Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:28 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,970 times

Advertisements

Why not dispense with testing altogether and give everybody A's and trophies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 03:32 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
Why not dispense with testing altogether and give everybody A's and trophies?
Better idea: dispense with testing and stop comparing people with one another. Focus on individuality instead?

Old 11-03-2014, 04:08 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
I bet a school psychologist could handle this question.
I wonder if there are any around.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:07 PM

Not that are sane.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Most tests are usually not created to be a "beat the clock" kind of thing anyway. If you know what's what you can usually do what you need to score well. They are "timed" to be scheduled, to test memorization (times tables or whatnot) and mostly just to give an end time for everyone because, you know, life.

People with learning disabilities MAY need extra time just to get to the point of the question and just to allow them to get their ideas out. It's not about giving people more time to answer more questions or triple check their answers.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:39 PM

Wondering why so many assume that people who don't function rapid fire under pressure of timed constraints are "learning disabled"? As I wrote before, many seriously intelligent, creative, problem-solving people shut down under different kinds of pressure.

I knew a very sharp guy in the military, in Vietnam, who was in a very basic non-specialized rate. He was a demon under fire when the chips were down and the pressure was unbearable for most people. Highly decorated. Couldn't pass the tests in electronics schools, even though he understood the material. Just had a thing about clocks I guess.

I trusted him to literally make decisions about my life. And here I am writing this 46 years later.

Some of you sound like you think the world should be composed of nothing but STEM automatons who operate like little timers. Cheese Louise. Zombie world.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Wondering why so many assume that people who don't function rapid fire under pressure of timed constraints are "learning disabled"? As I wrote before, many seriously intelligent, creative, problem-solving people shut down under different kinds of pressure.

I knew a very sharp guy in the military, in Vietnam, who was in a very basic non-specialized rate. He was a demon under fire when the chips were down and the pressure was unbearable for most people. Highly decorated. Couldn't pass the tests in electronics schools, even though he understood the material. Just had a thing about clocks I guess.

I trusted him to literally make decisions about my life. And here I am writing this 46 years later.

Some of you sound like you think the world should be composed of nothing but STEM automatons who operate like little timers. Cheese Louise. Zombie world.
What do you propose?

Old 11-03-2014, 11:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So how long do you think this "extra time" should be? A week? A year? 10 years?

The main purpose of testing SHOULD be to grade people's performance. If you take five times as long to process something as someone else, why should they be punished for it? Because, that's what you're essentially doing.

Once you get into the business world, you see how long you'll last after telling your boss that your more careful and slow, and have a right to take all the time you feel you need to get the job done.

I spoke with a Mathematics instructor here at my local collage and he said "I have difficultly building tests that fit into the time-frame of my class's and often have to cut out valuable material"

His job is to teach students Mathematics.

Now if his ability to gather information about his students is being blurred by a time constraint, this is a problem.

There are many good teaching strategies for encouraging fluency in math, but the ones that are effective are those that simultaneously develop number sense, which is the flexible use and understanding of numbers and quantities without instilling fear and anxiety.

Beyond this fear and anxiety, timed tests also convey strong and negative messages about math, suggesting that math ability is measured by working quickly, rather than thinking deeply and carefully, the hallmark of high-level mathematical thinking.

I agree that being punctual with respect to time is an important skill in its own right out in the "business world". I get that. That being said, its not a measure of a students knowledge of that spicific material. When universities look at a students transcripts and consider them for admission, they are considering this persons knowledge of these individual subjects. Not how well they work under pressure or how fast they can take a test.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:17 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully1981 View Post
When universities look at a students transcripts and consider them for admission, they are considering this persons knowledge of these individual subjects. Not how well they work under pressure or how fast they can take a test.
Unfortunately, that's not true. The university will look at SAT, GRE, LSAT scores, based on timed tests. They'll look at grades, which are usually determined by timed tests. And timed tests include the ability to think fast and perform under pressure.

I know what you are saying and it is a shame that the entire educational system is based on test scores, which are based on timed tests.

But, how do we change this system? It's enormous.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:40 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I agree. I have worked with people who took forever to get a task done. Rarely, it's because they were slower thinkers. More often it was because they didn't have the capability of quickly deciphering what is important and what is not. They get bogged down in the details to the point of paralysis.

None of those people lasted very long at the company I work for.

IMO, children who take too long to complete exams should be identified so they can receive additional tutoring in how to sort through a problem quickly. Just giving them more time does nothing to solve the underlying problem.
Excellent point!

Basically, instead of bringing the standards down, which is done way to often these days in my opinipn, help those that need it to come up to the standard (in this case a time allotment).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California