U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-31-2007, 06:26 PM

62 posts, read 219,600 times

Advertisements

Hey ESCAPECALIFORNIA... I love following your threads... LOL I don't have to type anything... :-P I feel the same way you do about our lovely state..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 06:33 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,750,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcanaduh View Post
You're a great help and very knowledgeable, EC.

Do the valley's get heavy fog?

If so, how often?

Is the fog so thick you cannot see the road while driving?

How much does car insurance cost, roughly, for a 40ish male driver with collision coverage?

I was just reading up about landslides happening there as well.

More to worry about than just fires, quakes, crime and a high cost of living.

Seems the Golden State isn't really all that Golden anymore.

Except for the rich ... and illegals.

How can the Democrats think that "illegals" will vote for them?

They can't vote.
Not sure about fog. Its not foggy very often where I am in Orange County. The foggiest part of the state is in the central valley which contains Fresno and Bakersfield.

Insurance rates vary widely depends on what you drive and how. I think I was paying about $100/mo for a 2003 Acura CL (similar to a 2 door Accord) for full coverage with a clean record. My wife was paying about $75/mo for the same coverage on a 99 Honda Civic. Its all combined with the homeowners insurance now so I'm not sure of the breakdown.

Don't worry too much about landslides. Its pretty easy to figure out if a house might be subject to one and its mostly the very expensive properties. 99% of people don't have to worry about it. Same goes for wild fires. If you're close to undeveloped land, it's a problem. But otherwise, its not. The same areas tend to burn over and over so again its easy to investigate and see what areas are fire prone.

As to buying illegals' votes, they also trying to buy legal Mexcians' votes. They look at the demographics and see Hispanics population growing like crazy and don't want to anger a huge block of potential voters. So they think that if they support illegals, legal Mexicans will support them. Of course, they also work to get illegals amnesty so they can become citizens and vote soon. Then more illegals will flood across and the cycle will continue.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:26 PM

550 posts, read 840,801 times
I did Cali in the mid 90s. We went to SD / Tiajuna. Hundreds of Mexicans were sitting along a fence on the Mexican side. It looked like then were just waiting to make a move and rush over. We spent a few hours over in Tiajuna. When we came back they had made there move and were running down the highway on the US side. It was funny and weird all at the same time.

I realize they just want a better life, and don't blame them. I believe for the most part (but I could be wrong) that they contribute more then they take in America. I would think most of them are hard workers, it's the lazy ones who stay home in Mexico. I know a few Mexicans and they are super nice people.

I'm sure you followed the landslides of the past. Great site on it here.

http://anaheim-landslide.com/index.htm

http://anaheim-landslide.com/la_Conchita_landslide.htm

Did this happen during the middle of the night while people were sleeping?

http://anaheim-landslide.com/La_Conchita_Large_3.htm

Old 12-31-2007, 07:30 PM

To the right of our screen names it shows the join date, location, post count and read count.

What is the read count?

The amount of threads we have read, or the amount of threads we've posted in that other viewers have read?

Old 12-31-2007, 08:11 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,750,155 times
I think read count is the number of unique views of the page containing your posts.

The La Conchita landslide was the fault of the people living there. I've driven past that area many times and its just a small bit of flat land wedged in between the beach beloew and unstable hillside above. 100+ years ago when the rail road first put a line through there, they had constant problems with landslides covering their track. So they cut back the hill a little more and created a flat spot next to their tracks so that future landslides would land on the flat spot instead of their tracks. Eventually some geniuses got the brilliant idea that that would be a great place to build some houses. "Hey, why's this land so cheap? Who cares? Build a house on it!" Home owners couldn't get insurance (insurance companies aren't stupid) and for some reason the county lacked the legal right to evict the home owners from their dangerous location. Eventually, disaster strikes and people act surprised. One guy even had the balls to complain "Well where else can we afford such a wonderful ocean view in Souther California?"

Old 12-31-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Eventually some geniuses got the brilliant idea that that would be a great place to build some houses. "Hey, why's this land so cheap? Who cares? Build a house on it!"

One guy even had the balls to complain "Well where else can we afford such a wonderful ocean view in Souther California?"
Ha!

I'm surprised the city provided building permits. In other pictures on the link I posted you can see a little retaining wall below the mountain. I laughed when I saw it. A HUGE mountain, A little retaining wall. Something gotta give!

You can also see a huge horizontal slice mark in the middle of the mountain going to the right. Looks to me like another slide is only a matter of time.

From my research, to get hired on in a professional position with a city or private employer down there they typically request a BA or masters. Some jobs posting have be listed for months, and I assume the job is still available because they can't find the right person. Are they super strict on only hiring people with degrees, or do they consider people without a degree but simply can't get anyone to apply for the listed job?

You may not know the answer to this, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:39 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,528,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcanaduh View Post
Did this happen during the middle of the night while people were sleeping?
The 1-10-2005 slide happened at 12:30pm. The 3-4-1995 slide happened at 2:03pm. The 2005 slide was basically a continuation of the 1995 slide in that the southern portion of what slid in '95 was the part that slid in 2005.

As EscapeCalifornia pointed out it's been a known slide area since the 1800's. Even before the railroad showed up they had wagon trails completely covered by slides. After Southern Pacific came on the scene they not only had to dig out their track but on at least two occasions had to dig out trains. I believe it was the second time that prompted them to cut back the hill more.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:25 PM

Wow!

There is something with 3 minutes past the hour.

Oklahoma City bombing. 9:03 am

World Trade Centre tower two. 9:03 am

1995 hill slide 2:03 pm

The WTC and OKC events happening at exactly the same time is rather odd.

I suppose the slide happening during the day was a good thing, as people were at work / school. Had it happened in the middle of the night I'm guessing more people would've been killed.

Did anyone happen to catch the slide on video, like Mount St Helens?

Was it raining when it happened?

If not, was it raining in the days previous to the slide?

Was it accumulated water within the mountain that caused the slide to occur?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:29 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,898,486 times
canaduh-
Have you resolved the immigration issue yet? Or do you have American citizenship? I work for a company based in London,Ontario, and have spent too many days up there in the past 12 years. I don't blame you for wanting to bail out.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:05 AM

I just posted a lengthy reponse to your message and it didn't post because it said the server was busy. My message now disappeared and I have to rewrite it all. Later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California