Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 01:32 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Possibly. That's whe we say/write "SF Bay Area" unless we're actually IN that area where there is no other large Bay around to confuse it with. (Monterey people may understandably feel differently though) Certainly if I'm in Tampa, FA I don't say, 'back in the Bay Area!' all CA/USA loudly.

You can get irked and argue or you can just agree to disagree and still appreciate the slight broadening of perspective. Up to you.

I'm not personally offended by the term after having lived there for years and learning to just not hear it anymore (kind of like 'Cali'). But I admit that I still occasionally feel mildly annoyed by the complete ignorance of why it could be irritating to some… For the same reason the rest of the Northern and Southern Americas sometimes chafe when we, from the USA, refer to ourselves as "America the Great" or whatever…
Well then I guess you're just sensitive about something that doesn't seem to matter or bother anyone else. I can see how it could offend someone but just have never once heard anyone until now actually offended by it.
Quote:
When was the last time you actually spoke to someone in any of those places about it? (or anything else?)
Well I lived in San Diego for 9 years and was there last weekend. Have you ever even heard anyone besides yourself be bothered by it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 02:00 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,349,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Have you ever even heard anyone besides yourself be bothered by it?
Yes. But it's not something we carry on about all the time because it's not a huge deal… more like something we'd occasionally mutter amongst ourselves when LA/OC people are out of earshot… which is maybe why you haven't heard it.

I'm not asking you to agree, and I actually agree that it may seem somewhat petty in the big picture. But I'm not sure why people can't just say something like, "hmmm, I never thought of that, but I can see why that might annoy. Of course, I'm not going to change because it's been my lifelong habit and I don't actually mean anything by it, but it's good to know, especially if I find myself directly south of "the southland" any time soon…"

… Rather, it's just met with the same sort of 'southland' obtusity which makes the term a little grating in the first place…

Old 09-26-2014, 03:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,764,910 times
Quote:
Few of your fellow LA/OC-ites will even notice, much less call it out, but 'southland' is one of the most arrogantly annoying regional terms currently in use in the US. Mainly because it implies total indifference (or perhaps ignorance) toward the 3+ million people to your immediate south and another… what… half a billion? directly south of that.

It's like a comedian once said, "Everyone outside of LA hates LA. But people in LA don't hate their outside neighbors because they actually have no idea they even exist."
Except: The evening news down there does, in fact, call it the Southland regularly, as they have done since I was a wee lad growing up there as far back as the 70's.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Except: The evening news down there does, in fact, call it the Southland regularly, as they have done since I was a wee lad growing up there as far back as the 70's.
Nothing untrue about that. That's where I heard it 90% of the time… from the same newscasters that often referred to hot/dry weather and ridiculously inflating home prices as 'good news'… I don't get the point. I never said anything about the source of the term or the reasoning behind it.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:01 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,455,451 times
Quote:
Few of your fellow LA/OC-ites will even notice, much less call it out, but 'southland' is one of the most arrogantly annoying regional terms currently in use in the US. Mainly because it implies total indifference (or perhaps ignorance) toward the 3+ million people to your immediate south and another… what… half a billion? directly south of that.

It's like a comedian once said, "Everyone outside of LA hates LA. But people in LA don't hate their outside neighbors because they actually have no idea they even exist."
Not trying to be annoying; just following the leads of the news folks, I guess.

Besides, I include San Diego and Imperial Counties in this, so.........probably should ask first before jumping to conclusions.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:02 PM

Ohhhh, all right, now I see why you reacted......

Old 09-26-2014, 04:14 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Southland (TV Series 2009

Notice how the "la" is accentuated in the graphic lol.

Now that I think about it, I'm not surprised it would bother some people in San Diego, many kind of dislike LA. Some people use the term "Northern CA" to just refer to the Bay Area and Sacramento sometimes and not really the real Northern CA where barely anyone lives.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Southland (TV Series 2009

Notice how the "la" is accentuated in the graphic lol.

Now that I think about it, I'm not surprised it would bother some people in San Diego, many kind of dislike LA. Some people use the term "Northern CA" to just refer to the Bay Area and Sacramento sometimes and not really the real Northern CA where barely anyone lives.
...and it is true that San Diegans often refer to anything north of San Onofre as "LA".

Old 09-26-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
LOL ~ I know it's just a silly TV drama, but that actually IS how I remember the "SouthLAnd" … lots of style-less buildings and concrete alleys with almost no landscaping and plenty'o'thugs on the run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
...and it is true that San Diegans often refer to anything north of San Onofre as "LA".
Also true!

Old 09-26-2014, 06:39 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,458,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
well Southland is a name given to Metropolitan Los Angeles (LA/OC/IE/VN)

everything North of San Onofre (up to santa clarita) is LA Metro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California