Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 04:37 PM

43 posts, read 208,557 times

Advertisements

I'VE BEEN READING ABOUT AND TALKING TO FRIENDS FROM CA AND THE MOST COMMON ADVISE IS TO STAY AWAY FROM MODESTO!! NOW, I'M TOLD TURLOCK IS OK, PATTERSON TOO...LATHROP IS ACCEPTABLE...THAT THE CRIME IS HORRIBLE ALL OVER. MOSQUITOES ARE AWFUL..LET'S SEE..OH YES-THE FOG AND THE COMMUTE IS A KILLER....PEOPLE LIVING IN THESE AREAS..CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME POSITIVE INPUT---CAN THINGS BE THAT AWFUL IN THE CENTRAL VALLEY?? HELP!!! MY HUBBY LEAVES IN TWO WEEKS! PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME IF YOU CAN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 05:12 PM

433 posts, read 2,351,681 times
The major part of the problem is the real estate crash. It has destroyed thousands of people. They aren't going to be all positive and upbeat. You can't take that out of the equation when you hear about parts of the Central Valley or Modesto.

The crime may be up in those areas. People are hurting. Abandoned homes etc.

If I was moving to the Modesto area, I would look in the newer areas north and northeast of town. I have gone through there and it looked nice to me. I would also look at Oakdale or the lower Sierra foothills.

Don't get into a funk. Realize that you are coming into an area that is down now. You will also be paying a much lower price for a home. In a few years when things have sorted themselves out, you can look back and say how smart you were to buy when you did.

Mosquitoes? Maybe near the Delta waterways. Compared to 99% of the Midwest or East, mosquitoes are not a problem.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:27 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,084,385 times
Yes.. the newer areas are the ones that are going to seem hardest hit, simply because of how these homebuilders operate. Their prices would be 20% over market value, and after a year it would look like a good deal again. That doesn't fly anymore, especially when the financial health of the region wasn't that hot to begin with. But generally newer property is better.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:36 PM

62 posts, read 376,069 times
Oh Snowgirl... sorry to make you feel like you will be miserable here.. it's really not that bad... I haven't had a mosquito bite in years!! but we aren't out in the country around canals or rivers.... and the fog isn't near as bad as it was when I was younger... in fact we have wondered WHERE the fog has been the last few years. Which is good cause my kids were teen drivers! We still get the fog but not totally socked in like years past.. at least not in our area. We are just needing a change... family has all passed or moved away.... hubby in a slump with his business... I will try and not be so down on the central valley... I just won't let DH come post... :-P he's never really cared for CA anyway.. was an Air Force brat and could never understand of all the places to retire WHY his folks decided on HERE...LOL uh oh there I go again! :-p LOL I'm sure it will be NEW for you for sometime and you will love it... ??? The weather really is great! gets a bit on the hot side in the summer but just make sure you have a great AC... We still aren't wearing our heavy coats and it's almost January!! last Jan we got into the teens for a couple of weeks... but that is about the extent of it...

hope that helped a teeny bit!!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:36 PM

78 posts, read 282,452 times
I'm actually looking forward to leaving the central valley so I will try not to be too critical. We are planning our move to TN this summer. I have been in the Lodi/Galt area, south of Mo-town by 45 min, for 15 yrs. Before that I lived in the foothills, Jamestown-Sonora area. The fog in the valley really hasn't been that bad in the last few years, as mentioned in a previous post. We are most troubled by the graffiti, gang affiliations, car thefts, and home break ins. We had our truck stolen out of our middle class neighborhod and our neighborhood. The graffiti goes up as quickly as it is taken down. The school systems are very over-crowded. We have enjoyed a solid growth in the housing market and will fair well by selling now. It will also be a great time for you to buy. Of course, if we would have sold 2 years ago, we would have raked in some dough. Those days are over for the valley, at least for some years to come. If you have children, you may want to consider their future and what California holds for them. I would suggest getting them involved in positive activities so they are not pulled in by the gangs that want them to join their families. Best wishes to you!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:58 PM

17 posts, read 64,949 times
Not to be criticle but Lodi-Galt is North of Modesto, by about 45 minutes.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:38 AM

43 posts, read 208,557 times
Thank you so much for all your input. I'm busy here packing up and sorting out. I teach preschool so I will be here to at least Feb-my hubby leaves the 10th of Jan--hopefully we'll sell--it's pretty bad here in MI--so we may have to rent this place--I think MI is worst in the nation for unemployment and foreclosures...I have friends in Pleasanton and Tracy--they are advising me, but I guess the best thing would be to check out the areas myself. Thanks for all your information-nothing like first hand. Is it humid in the summer or dry heat? And another question-is it easier to fly from Sac airport to San Diego or east coast or from SFO? My children are grown--I have 4 grandkids and 2 on the way. I will be visiting them in Menlo Park frequently-how will that drive be??? And I will be flying to San Diego frequently since my daughter's wedding is there in June...Again thanks for responding to this thread, and if you can think of anything else to tell-please feel free

Happy New Year!!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,072,590 times
The summer is a dry heat. The winter is a wet cold (fog). A lot of people check for flights out of multiple airports for the best price. SFO is much bigger than Sac and will have more flights. I recently chose to fly into and out of Sac instead of Fresno because it was much cheaper. I know more about the south part of the valley than the north. It seems that a lot of college educated people are leaving the valley (my family, due to the air quality), and a lot of non-educated people are moving to the valley. To me, that does not bode well for the future of the valley. However, there are nice pockets, nice neighborhoods. If you can get a nice house in a nice neighborhood, you may not personally be affected by the down-turn in other areas in your day to day life.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 10,868 times
Hi Snogirl. I'm sure you've moved out here by now. For flight needs, I would consider Oakland Airport an option. Some say its about equi-distance to Sacramento. I live in Patterson and with no traffic, I can make it to Oakland airport in 55 mins on a good day. Plus Oakland offers more daily flights to San Diego than Sacramento does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California