Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 06:49 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
I am not saying I am in favor of it, I am saying this is the way it is. And has been since 1962. You can place any spin on it you want, but if America wanted to do something about illegal immigration it would, but it doesn't.. Money talks and principles walk.

What I do find humorous is that those who seem to get the most riled up about illegal immigration are those who identify themselves as political conservatives, Bush supporters,, and supporters of Republican control of the House and Senate, yet they never seem to ask themselves why there has been no meaningful immigration reform by the party that claims to dislike illegal immigration.

The answer is quite simple, follow the money, there will be no meaningful immigration reform, there is too much money to be made exploiting the immigrants,, that is the fact.
The outrage is the racism peeking out. financially, it's a boon to the State and everyone knows it. The same CEO who outsources a job overseas would gladly pay 5/hr for drywall work instead of 25. Who wouldnt!

Legal or illegal, Americans don't like foreigners. Add to the fact their non-whites, then you get outrage.

Remember when greeks, poles, italians and irish were the scapegoat, 100+ years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 08:19 PM

431 posts, read 393,538 times
Quote:
Oh, Lannie when you do venture overseas, don't forget to sew little American Flags on your luggage, and wear an American Flag lapel pin..

I bet the Canadians wish they could wear American flags

I'll be sure to do that, guide. I'm quite proud to be an American.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:09 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
That is good. Any members of this forum who have spent time overseas and who read your post, will find it interesting.

You may not be aware of this if you have not traveled overseas, but, identifying yourself as an American is a clear invitation for serious trouble. Which is why the Canadians sew Canadian flags on all their luggage, and why many Americans do the same.

If you wonder why this is so,, you need to carefully research the effect of American foreign policy on Americans travelling overseas.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:06 PM

128 posts, read 638,246 times
Default The territorial human

How many of us are recipients of the "Do as I say, not as I do" form of parenting? From what I can see, lots. We just grow up and apply the same rules to living together as adults and doing business as adults.

With regard to illegal immigrants and jobs and big business hypocrisy....
Big Business....when has it ever been any different? Hypocritical? You betcha.

But why stop at business? Same thing happens in all human endeavors. Yes, the Catholic church comes to mind here as well. And probably any other religious groups - or any group which is organized by humans on the planet for that matter be it ....religious, secular, political, social.

We will never solve any of it. We'll just pass it on....that propensity to want to own everything, run everything, make everything and everyone else the same as "us."

Just for a very small scale example of what I am talking about:

I just found out that the small town I live in within central California (with hugely powerful and invisible regulatory agents everyone calls "they" ) will have imposed upon it yet one more "building permit limitation." They are instituting yet another new "code enforcement" with regard to property. "They" have decided that our property, for which we pay dearly, and continue to pay dearly in the way of taxes, will now have size restriction limitations on remodel permits. Forget new construction....they won't allow any of that, but when you want to add on, well, "they'll" have to approve how big.

What is really interesting about this is that, according to my source who actually knows a couple of the humans who are on this regulatory "board" (and supposedly they have names although I don't know what they are),.....
not one of these people lives in a house that is within these limits. (but you knew that was coming, right?)....

Their houses are, of course, way bigger than any of the limitations they are imposing on us.

I just watch my dog peeing on everything from the minute we step outside and I just realize that some things just aren't going to change.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:27 PM

201 posts, read 860,876 times
greatbasinguide:
I can't share the name of the person for privacy reasons but she's a well known host of a travel-documentary TV show. She once mentioned that a long time ago, when she would travel for her documentary/reportage show and talk to common people on the streets, she wouldn't mind telling people that she was American and people respected that and actually wanted to come up to her. Since this so called "war on terror" and the hostilities the US has created, she said she no longer tells anyone that she's American for personal security reasons. She lets them think she's from Asia (she's of Asian descent). She said it was so sad that American foreign policies have created such hostilities against Americans but most Americans are completely ignorant of all this.

Quote:
That is good. Any members of this forum who have spent time overseas and who read your post, will find it interesting.

