Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:40 PM

388 posts, read 326,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yesterday in HB, $429K, 936 sqft ($458 per Sq Ft - INSANE!)
http://homepics.realtor.com/image10/http/socalmls/listings/large/070/v01/p604247.jpg (broken link)
Even though that house is in a very desirable location, it should be worth is 150,000 - MAX. Absolute insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 05:54 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,457,080 times
We moved to the Charlotte, NC area.

We have a 4,200 sq. ft. house on 2.5 acres of property.

I do miss LA, but I doubt we will ever move back to any place where we have to raise our 3 kids in a 1,000 sq. ft. house with no yard.

Charlotte isn't really my cup of tea, but my husband likes it. Our next move will be overseas for DH's job and then we will decide what to do.

I like all those pics of Colorado!

Dawn

Old 01-06-2008, 05:57 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,457,080 times
I like Asians. I really don't know what you mean by it was sad.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Like many other ex-Californians, I'm in Colorado. However, I did not leave CA because of the high cost of living, but I can understand why so many have fled to other states because of this.

Unfortunately, the area I grew up in is now about 80% Asian. As whites flocked to other places throughout the country, Asians from China, Korea & other countries almost took over entire neighborhoods overnight. It's very sad.

Would I move back to Southern California? Probably not. Real estate prices still need to drop another 40-50 percent. And if that happened, you'd still have many of the current problems such as traffic, overcrowding and earthquakes. I miss the excellent food, mild winters, ocean, Sierra Nevada's, PCH, etc. The scenery is beautiful throughout Central & Northern California and nicer than Colorado, but I'm not about to spend 2 million dollars just to live near it.

At heart, LA is my home and always will be. I love the interesting people in the gritty areas, and I feel most at home in places like Hollywood (off the boulevard) and Los Angeles.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 PM

116 posts, read 612,929 times
I moved with my wife and son (now 2) to Portland, OR. We've been here 1 1/2 years and are loving it. We didn't leave L.A. due to any negative feeelings, rather we were looking for a better place to raise kids. I do miss L.A., but we make it down every 3 or 4 months to visit family.

L.A. is a great place for singles, and couples w/out kids. We now love visiting L.A., going to Disneyland, hitting all of our favorite restaurants, staying with family in Pasadena and Dana Point, and then hopping on a plane coming home to Portland.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:52 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,283,461 times
Quote:
Exactly. One day it is 22F and snowing and a day or two later it is shorts and t-shirt weather (like yesterday). I still play basketball outside in shorts and t-shirts at lunchtime - in January. Cycling, Tennis, etc are all doable almost all year round.
Yeah ... I've seen and been through it all before. No matter how much the snow melts, it never melts fast enough for me. I just can't stand it. I dread the whole season, actually. Obviously it works for some people but ... I'm just not one of them.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:54 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,868,769 times
From San Diego to Philly. My hubby was unemployed for 6 months and we took the first opportunity. We want to get back to SD asap.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 AM

473 posts, read 2,748,276 times
i'm in newfield 5 miles outside of Ithaca, ny..and LOVING it, we will NEVER go back to CA. lower cost of living, surrounded by beautiful nature, and we've always loved cold. i rather have 6 months of winter than 300 days of 90-100 degrees.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Yesterday in HB, $429K, 936 sqft ($458 per Sq Ft - INSANE!)

Today in HB, $434K, 1100 sqft ($395 per Sq Ft)

Tomorrow in HB, $490K, 1246 sqft ($393 per Sq Ft)
Tomorrow? Have you checked the market lately?

Maybe that's what they're asking but, does anybody really believe those houses would actually move at those prices now?

Not to mention in a couple of years when those prices will be even lower. We'll probably know the real market price then.

I'm not saying HB is cheap but ... let's get real. I seriously doubt anybody's getting anything near $458 or, even $393 per square foot these days.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:53 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,537,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Tomorrow? Have you checked the market lately?

Maybe that's what they're asking but, does anybody really believe those houses would actually move at those prices now?

Not to mention in a couple of years when those prices will be even lower. We'll probably know the real market price then.

I'm not saying HB is cheap but ... let's get real. I seriously doubt anybody's getting anything near $458 or, even $393 per square foot these days.
I pulled those numbers about three weeks ago straight from Realtor.com. The data aren't that old.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I pulled those numbers about three weeks ago straight from Realtor.com. The data aren't that old.
Well ... that's not data. That's asking prices.

There's a great line in Gone with the Wind ...

"Askin' ain't gettin' ... "

OC prices are already down 8 percent from last year. And sales are down 50 percent from last year.

Good luck getting that much. Like I said, we'll know the real market prices in a couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California