Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 10:56 AM

108 posts, read 170,668 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am buying a car and registering it in Nebraska from where I am moving out in a matter of 2 weeks. Is it safe to just get the Nebraska plates and drive with them to another states where I am moving to for the whole next year until they expire?

Basically the registration will expire around July next year, which would pontentialy give me a lot of time to find housing a change plates later. I do not know if it is a better idea to drive on temporary tags, which are good only for a month or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 11:18 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,419,250 times
You need to check the rules in the state you're moving to, but I'm sure you won't be able to keep the Nebraska plates the whole year. The car needs to be registered in the state where you live, unless the title is in someone else's name.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:24 AM

108 posts, read 170,668 times
I am moving to California.

Nebraska doesn't have emissions and other things. My plates are going to be good until end of July. And I still don't know the place where I am going to live. I am pretty sure that California requires to re-register cars within 30 days.

But how enforced is that? I am just wanting to have some breathing room.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:47 AM

15,930 posts, read 20,899,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah7 View Post
I am moving to California.

Nebraska doesn't have emissions and other things. My plates are going to be good until end of July. And I still don't know the place where I am going to live. I am pretty sure that California requires to re-register cars within 30 days.

But how enforced is that? I am just wanting to have some breathing room.
I think it's going to depend a whole lot on where you wind up up. I don't remember where I was living at the time, but I once had a co-worker get summoned to court to show proof of residence because the cops routinely drove through area businesses looking for cars with out of state tags that were there day after day for long periods of time. She got caught with a local lease and out of state plates and license, and she kvetched about it forever, so I assume it was a costly and/or time consuming PITA to deal with.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:49 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,936,319 times
Unless you can prove that you are student, You will eventually get a ticket.

You can register the Car in CA, and use an out of state address - I used a Missouri address to keep my CA registration current - always kind of knew that I would eventually move back to CA

Old 10-17-2014, 12:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,946,733 times
In CA, the main form of ID is the CA Drivers License, so it should match the registration of the car. You will want one. Among other reasons, in an earthquake or wildfire, the police/fire departments will NOT let you return to your dwelling without this proof of residence address (they are keeping out looters or looky-loos).

Old 10-17-2014, 02:23 PM

6,893 posts, read 7,520,486 times
On the other hand, I had my TX plates in CA for nearly a year, and my CA plates in Utah for ditto. Unless you live or work in a place regularly checked by cops, how on earth could the casual cop know the actual when you moved to the state? Not that I necessarily recommend illegal behavior, but . . . it worked for me! Many years ago, though.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:33 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times
Since the OP is asking specifically about California, I'm moving this thread to the California forum.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-18-2014, 12:10 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,414,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah7 View Post
Hi,

I am buying a car and registering it in Nebraska from where I am moving out in a matter of 2 weeks. Is it safe to just get the Nebraska plates and drive with them to another states where I am moving to for the whole next year until they expire?

Basically the registration will expire around July next year, which would pontentialy give me a lot of time to find housing a change plates later. I do not know if it is a better idea to drive on temporary tags, which are good only for a month or so.
You'll need to register the car in California once you become a permanent resident.

Permanent resident means--you're renting an apartment, have a job, etc. If you're moving here and don't even know where you're going to live yet, don't worry about it. As long as the car has valid plates from somewhere, you have some leeway until you get settled.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:14 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,909,950 times
Here's the information from the California DMV website. I've copied some of the text here:

When Do I Have to Pay Fees to Register My Nonresident Vehicle?

Registration fees for your nonresident vehicle must be paid to DMV within 20 days of the date they become due. The date that registration fees become due varies. For date fees due, residency, and exemption information, see the How To: Determine Residency/When Are Fees Dueon an Out-of-State Vehicles (HTVR 33) brochure available at Brochures TOC /howto/htvr33.htm.

Note: To avoid penalties, submit your registration application and fees on time, even if you do not have all the requirements (title, smog, etc.) needed to register the vehicle in California.

Here's the link to the information on the website:

HTVR 33 How To Determine Residency/When Fees Are Due on Out-of-State Vehicles

Here's the link to the PDF version:

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr33.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: