Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:16 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times

Advertisements

Well, I would ride it if we get it. As for everyone wanting desalination plants instead, I'd recommend you read all the posts from people who wanted high-speed rail at first too but have now changed their minds. Seems the only thing California can do is want things. The minute we get it and start talking specifics, the whining begins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 07:56 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
It was no joke, remember my words. I am happy with my career in transportation and urban planning.
So, Resident Expert, can you tell us--with all the extra stops, will it still be close to 2 hours from LA to SF? That would be amazing! Probably pretty pricey, though.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
It was no joke, remember my words. I am happy with my career in transportation and urban planning.
And your happiness has what to do with the viability of this $multi-billion mess that is going to result in huge cost overruns and lesser performance and convenience than the people voted for, or thought they did?

But I guess you stand to make money on it. Happy, happy indeed!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:37 PM

555 posts, read 714,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And your happiness has what to do with the viability of this $multi-billion mess that is going to result in huge cost overruns and lesser performance and convenience than the people voted for, or thought they did?

But I guess you stand to make money on it. Happy, happy indeed!
Don't worry, I have no financial interest in the project. I wish I had money to invest in land around the station locations though, jealous of any who do for sure!

My happiness will be seeing California have healthy cities with transit oriented development and being able to lessen sprawl all while improving the environment and the economy. Seeing California lead America makes me happy. I'd rather see my tax dollars poured into rail than more suburban freeways and airports. Sprawl costs the taxpayers a lot too mind you, it just isn't immediately obvious.

Last edited by Folks3000; 10-18-2014 at 09:46 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
So, Resident Expert, can you tell us--with all the extra stops, will it still be close to 2 hours from LA to SF? That would be amazing! Probably pretty pricey, though.
I am not sure which extra stops you are referring to, there were always stops planned along the right of way between SF and LA. I am actually not aware of any last minute additions, more like refining what cities actually get stops for the moment. The travel time is close to about 2 hours and 40 minutes (sorry, it was never projected to be 2 hours). We are a bit worried about capacity issues (not necessarily speed issues) in the Caltrain corridor. Passing tracks there are politically challenging, but once the Central Valley to LA portion is up and running, there will be a lot more leverage around SF to get the system right. That is one of the reasons the focus is on the SoCal part of the route right now, plus there is a bigger travel market there for starting revenues (the system is required to cover its operating costs). There may be trains that make all stops that take longer than 2 hours and 40 minutes, but the goal is to have trains running that can do SF to LA (with some stops along the way) in that time period. If there are constraints at first in the Caltrain corridor, they can be ironed out over time at that point too. There is some optimism that after the surge in ridership on the Caltrain corridor after the electrification and downtown extension takes place, they may (have to) do some of the work on passing tracks and capacity improvements before high speed rail even gets there.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:01 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
Quote:
Having stops in the Central Valley does not mean every train must stop at every stop. Buses will forever get stuck in traffic congestion, they will never be the same as rail. A system can both serve SF to LA express trains and Central Valley local trains at the same time.
But why should there be ANY stops in the Valley? It's not like THOSE people deserve it. They have been trying to fight and stop, and yes...derail this project. So why should they get to reap any of the rewards? They should be humbly grateful that we are stealing...I mean...using their region to lay the tracks in so that they can say their little fiefdom is a part of such a wonderful system. They are still free to look at the trains as they whiz by, you know.

Everyone knows that the Valley from Stockton all the way down to Bakersfield is a wasteland region that's a stain, an abscess, and an embarrassment to the REAL people of California. And by real, I mean San Jose, San Francisco, Los Angeles, maybe Orange County, and San Diego.

As for the buses being stuck in congestion, well that's a small price for them to pay for the privilege of being able to visit REAL California.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:47 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post

Everyone knows that the Valley from Stockton all the way down to Bakersfield is a wasteland region that's a stain, an abscess, and an embarrassment to the REAL people of California. :
That wasteland that you speak of is where most of the food eaten daily by Californians(real or otherwise)is grown!

Old 10-18-2014, 11:57 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Well, I would ride it if we get it. As for everyone wanting desalination plants instead, I'd recommend you read all the posts from people who wanted high-speed rail at first too but have now changed their minds. Seems the only thing California can do is want things. The minute we get it and start talking specifics, the whining begins.
Right now the state is in a horrendous drought. Its all about priorities.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
But why should there be ANY stops in the Valley? It's not like THOSE people deserve it. They have been trying to fight and stop, and yes...derail this project. So why should they get to reap any of the rewards? They should be humbly grateful that we are stealing...I mean...using their region to lay the tracks in so that they can say their little fiefdom is a part of such a wonderful system. They are still free to look at the trains as they whiz by, you know.

Everyone knows that the Valley from Stockton all the way down to Bakersfield is a wasteland region that's a stain, an abscess, and an embarrassment to the REAL people of California. And by real, I mean San Jose, San Francisco, Los Angeles, maybe Orange County, and San Diego.

As for the buses being stuck in congestion, well that's a small price for them to pay for the privilege of being able to visit REAL California.

There is a lot of pushback in the Central Valley that is true, but there are still a lot of silent supporters as well. It is hard to put blame on farmers angry of loosing land to the tracks (sure, more farmland would be lost to freeways and sprawl without high speed rail, but that isn't the way they are going to think about it). It is hard to blame small towns that are angry about the construction but aren't even getting a station. You have to keep in mind there are many in the valley who do support the system, and hope that improving access to coastal California will help to lessen the economic divide between the coast and valley. Just because they may not see the benefits right away doesn't mean helping them is wrong. The region is home to nearly 4 million people and is growing very quickly. If any cities need help with their land use policies it is the Central Valley cities over the next 20 years. I know the Central Valley is kind of a joke to people on the coasts, but they too have transportation problems and land use issues that can be aided by an improved rail system. Yes many of them may be stuck in the past, many may be conservative and not want the government spending money on any infrastructure in general, but many of them do want to improve the lives of people in the Valley, help the environment, and bring economic development to an impoverished region. I think the region deserves a chance just as much as the rest of the state.

Remember there are also wealthy suburbs on the Peninsula also trying to derail and stop the project, that doesn't mean SF shouldn't have high speed rail. There will always be opponents to something this big and transformational.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:58 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times
Quote:

You should have used a sarc tag Dez. I think your post went by everybody. I, being from Tulare County
get it........and thanks for posting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California