Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:30 PM

57 posts, read 183,951 times

Advertisements

Born in Kellogg, Idaho. Moved to the S.F. Bay Area when I was 3. Left there for the far northern California mountains in 1975. Hope to never, ever return to any city with a population of more than 5,000 again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 04:00 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,264,763 times
Born in Shrewsbury
Moved to London at 18
Vallais Switzerland at 25
Back to London 30
Big Sur 49
Malibu 50
Where next ?? Wait to see what the property prices do in London then poss London for a while then Retirement in dear old Switzerland.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:14 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,781,387 times
Shallow Alto aka 'Palo Alto', born and raised.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:26 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,450,226 times
Born in Philly, Pa, Moved to Pittsburgh, Then the Jersey Shore, Then Ohio, Then Oklahoma, Then Kentucky, Back to Philly, Finally to Orange County 13 years ago.

I still feel like a stranger in a strange land, and I've been in CA longer then anywhere else in my life.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,228 times
Born in gejiu,Yunnan,China.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,593,756 times
Born in Key West, Florida, while my dad was in the army. Moved to Wilmington, California when I was two--my mom is a California native and my dad lived in Torrance almost all his life, so they just came home when Dad finished his service. My dad's parents moved to Torrance when Grandpa left the navy, and they still live in the same house they bought for $14,000. Mom and Dad met in high school.

My little sister was born at Little Company of Mary in Torrance, and we moved to Lake Forest shortly thereafter, when I was seven. Our house in Wilmington was tiny and the neighborhood was not very nice, but our house in Lake Forest was brand-new and the neighborhood was filled with children (mostly boys, though, so I got really good at football).

We moved to a larger house in Lake Forest when I was 14. I stayed at the same high school, where I met my husband. My parents still live in that house.

I went to Saddleback College and UCI. When I got married, we moved around a lot, following jobs and better apartments.

Northridge - one year (dirty and hot)
Newbury Park - one year (beautiful)
Orange - three years (not bad)
Costa Mesa - one year (not bad, but our apartment was tiny)

We then moved to Colorado for three years, believing we'd never be able to afford a real house. (Looking back, we probably could have bought then.) We didn't look into the job market well enough, though, and both of us had to settle for jobs that paid much less than we were worth, even by non-California standards.

We came back to visit family one Thanksgiving (both sets of parents and one sister each still live in Lake Forest) and decided to come back. Rented a house for three and a half years, but reasonable, affordable mortgages are just not in the picture there, not for a family of five. (Yeah, we had kids along the way, two of whom were born in California.) We don't want to live in the desert, so my husband accepted a promotion and transfer to Illinois. We bought our first house earlier this year.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 26,676 times
How funny, we moved out of Los Banos because of the ridiculous housing prices and the congestion. I was born there. So we decided to sell our house and move to Texas. It is going on three years and we plan on moving back to LB in the next few months. I hear its cleared up some. Texas has too many goofy laws and I am not one to deal well with stupidity.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,685,464 times
Born in Chicago
Moved to CA at age 13
Lived in Los Angeles and Ventura counties for 50 years
Bumped my head one day and moved to AZ
Can see things clearly now and am planning my return home to SoCal

Old 12-21-2008, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 7,132 times
I was born and raised in western Virginia, and lived there until 2006, when I moved to southern California (initially San Bernardino County; currently live in Riverside County).

Old 12-21-2008, 09:25 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,182,003 times
Born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska...now in OC going to college and trying to figure out where & what's next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California