Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:24 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread responses. And yet another poster questioning if Officer Friendly is an actual LEO, or maybe just a "buff".
Quote:
a buff is someone whose life revolves around police work. They will always talk about the job to anyone, whether they are cops or not, they ALWAYS wear something that says police, always think about police work, they talk in police codes and use cop terms in everyday normal conversations, and are very gung ho and eager. They watch cop shows, and read cop books. They own crown vics, and usually have police stickers all over the car.
Regardless, it begs wonder whether such extreme views of the general public's failure and immoralities are safe riding around wearing the power of badge and gun.

It's true that the number of character failures cited by the OP article and others since are small in comparison to the numbers of police on the streets. But the claims being made by nmo of who is worthy of a badge and the trust of the public are appalling. Some people make a mistake or are caught up in events beyond their control and proceed to get worse in life. Others learn from their experiences and are thus in greater position to make wiser judgements than others who do not have benefit of painful lessons.

Here we have read the admonishments and extremist opinions of a purported officer who condemns everyone who so much as raises a glass of wine to their lips (yes, the poster has literally stated and restated this in the past as a moral failure of "weak" escapists who can't be trusted). And we are urged to believe that this total lack of worldliness and understanding should be the benchmark for the public's trust.

Which, to me, is somewhat similar to the suggestion that Catholic priests make good marriage counselors.

I'm going with the hope that today's increased vetting would vet out such psychological instability, and the officer is merely a "buff" who couldn't make the academy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 06:58 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
Tule.. I blow you off because you are a self admitted drug user...but I must really occupy your mind...because you follow me like a puppy dog...every second I occupy your mind are seconds of your wasted life...thanks for the free rent.
You couldn't do my job or live in my world for one second...although you like to tell us all how you could... dream on... internet hero and authorities abound ..I'm impressed...not

I don't like scumbags...dopers..and crooks. and I really detest coppers who are crooks ... and I say do them after they have had a fair trial and their say in court... coppers all feel this way... but you don't have a clue... now if a copper makes a stupid mistake then they should take their discipline like a man and move on

And citizens should support the process ... because what happens to coppers is more severe than what happens to citizens...

Old 11-03-2014, 07:27 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Ongoing background investigations you are kidding, right? If you really ever worked in LE in California you certainly should be aware of govt code 3300 The Peace Officers Bill of Rights. You can't investigate ANYTHING regarding a peace officer after they are hired read # 14-16. Peace Officer's Bill of Rights [/color]

oh..so in your little alternate reality even people with bad credit shouldn't be allowed "in the mix" I guess that would have included me because at one time my wonderful CHP husband walked out on me and two kids, quit his job and left the state with his girlfriend who he was banging on duty I was lucky and quickly landed a a job in LE and within a few years was able to pay off all the debt he had racked up while he was out with his new squeeze using joint credit cards. But if you had been the arbiter of who is 'worthy' I guess I would have spent my life in a job I deserved, maybe like cleaning toilets?

yes, but I am really starting to doubt whether you are CA Codes (pen:830-832.17)
If you work narco on my department you have to sign a financial disclosure... why... you know why... patrol doesn't have to but I have no problems doing so... also in the units I worked I had to undergo extensive additional scrutiny by consent ... and I had no problem with that either... nor do I with random **** tests...even when the computer selects me every month

Why
Coppers who make bad financial decisions put themselves in potential ethical risks...I've seen it all too often..and so have you... living in motor homes in station parking lots because of exs...alimony.. girlfriends.. and alcohol..and hopefully nothing more..
The pobor came about because of the abuses of admin and zealous da's... it doesn't mean we as a group can't self police.You want to put your house payment on the line with someone whose shakey...have at it.. but as a chippie unless you are training or work ems you rarely get a partner...me... I want my partners squeaky clean... and who feel as I do.. and I'm blessed by department that fosters this

