Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your opinion : )
Yes ! of course! I love it 17 53.13%
It's OK dude, just like any other place. 7 21.88%
Nope, it's not like before, I'm moving out probably. 6 18.75%
I never liked it here. 1 3.13%
The OP is a reptilian from Nibiru 7 21.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 07:00 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The techies are increasingly getting too caught up in keeping up with the Joneses, so are all too often becoming fixated on a bigger house, better car, lots of stuff, etc. Sounds uncomfortably a bit too much like OC, no?

Those of us on the lower end get by just fine. Really not losing sleep over not being able to afford Saratoga. Get that kind of monkey off the back, and one can feel free to enjoy all that the Bay Area affords, especially those enjoyments that cost little or nothing.
I agree 100%. I don't make that much money, but I enjoy San Diego, California and even Baja California to the fullest- I go to the parks, beach, camping and hiking often. Those are all free. There are always free music, art and cultural festivals to take advantage of everywhere.

I am frugal where I need to be and do not suffer at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 08:01 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I agree 100%. I don't make that much money, but I enjoy San Diego, California and even Baja California to the fullest- I go to the parks, beach, camping and hiking often. Those are all free. There are always free music, art and cultural festivals to take advantage of everywhere.

I am frugal where I need to be and do not suffer at all
Enjoy the Not Suffering lifestyle! The people I know throughout the state that are having the best time are invariably those who generally avoid the rat race and trying to beat the neighbor, and otherwise value simpler, more meaningful enjoyments, of which this state presents a plethora like none other.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 8,699 times
We will move back as soon as possible. It is amazing the crazy things that people assume about California and it's people ( when they have not lived or been in the state)

Just check the city data stats on crime that will end the debates on who has worse.

I lived many places give me CA. with the every 20 yr or so earthquake vs seasonal tornados and hurricanes. I will take my chances with fires and drought vs flash flooding or blizzards.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:45 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
California is very livable in the vast areas where it is impossible to earn a living....for those not burdened with that need.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
California is very livable in the vast areas where it is impossible to earn a living....for those not burdened with that need.
38 million are here today...and more will be here tomorrow.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:12 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
38 million are here today...and more will be here tomorrow.
So you're defining livable as any place where large numbers of people can be found alive?

Literal, but not particularly useful or meaningful.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:28 AM

245 posts, read 304,480 times
CA's fine, as long as you're prepared to live in a van. Otherwise, the cost of utilities and housing is going to take at least half of your take home check, and probably all of it will be gone by the time you pay for commuting and feeding yourself. If you stay near work, in a van, however, and cook on your propane stove and using the microwave at your local convenience store, you can bank the 10-20k per year that you'd otherwise be just wasting.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:15 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDominican92 View Post
Considering the earthquakes, severe droughts, severe fires, declining economy, pollution, high crime in big cities, gangs and over population, is your state livable anymore?

Will California go broke and people flee in a near future?

California is livable enough to still offer a much greater appeal to me, even with all the before mentioned crap, to plan to relocate there soon. Every state has its issues, and CA is no different. It's what you make of it and your survivor skills and abilities.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:27 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
What I still don't get is why so many people who don't even live in California, and don't plan to ever, are so obsessed with the state.

I'm not crazy about Texas. Going over to the Texas forum so I can tell them how crappy I think their weather is would never, ever, cross my mind. It's pointless. Their state is none of my business, and if people like living there there, what would I be trying to prove by telling them they suck because they like it?

Honestly, there are some people on this forum who have serious issues IMO.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:31 AM

106 posts, read 174,235 times
POLL has been opened : D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California