Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:46 AM

13 posts, read 44,866 times

Advertisements

Why are they going down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Plenty of folks make a move from the midwest to California and do just fine. I have two sons who moved from Ohio to Los Angeles, renting apartments in Brentwood and Santa Monica, and they are doing just great. Both have gotten employment where they make MORE than enough to cover the cost of rent difference between Ohio and their current areas, and love it there. You are doing the right thing, and I encourage you to continue to plan and do the move.

Limiting your life experiences is foolish in my view, and you should try and do what you desire, you will never regret attempting new adventures, but you will regret being to timid to follow your desires.

thank you a lot and thank you very much!!!!...what do your sons do by the way?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:53 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb442 View Post
thank you a lot and thank you very much!!!!...what do your sons do by the way?
I have one who works for a major film studio reviewing proposed movie scripts and ideas, while the other works as an accountant for a commercial real estate development firm.

Both went to state colleges in Ohio, one with a Communications Degree (who works for the studio) and the other a business major. Both now make a salary that is more than sufficient to allow them to live on their own (without roommates) in very nice areas of LA. In both of their situations, the pay DIFFERENCE between what they made in Ohio and in Los Angeles MORE than pays their entire rent obligation.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:45 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,443,613 times
Big difference between working for studio or an accounting agency and working in a dry cleaning store! Of course your sons can more easily afford Cali. I hope ALL her dreams come true. I just wanted her to realize that 8 or 10 $ per hour isnt the same in Cali as it is in Wisc. I have seen people come to Cali with high hopes and end up doing some awful things just to get the $ to go back home. But like I said, I hope ALL her dreams come true!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
Big difference between working for studio or an accounting agency and working in a dry cleaning store! Of course your sons can more easily afford Cali. I hope ALL her dreams come true. I just wanted her to realize that 8 or 10 $ per hour isnt the same in Cali as it is in Wisc. I have seen people come to Cali with high hopes and end up doing some awful things just to get the $ to go back home. But like I said, I hope ALL her dreams come true!
Your point is valid, but my point of view is that you need to be here to avail yourself of the opportunities which may come available. Neither kid started out working in LA where they are currently employed, and started with more menial jobs. But being here allowed them to see the opportunities as they became available and to go for the job inteviews in person (and to network).

Old 01-03-2008, 11:52 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,443,613 times
Newto Cal--you make a valid point. thats why i like discussion boards like this. with different opinions being heard you never know what the OP may figure out

Old 01-03-2008, 12:11 PM

413 posts, read 1,842,443 times
Good Luck dmb!!!!!!
We're moving to L.A. from Indiana in March! Even with all the negative posts we've read we are still very excited to get to L.A. Life is too short for regret. Live! What happens, happens. That's the joy of life!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 PM

I got off the phone with my dads friend who live in Cali and I get to work for him starting at $12.60 an hour....mmmmmmm im excited. so now you guys wont have anything negative to say...with 2 roomies now and during feb. were going out there for 2 weeks to look at places. and to Jakehorror good luck to you guys as well and I agree thank you very much

Old 01-03-2008, 07:52 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,537,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Plenty of folks make a move from the midwest to California and do just fine. I have two sons who moved from Ohio to Los Angeles, renting apartments in Brentwood and Santa Monica, and they are doing just great. Both have gotten employment where they make MORE than enough to cover the cost of rent difference between Ohio and their current areas, and love it there.
Do you think your sons will get married and start families in the next five years or so? If so, where might they buy a home?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you think your sons will get married and start families in the next five years or so? If so, where might they buy a home?
Certainly is possible, and I'm not worried about that at this time. I understand the housing cost issue, I'm out in Sacramento and had to deal with about an 80% price adjustment as compared to Columbus, Ohio.

They both are in the process of saving for down payments, and I'm sure that when the time comes they can find something in the Pasadena, Glendale or Glendora areas for the low to mid $400's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California