If you want to chest puff... do it in a pm...I'm not going to argue with another copper..if you are one... in open forum ...there's enough dirtbags here... but your too oft story is sad... and I wish it was less frequent... good backgrounds might reduce some of this stupidity... on going backgrounds might keep idiots from straying...again pobor is a double edged sword. On my department infidity occurs just like everywhere... however it is actionable... I doubt Chp would turn a blind eye either... why...every stinking reason you can think of why...
I'm not afraid of scrutiny... I wore a body cam long before they became policy ... I have no problems with vsa's or polygrapghs ... I volunteer for them when some scrote complains...most. coppers are scared of them.. or take them as an affront... not me..I do my job with nothing to hide.. if I do something wrong or out of policy then its on me..as it is all of us

Last edited by notmeofficer; 11-03-2014 at 07:39 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 11:49 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
If you want to chest puff... do it in a pm...I'm not going to argue with another copper..if you are one... in open forum ...there's enough dirtbags here... but your too oft story is sad... and I wish it was less frequent... good backgrounds might reduce some of this stupidity... on going backgrounds might keep idiots from straying...again pobor is a double edged sword. On my department infidity occurs just like everywhere... however it is actionable... I doubt Chp would turn a blind eye either... why...every stinking reason you can think of why...
I have no idea what that rant was about..time for me to move on, have a good day.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Tule.. I blow you off because you are a self admitted drug user...but I must really occupy your mind...because you follow me like a puppy dog...every second I occupy your mind are seconds of your wasted life...thanks for the free rent.
You couldn't do my job or live in my world for one second...although you like to tell us all how you could... dream on... internet hero and authorities abound ..I'm impressed...not

I don't like scumbags...dopers..and crooks. and I really detest coppers who are crooks ... and I say do them after they have had a fair trial and their say in court... coppers all feel this way... but you don't have a clue... now if a copper makes a stupid mistake then they should take their discipline like a man and move on

And citizens should support the process ... because what happens to coppers is more severe than what happens to citizens...
1) there is a name for the condition some people suffer where they believe they are being followed

2) most posting here are self-admitted users of either alcohol or pot or both - you are in the minority

3) your inability to think clearly is evident in your inability to use metaphors that make your point, or make any sense at all for that matter. For instance, puppies follow other dogs or people in admiration and desire for acceptance. Do I exhibit either of those conditions with regard to you?

4) you are right, I could not ever be a cop (not that you appear to be one either). I lived through waaaay more action, and fired more rounds doing it, in a couple years of my life than the entire police force of Redding has collectively in a lifetime, including their time on the practice range. And one of the things I learned from that was I have zero desire to exert judgement and power over others - especially violently. Somebody's got to do the job, but definitely not me. Sucks.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have no idea what that rant was about..time for me to move on, have a good day.
If there was any doubt before, there isn't now:
Quote:
a buff is someone whose life revolves around police work. They will always talk about the job to anyone, whether they are cops or not, they ALWAYS wear something that says police, always think about police work, they talk in police codes and use cop terms in everyday normal conversations, and are very gung ho and eager. They watch cop shows, and read cop books. They own crown vics, and usually have police stickers all over the car.
Cops are entirely used to, and comfortable with, the general public disagreeing with them. I have known my share, including close cousin who retired LEO, best friend in my youth who became a county mountie in NY state after we returned from Vietnam, a current boating partner, and a couple others who worked the precincts where my print shops were located. None of them exhibited the slightest tendency toward imbalanced ranting protests as we are reading here. Rather, they laughed, mostly good-naturedly, at civilian opinions of "coppers", and handled their responsibility and powers with at least some class and restraint.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:17 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
If there was any doubt before, there isn't now:

Cops are entirely used to, and comfortable with, the general public disagreeing with them. I have known my share, including close cousin who retired LEO, best friend in my youth who became a county mountie in NY state after we returned from Vietnam, a current boating partner, and a couple others who worked the precincts where my print shops were located. None of them exhibited the slightest tendency toward imbalanced ranting protests as we are reading here. Rather, they laughed, mostly good-naturedly, at civilian opinions of "coppers", and handled their responsibility and powers with at least some class and restraint.
Yes, it would only stand to reason that an individual on the force that exhibits as this unhinged would sooner rather than later be pulled aside, at the very least. Even amongst those that would engage in the activities described in the opening post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California