Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:09 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Crude-by-Rail From Bakken Shale Is Poised to Reverse State Refiners’ Rising Imports
For the past decade, the U.S. shale boom has mostly passed by California, forcing oil refiners in the state to import expensive crude.

Now that’s changing as energy companies overcome opposition to forge ahead with rail depots that will get oil from North Dakota’s Bakken Shale.

[MOD CUT/copyright violation]
California Finally to Reap Fracking

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-10-2014 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 06:18 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Wait ... was that a pig I just saw flying by my window?

The moronic liberals liberals who control this state will NEVER allow fracking here. If you believe they will, I can give you a special deal on that earthquake proof Bay Bridge they just built.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:28 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,725 times
Default time will tell

rhetorical question, is fracking the last ditch effort by greedy oil companies for more profit. And once they suck out the last bits of profit. Will they cockroach off and leave the U.S. with who knows what kind of pollution in the ground.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:55 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

The moronic liberals liberals who control this state will NEVER allow fracking here. If you believe they will, I can give you a special deal on that earthquake proof Bay Bridge they just built.
"Oink". Yes, I believe it may have been. But it weren't no "moronic liberal" pig.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:38 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
rhetorical question, is fracking the last ditch effort by greedy oil companies for more profit. And once they suck out the last bits of profit. Will they cockroach off and leave the U.S. with who knows what kind of pollution in the ground.
I don't think you realize that oil companies profits are actually very low, usually around 5-6% of total revenue. Unlike a company like apple, with profits around 25-30% of revenue.

Collecting oil near the refineries actually reduces the chances of environmental impact since transportation (the process most likely to cause pollution/contamination) is reduced significantly.

Not to mention that oil companies employee hundreds of thousands of American workers and pay them living wages, which cannot be said for companies like apple that outsource production of many products to countries that use child labor to build the products. But it is the oil companies that are evil.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-08-2014 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Removed final rude comment. Alternative? Delete post and issue infraction.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:45 AM

807 posts, read 898,080 times
Just in case: This article does not refer to California changing its fracking policies. California is simply investing in infrastructure to better accommodate importing oil from other states who do frack.

California would be wise to hold off on fracking until supplies around the world dwindle and oil prices increase significantly. It could then obtain a lot more value out of the fracked oil.

Last edited by DriveNotCommute; 10-08-2014 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: text spacing

Old 10-08-2014, 01:01 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I don't think you realize that oil companies profits are actually very low, usually around 5-6% of total revenue. Unlike a company like apple, with profits around 25-30% of revenue. .
This is what I've heard from oil company execs. It's hard to believe. But back when oil prices were lower, apparently there wasn't enough profit to be made to finance more expensive extraction methods, like fracking and extracting and refining lower-grade oil, the non-liquid kind that's more like tar.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:02 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

We shouldn't allow fracking in California...

Old 10-09-2014, 05:15 PM

545 posts, read 1,100,830 times
LOL just today California aquifers were contaminated with billions of gallons of fracking wastewater. http://rt.com/usa/194620-california-...contamination/

Old 10-09-2014, 05:26 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
"Oink". Yes, I believe it may have been. But it weren't no "moronic liberal" pig.
Well, to resort to the Constitution itself, Artilce 1, Section 10 states specifically that:

Section 10.
No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility.

No state shall, without the consent of the Congress, lay any imposts or duties on imports or exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection laws: and the net produce of all duties and imposts, laid by any state on imports or exports, shall be for the use of the treasury of the United States; and all such laws shall be subject to the revision and control of the Congress.

No state shall, without the consent of Congress, lay any duty of tonnage, keep troops, or ships of war in time of peace, enter into any agreement or compact with another state, or with a foreign power, or engage in war, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent danger as will not admit of delay.

California has no constitutional right to do a lot of things regarding interstate commerce, and this oil train thing is one of them.

Heaven forbid we should be subject to the constitution. After all, it is an inconvenient truth.

Looking forward to how this plays in the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California