You may not be aware of this if you have not traveled overseas, but, identifying yourself as an American is a clear invitation for serious trouble. Which is why the Canadians sew Canadian flags on all their luggage, and why many Americans do the same.

If you wonder why this is so,, you need to carefully research the effect of American foreign policy on Americans travelling overseas.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:06 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
Speedoflight (unfortunately) I believe what you said in your last post. My family came to this country in 1968; I was so proud, honored and happy when we became full-fledged citizens of this country. How utterly and profoundly sad that some of us are afraid to say that we're Americans when travelling abroad; we're afraid because of personal safety.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:40 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Demona View Post
Yeah... I'm with you Greatbasingguide when it comes to the worst trajedy to hit America (Bush) but as far as illegal immigration goes I'm definitely with Lannie and everyone else... I'd GLADLY pay more for my produce if it meant my money was going to legal American citizens and no more illegal immigrants. Yard care? I can do it myself thanks. And I find it sad that illegal immigrants lawns are the very lawns that suffer... from neglect, childrens toys, clothing lines, trash strewn about... I think that our lawns would very much IMPROVE if we were to rid the country of illegal immigrants. As would the houses (maybe they'd actually get painted, or remodeled??!), the job market, population, traffic - the way I see it, illegal immigrants have done absolutely nothing for this country. I honestly cannot find ONE good thing (and I'm the kind of person who can usually find loop holes and all that stuff) but this is one area where I can see only massive destruction of our land due to illegal immigration. I welcome those who come here legally and don't break their very first law at the border upon entering the country. Do we really want people here who commit a crime upon entering? We have enough criminals in this country, send them back.
i have to say that wether i agree with you or not the fact is illegals are not the only people in this country with dirty yards and trash all over i have seen people of all colors have that same problem.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDDiamondGirl View Post
My parents were immigrants. Thank the stars, and good luck, that my dad could get here. But he didn't bring along "pridefulness." By that I mean, he didn't come over here and bring his 3rd world habits, upbringing, language or culture with him, insisting he keep it intact here, while all the Americans stood out of the way and let him have his "differences." He, instead, renewed himself as an American. He, at 19 years old, with no education, and no language skills, changed his name, took minimum wage jobs, learned how to speak like an American, look like an American, and act like an American. He named his children American names. He named his business, once he was able to start one of his own, an American name. He was so proud to be here. He did not move to this country and call himself a Germ-american, pole-American, Yugo-American,................or Czcech-American. He was an American, period, and very proud of it. He left all that other stuff behind. What happened to that? Many people today would take issue with that and call him "ashamed of his past." What a bunch of ...............!
United we stand, divided we fall. Come here, be legal, be American or get out.
that is very sad that he gave up all of who he was and what he came from to try to become something else in hopes that the american people whould accept him.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:07 AM

676 posts, read 3,075,313 times
Default Illegal Immigrants

Please note if topics start to go in the direction of illegal immigration I am going to move the whole thread to the Political forum. Please keep these posts on topic. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:47 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
Enlightenme, I compliment your superb moderation, and will adhere to forum rules, but, as I understand you have to tread a fine line of judging topics to be location-specific or general, I have a question. If we also tread that fine line and make our posts very location-specific, would they necessarily be moved? I dislike the non-specific rants myself, as they impart deranged rhetoric as opposed to realistic observation and facts about California. Having said that...

For instance, living in low-to-moderate income San Fernando Valley in L.A., one of the primary reasons beyond financial ones that we are being forced out of here is the negative changes to the specific community we could afford wrought by the illegals, right here, over the last decade. Perhaps this works both ways in imparting info to would-be relocators on this forum. This is the undeniable reality of living in low-to-mod S.F.Valley. If one actually likes neighborhoods of non-English-speaking, and ear-shattering amplified music day and night, perhaps this and the debris would seem comforting to those who want an American locale to remind them of another country. One poster said this is what he thought city life should be anyway. Perhaps readers here should be allowed to make up their own minds with very locale-specific posting about intrusive social problems that affect specific cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California