at a B&B and just do some driving around. with this extremely vague question i'd like to hear from you all where we should go! thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 04:22 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,537,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubstyle247 View Post
... my wife and i are looking to relocate to northern california. ....

im looking for a nice little area (more rural than city) where we can go for a long weekend .....
Are you asking about a vacation or relocating?

Old 12-27-2007, 04:32 PM

im looking for a vacation that will allow me to do "research" regarding relocating. that makes sense right?
seriously its such a vast area and we loved so much of it.... i figured i'd ask here and get some input to try and narrow my search. for example, i've heard nice things about calaveras county.... we love the mountains and outdoor lifestyle but dont want to be covered in snow half the year.... but we wanna be near the snow. coastal isn't really that important.
thanks

Old 12-27-2007, 04:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,251,408 times
www.gocalaveras.com

I'm happy to tell you more about Calaveras if you want to give me a PM. I have to get my moneys worth as a member of the Chamber of Commerce

Old 12-27-2007, 05:11 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,537,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubstyle247 View Post
im looking for a vacation that will allow me to do "research" regarding relocating. that makes sense right?
seriously its such a vast area and we loved so much of it.... i figured i'd ask here and get some input to try and narrow my search. for example, i've heard nice things about calaveras county.... we love the mountains and outdoor lifestyle but dont want to be covered in snow half the year.... but we wanna be near the snow. coastal isn't really that important.
thanks
What line of work are you in?
Where do you expect to work?
What would your housing price range or rental budget be?

Old 12-27-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What line of work are you in?
Where do you expect to work?
What would your housing price range or rental budget be?
i currently own a landscaping business - long island, ny.
when we relocate i will have a few bucks in my pocket to back me and would honestly like to start up a small lawn cutting/landscaping/snow removal business. pretty much like what i do here but just on a smaller more laid back level. as far as housing goes......
i would imagine $400K plus being a comfortable number.

to give you all a little better idea...... my wife and i have always dreamed of opening our own bed and breakfast in a big old country house.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:41 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,462,669 times
Look into the Humoldt bay region. The towns are Eureka, Arcata, McKinleyville, Fortuna and Ferndale being the major cities. Eureka is the county seat at 28,000, Arcata and Mck are in the 17,000 and Ferndale and Fortuna are smaller. There are a lot of small towns in the 1000 and under range. The whole county is around 130,000 strong. Humboldt bay sits between the ocean and the mountains, some up to 5000 and 6000 feet locally and even higher inland. I myself am a gardener in McKinleyville. I maintain about 7 yards in the winter and up to 14 in the summer during the longer growing season. I was a gardener in Berkeley and Oakland till I lost 9 yards in the Oakland hills fire of 91. I restarted my gardening business in 2000 here in McK and have never been without enough work.

Martin

Old 12-29-2007, 11:08 AM

thanks. any good websites about the humboldt bay region?

Old 12-29-2007, 12:43 PM

433 posts, read 2,351,811 times
So hard to give advice because northern California is extremely diverse. Totally different climates and features with each area.

If you want the Midwest feel, pick the Central Valley with orchards and crops. If you want the lush green/cloudy Pacific Northwest feel, pick the North Coast. If you want Italy or France, pick the valleys by Napa and Calistoga. If you want a rural, quiet and mysterious feel, pick the Coastal Range mountains/hills near Middletown/Cobb/Wilbur Springs/Clear Lake and Lake Berryessa. The Mother Lode foothills give you the the old 1850's Gold Rush feel. Close to the higher/wild areas of the Sierra Nevada/Tahoe too. Areas east of Redding and Chico give you a wild/volcanic look with woods and lava deposits and mountain streams and rivers. It's all different.

I myself, am captivated by little Downieville. You can do a search for Downieville California and find bed and breakfast arrangements there. Do a search for Wilbur Hot Springs for a unique bed and breakfast arrangement there as well.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:49 AM

32 posts, read 145,514 times
Sonoma County is on the coast and known for its rural atmosphere and wine. My favorite bed and breakfast is in the town of Healdsburg. It's called Honor Mansion. (For info on this b & b visit Enjoy a Romantic Getaway at Honor Mansion). The area is beautiful. There are lots of bed and breakfasts in Sonoma County and being in the wine country is a big draw.

The Sierra Foothills is another region that you might consider. Calaveras, Amador, El Dorado, Tuolumne, and Nevada Counties. These are rural areas that are uncrowded and historic...google Gold Rush Country, Mother Lode as well as specific cities such as Jackson, Angels Camp, Murphys, Sutter Creek, Sonora, Arnold, Ione. My favorite bed and breakfasts in this area are Foxes Inn (Sutter Creek) and Dunbar House (Murphys). For information on the Sierra Foothill wineries visit The Sierra Foothills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California