Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 8,005 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the current cost of living is? I plan to move up there in about 2 years, but I would like to know the yearly, or monthly, cost of living. The apartments I have been looking at are around 1200-1500 so please input that factor. Also I would be going to humboldt state and probably be receiving financial aid, but my tuition will be payed by my parents. How much does utility costs? This is my first time moving out so I have no idea. Let's assume the garbage is paid. I was thinking maybe 2000 monthly on non-essentials (rent, utilities, gas, groceries) It would be paid by two different incomes. Also what is the job market out there? I currently am employed at In-n-out and the closest one to humboldt state is 2 hours away. Any help would be loved and very much appreciated thank you.
---
I currently live in Southern CA with my parents.

Last edited by FrightyDog; 10-24-2014 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Give current location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 01:22 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,646,934 times
There is no one "cost of living". There might be some info on the C-D stats. Most students should be able to get by on $2k, even support a car, which you will need. The job market here is poor but there are student-type jobs available. Good luck to you. HSU is a friendly campus.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:40 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,785,442 times
OP, I am seeing one bedroom apartments listed for considerable less.....specially in Eureka.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:34 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,705,327 times
The cities of Eureka and Arcata are pretty affordable for a coastal area. The only problem is a lack of jobs. It's a nice area and very woodsy.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:40 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,447,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
The cities of Eureka and Arcata are pretty affordable for a coastal area. The only problem is a lack of jobs. It's a nice area and very woodsy.
Yep, I live in McKinleyville, just a hoot and a holler north of Arcata, $1200 to $1500 is typical rent for a house with a yard, not including utilities. What I see is that two or three students rent a 3 bedroom house here and go to school which is less then 5 miles south and if they ride a bike, they can hop on the Hammond trail right to HSU. I rode bike with two HSU students and did proof reading for one of them for two years. But jobs are scarce, a gallon of gas is at $3.49 regular todays price and milk is $4.19 a gallon. Jobs in construction though are booming due to the steady growth of booming McKinleyville. I am in the services as a self employed gardener, a niche field. New neighborhoods are popping up on what were old farms and the stores are being rebuilt to meet the larger population, it has more than doubled in 20 years. Go back 30 years and one would not recognize this town, even parts of Eureka. I see a lot of students working at the fast food joints, Safeway and Kmart here in town. Someone is always hiring. The bulb farm in Arcata hires students too. Rent is cheap, but the cost of living is high, but the water is delicious from the tap. I took some down to Oceanside 3 weeks ago and compared the water. Let me tell you, I did not swallow the water in Oceanside, only tasted it. If you can get used to the wet, being wet, riding a bike to save money, sharing with a room mate and not having the best job, what you get is clean air, clean water, blue skies, no traffic, nice friendly people, beautiful beaches and on good years snow covered mountains with in 35 miles from the coast. But you forgo night clubs, fast life and big city features.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:20 AM

2 posts, read 8,005 times
Thanks for the replies! I am more than ok without partying, it is the jobs that scare me

Old 10-29-2014, 12:48 AM

778 posts, read 817,840 times
The campus itself also hires quite a few students. Most of my friends who've seriously looked for work have managed to find something.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:31 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,447,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
The campus itself also hires quite a few students. Most of my friends who've seriously looked for work have managed to find something.
You are right, there are jobs here, but no room for slackers. Slack off and when you get canned, someone is waiting for that job and someone right behind them. Employers know that they wont have trouble finding someone to work, it is finding someone willing to work.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:36 PM

778 posts, read 817,840 times
Oh yeah, agreed. My employer is pretty laid back, but a lot of these businesses are small and local. That means you're going to be doing things outside your official job description pretty often, and you need to be willing to step up and do that.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:03 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,632,413 times
Dragonslayer has good info.
Jobs may seem unavailable, but as has been said, they can be had. The better your work ethics and having excellent references will get you looked at.

As for cost of living- rent is reasonable compared to the state as whole. Having room-mates is the way to go for sure. Food and fuel is a bit more expencive that what some may be used to. Utilities really depends on how the house/apartment is heated and the type of utilities- gas or electric. One can also get a reduced rate for utilities from PG&E based on your income. If you do the apartment thing, garbage is paid. Water- depends on where you decide to live.
If you figure room rent in a shared house, shared utilities, your own food, using public transportation or a bicycle and those other life things, $2000 a month, you would be quite comfortable.

BTW- the closest In and Out is way more than 2 hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California