Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
The only problem is with Real Estate right now
The only problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I know people who relocated from SoCal and went somewhere else only to come back
I wonder how many don't come back.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:28 AM

9 posts, read 30,957 times
It's so refreshing to read all the wonderful posts. Thank you for filling my plate with some good food for thought.........now I just have to digest it all. My wife's totally on board with me, and she's saying "baby, lets do it!" So now the source of our uncertainty is......rent vs. mortgage. Right now, it's a buyers market, and I'm not sure if waiting til' the market bottoms out is such a great idea in reality.......I mean, In theory it sounds brilliant, but in my head I just imagine that when prices hit rock bottom, everyone is going to want in (especially since they've all been waiting for the market to hit rock bottom as well), which would shift the market back into a seller's market where the highest bid wins. Right now, I'm seeing so many perks, add-ons, and seller's offering to pay closing costs, etc........ But then again, I don't want to be upside down on our mortgage as well.......making the purchase today, and then a year or two later, the value of our home is 50K less than what we've paid for it. Scary thought. I'm currently overseas at the moment writing this and I won't be home until the February time frame, which gives us plenty of time to think about what we want to do.........rent or buy...............and when I return, we'll return to California and..............(to be continued)

Any advice would be helpful...........

Old 01-15-2008, 11:46 AM

54 posts, read 333,419 times
ya googd there are proplem here but there are problem every where depend on personality and life stile
good luck

Old 01-15-2008, 12:19 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,446 times
Default What happens to the housing market in a recession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_t View Post
I in my head I just imagine that when prices hit rock bottom, everyone is going to want in (especially since they've all been waiting for the market to hit rock bottom as well), which would shift the market back into a seller's market where the highest bid wins. Right now, I'm seeing so many perks, add-ons, and seller's offering to pay closing costs, etc........ But then again, I don't want to be upside down on our mortgage as well.......making the purchase today, and then a year or two later, the value of our home is 50K less than what we've paid for it. Scary thought. I'm currently overseas at the moment writing this and I won't be home until the February time frame, which gives us plenty of time to think about what we want to do.........rent or buy...............and when I return, we'll return to California and..............(to be continued)

Any advice would be helpful...........
This is not "advice", just my musings: If you are following the business pages (U.S.), many economists are saying there will be (or may be) a recession on its way. Consumers have (from what I read) started hanging on to their money a little tighter. This doesn't seem like the type of economic climate that would be conducive to buying a house unless the deal was really great--and California is not there and won't be any time soon.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:42 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
I would hold off on buying a home right now... Prices should continue to fall for a few years if this follows recessions of the past. You might find that $400K home selling for $200K down the road. (And Temecula is tremendously overbuilt right now. Lots of homes and very few buyers.)

As for living in California -- life is too short to not enjoy where you are living. I'd move if I were you! I'm also from Florida and I find the terrain out here just fascinating. It's hard to explain to most people but someone from Florida probably understands what I'm saying.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:41 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Fred,

I don't blame you for loving California and enjoying the sunsets.

I've taken many sunset photos throughout the years; these two pics show the sunset two days ago (Jan. 14)...

Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 PM

Every once in a while you'll see this just after sunset. I can remember these things as a kid in the 1960s. It is the result of a missile launch from Vandenberg AFB about 150 miles northwest of Los Angeles. This photo was taken from the Reagan library in Simi Valley. (NASA was thisclose to using VAFB for shuttle launches.)

Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 AM

119 posts, read 716,687 times
hi fred, your posts would be much easier to read if you broke up the paragraphs...

Old 01-10-2009, 10:12 PM

212 posts, read 640,811 times
I think it's interesting how many Californians think that Cali has the market on beautiful sunsets.

As for living here....(I've been here almost 3 years), to each his own but I find it to be far too fast-paced and congested. I'm one of the ones who will be leaving soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California