Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 11:24 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times

Advertisements

Danielj72, you're right as it seems that almost everywhere west of the Continental Divide is going dry. East of it is the humidity I'm not in favor of, but yes, having water available is much more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 12:58 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Danielj72, you're right as it seems that almost everywhere west of the Continental Divide is going dry. East of it is the humidity I'm not in favor of, but yes, having water available is much more important.
Unless there are major desalination plants built I suspect that a water crises will be the future of some areas out west. California has more options than does the true desert states of Arizona and New Mexico. There are so many people in those states nowadays, and no where near enough water. The eastern states always had more capacity to carry large populations. Some very unpopular states have the most water of all. Michigan,Wisconsin, Ohio, and Indiana all sit at the foot of inland seas of freshwater, but they are losing more people than any states in the country. Cold weather, flat land and economic troubles have driven hundreds of thousands out of these Midwest states in recent years. Many leaving these water rich places are actually the same folks moving to Arizona, bringing a water crises even closer.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:57 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,985 times
Don't move. The only place in the US that is better than SoCal is probably NY-Philly area, but for some people it's too crowded. Washington is a good state, but Seattle gets empty after 9 pm, that can look weird for those who is used to SF lifestyle. The scenery in SoCal is beautiful, the climate mild and stable, and after California many states will look boring, poor and lifeless. Just an opinion, so other state residents, please don't get mad on me!
NC is culturally quite different from CA, this is the South.
I have a tenant from CA, and it's snowing outside. He looks so miserable that I probably would not punish him if he breaks his lease and goes back to CA.

Last edited by BusyMeAK; 10-06-2014 at 03:09 AM..

Old 10-06-2014, 06:50 AM

Danielj72, my biggest gripe is with California's "leaders" whose entire plan seems to be, "Let's hope it rains." Even if the desalinization plants could get past the environmentalists, good luck getting them built in time to be of real assistance. There seems to be this willful denial in place by most of California's 38 million residents, as if no one wants to see the elephant in the living room. Even if we get a deluge of rain and snow this winter, it's not going to magically cure the drought. We really need two or three very wet years in a row, which is rare.

I'd certainly prefer not to move; this is my home. However, I'm also a realist. I told a friend of mine about my plans to move away next year if we don't get any rain, and she laughed, not taking me at all seriously. I hope her laughter is justified - but what if it isn't?

Old 10-06-2014, 06:53 AM

BusyMeAK, I'd prefer not to move, but I have to be realistic about the water possibly drying up here. I'd miss the natural wonders that California provides, of course, but that's how it goes.

I wouldn't like snow in October, either, although I'm sure it's beautiful!

Old 10-06-2014, 07:49 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
What.... you want to leave California and you don't want to move to Austin like everyone else? Just kidding

Old 10-06-2014, 11:22 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
I don't think I'd just consider leaving CA just because of water. With the CA coast and desalinization potential if CA wakes up to reality, recycling water like OC is(was?) doing etc. are solutions. I think leaving because of the crowds/traffic, expense, and those of us that feel CA is being "managed" into the ground would be better reasons than water alone. And if there's concern about water, I assume another concern one might have/that I wouldn't discount is a major earthquake that's long overdue in the historical trend of quakes in your area. Roll the dice!

As for moving to another weather climate, I'd suggest living in an area for a while if you could(rent) to see if you could really live in a different climate. I couldn't live outside the dry desert as any kind of humidity is unpleasant to me/the air feels heavy. Even much of CA, including southern, feels humid to me compared to the desert....hehehe. It's all relative I suppose. And anything under 60 degrees in the day is freezing to me and you might feel the same way after living in So Cal so long.

Good luck on your search!

Last edited by stevek64; 10-06-2014 at 11:49 AM..

Old 10-06-2014, 11:38 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
California has more options than does the true desert states of Arizona and New Mexico.
Not sure about NM, but not true for AZ.

I can speak for the Phoenix metro and water is extremely well managed here. We also have many more water sources than CA in greater quantity(CO river, Salt River, vast underground supplies, large use of reclaimed water on golf courses, community common areas, etc). The Phoenix metro was a shallow sea once eons ago so I guess that's why we have so much ground water supply. Before a new subdivision is built, a 100 year water supply has to be ensured. We also have huge amounts of ground water in many parts of the state including in the Phoenix metro. What will happen is the easy, ie cheap, surface water(CO river) will be exhausted at some point and we will have to tap more expensive ground water more sometime in the future. We also have the option of tapping water from the Gulf of California which is only about 200 miles from Phoenix but I'm guessing That won't be required for a long, long time.

Last edited by stevek64; 10-06-2014 at 11:51 AM..

Old 10-06-2014, 12:34 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Personally I would not leave SoCal due to the water issues, unless you live in a farming area that is really being devastated by the drought. Ag is feeling the effects of drought much worse than other residents.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:28 PM

218 posts, read 337,114 times
Charlotte is wonderful place - close to mountains, good jobs , affordable.
Why not move there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California