Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:22 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times

Advertisements

San Diego, but make sure to visit Laguna Beach in Orange County:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4quHcjgECk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:55 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I agree there are a lot more nice beaches in Southern California then in the Bay Area, where options are limited, but I always find it perplexing but that people from the Bay Area get excited about the palm trees in Southern California, since there are so many palm trees in the Bay Area anyway. You can see them right in your own backyard, so they're not that novel to visit. and the Bay Area is statistically almost as sunny as Southern California, and certainly more sunny then most of the country, so that's not super exciting to go out of town for either. I'll give you one out of three! :-)
It's just the vibe. Rodeo Drive, Santa Monica Blvd, Hollywood, Venice Beach. It's a thing you feel that you won't glean from looking at weather and flora statistics. Sure, we've got palm trees lining the Embarcadero, but when they're in a perpetual fog bank, it's just not the same.

Don't be mistaken though. We don't visit LA to go see palm trees. Don't know many up here who do. We go to visit family or Disneyland. They are just part of what makes up the So Cal atmosphere that I especially appreciate when I happen to be down there.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:35 PM

231 posts, read 390,782 times
The most beautiful, livable city in California is Santa Barbara.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:07 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
The most beautiful, livable city in California is Santa Barbara.
Santa Barbara is definitely a beautiful place and it would be one of my top choices to live in CA if money weren't an issue. I'd disagree that it's most livable though. It's too expensive and has a weak job market.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,044 times
Nice but Santa Barbara is a small city, isn't? By the the things that were said, I'm preferring LA. Probably it´s the better combination between nice vibe, parties, beaches and weather, although I don´t like so much this Hollywood thing.

Last edited by lucas.aquino; 10-22-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 12:21 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
As a 20 year old, you might want to look into San Louis Obispo, on the central California coast. College town, so lots of young people. Liberal town, so there is that kind of cosmopolitan feel. Probably has a decent night scene.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 AM

79 posts, read 150,890 times
SD or LA if you're looking for the quintessential California experience. SF if you want the NYC feel but keep in mind SF is far from what foreigners think when they think of California. I would personally say live in LA or SD and go visit SF for a week or so. Also LA can be really hit and miss depending on the area decide to live in. It's not all hot girls and palm trees so make sure if you move there you are moving to the right area.

I've spent half my life in San Diego and the other half in Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara is a great place if you are in college or if you are retired. It's the most gorgeous city/town out there but after college you'll run out of people who live there that are in their mid to late 20's. A vast majority of the ones that are in mid/late 20's either aren't ambitious and are going no where or grew up there and refuse to leave.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:58 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
It's just the vibe. Rodeo Drive, Santa Monica Blvd, Hollywood, Venice Beach. It's a thing you feel that you won't glean from looking at weather and flora statistics. Sure, we've got palm trees lining the Embarcadero, but when they're in a perpetual fog bank, it's just not the same.

Don't be mistaken though. We don't visit LA to go see palm trees. Don't know many up here who do. We go to visit family or Disneyland. They are just part of what makes up the So Cal atmosphere that I especially appreciate when I happen to be down there.
That's definitely true. There's that extra energy and glitz that you get in LA. Not sure if you spend much time in SD, but that part of SoCal is very different and has a much more laid back, Santa Cruz sort of vibe that's familiar to us NorCal'ers. LA is its own beast: very urban, very flashy, very exciting, and really quintessentially "Southern Californian." San Diego, by comparison, really feels more like a hybrid of SoCal and the Bay Area in a lot of ways (more down to Earth, very East Bay/Oakland/Berkeley style urban neighborhoods, a bay, cooler and foggier compared to LA, wonderful nearby mountain excursions, more scenic coastline in spots (Sunset Cliffs, La Jolla tidepools and cliffs, Blacks Beach, etc). So for me, SD is the best of all worlds, plus access to LA for daytrips. All of CA wrapped into one place, without LA attitude or weirdness. :-)

Old 10-23-2014, 09:17 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,092 times
Your synopsis of SD is perfect. The only issue is that the job market is really weak for professional level jobs. I think the salaries are higher in Omaha than SD and I'm not joking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California