Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 01:57 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,859,427 times

Advertisements

Neenach has only several hundred people, and has no schools.

Acton is the right size, but there's not much of a "there" there. Also may be too close to LA.

Barstow, Ridgecrest, and Twentynine Palms are too big for OP IMO, these are full-service cities that are the hubs for their areas. My wife grew up in Ridgecrest, and I lived there for 3 years, and while it definitely has the small-town mentality, it really isn't that small, and is growing. Ridgecrest is about the same size as Eureka or Monterey (propers). I could list pros and cons of living there all day.....it takes a special kind.

Just off the top of my head, Idyllwild won't work either, as its high school kids get bused down to Hemet. Lake Arrowhead should fit all criteria, however.

The idea of Fillmore is intriguing, it might be a good suggestion upon further investigation (I've never been there ).

The Lake Isabella area was a good idea too, it would meet the population requirements if you added up all of the towns surrounding the lake. It's a pretty area too, but it is VERY economically depressed.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:53 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Neenach has only several hundred people, and has no schools.

Acton is the right size, but there's not much of a "there" there. Also may be too close to LA.

Barstow, Ridgecrest, and Twentynine Palms are too big for OP IMO, these are full-service cities that are the hubs for their areas. My wife grew up in Ridgecrest, and I lived there for 3 years, and while it definitely has the small-town mentality, it really isn't that small, and is growing. Ridgecrest is about the same size as Eureka or Monterey (propers). I could list pros and cons of living there all day.....it takes a special kind.

Just off the top of my head, Idyllwild won't work either, as its high school kids get bused down to Hemet. Lake Arrowhead should fit all criteria, however.

The idea of Fillmore is intriguing, it might be a good suggestion upon further investigation (I've never been there ).

The Lake Isabella area was a good idea too, it would meet the population requirements if you added up all of the towns surrounding the lake. It's a pretty area too, but it is VERY economically depressed.
to be honest, in my opinion it will be really hard for the OP to find everything she wants. She may have to settle for a larger town or move several hours away from Los Angeles. I am wondering what she really knows about southern California? There isn't a lot of areas that are not pretty well developed with more population than she wants. Northern CA would be a better bet. Or even central CA. Plus to get the small town she wants with their own school district isn't going to be a easy task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 6,876 times
Ojai

Old 11-17-2014, 01:52 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,606,399 times
Ojai is a great little town, is it less than an hour from LA?

Old 11-18-2014, 08:11 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,642,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaCarmonaR View Post
I'm looking for a town with 8,000- 15,000 people. It has to be at least one hour from Los Angeles and has to be a private town with nothing in the distance for atleast 30 minutes. It must have a elementary, middle, and high school, as well as a cemetery. Please let me know of your findings. Thank you
Carpinteria has 13,000 folks, schools and cemetery. Ventura is 15 minutes and Santa Barbara about the same unless it's rush hour. Los Angles 1-1/2 hrs. again sans traffic.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:36 AM

6,346 posts, read 7,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
...The idea of Fillmore is intriguing, it might be a good suggestion upon further investigation...
When I finished my undergraduate degree at SDSU, I moved to Fillmore and live there for five years before moving to Ventura. I enjoyed my time there. At that time, (mid-80s), there were about 10,000 people. More now. Somewhere around 12k or 13k, I think. A check of C-D will tell you.

Demographically, it is, (or was), about 65% Hispanic and the rest anglo-saxon, (Gringos?). There were no racial tension in the town, at least what I experienced. (Well, my next-door neighbor's mother/grandmother threw a holy fit when I ripped out the roses to plant something else. You would think I had committed a mortal sin. She saved them and replanted them in her yard. All was good.) Almost all of the Hispanics in Fillmore have been there for generations. Most of them are/were agricultural workers. There are a "ton" of orchards in the Heritage Valley, (as the state highway 126 corridor is called).

Politically, the place is pretty evenly balanced. The town usually elects moderates. Everybody gets along. Nothing too extreme.

When I lived there, it was a one-hour commute to my job in Pasadena. Pretty much always right at an hour. The only time it took a little longer is when I would get stuck behind a farm/orchard tractor on the 126. Since then, the road has been widened its entire length to four lanes. However, traffic through Valencia is a lot heavier now, so I'd think the commute would be longer.

About the only thing I really didn't like about the place was the summer heat. It sure got hot in Fillmore in the middle of the summer. Santa Paula, nine/ten miles closer to Ventura was usually about 5-10 degrees cooler. Then, another twenty miles past Santa Paula puts you into the coastal Ventura, (always cool weather).

Other than my neighbors and the church "family", I really didn't make many acquaintances/friendships in town. That was my own fault because of working all day during the week and it seemed like we would always head out to Ventura on Saturdays. But, in general, people who live there are friendly enough. I'd live there again.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:43 AM

6,346 posts, read 7,721,264 times
Addendum:

A quick check of the C-D page on Fillmore shows the population to be 15K and the racial mix 76% Hispanic, 20% Gringo, the balance "other".

Old 11-23-2014, 11:00 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,495,118 times
Bishop CA is 'at least one hour from LA' - with about 10,000 living in/near the city limits.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,266,300 times
At least an hour from LA? Susanville!

Old 09-16-2020, 04:48 PM

275 posts, read 413,764 times
This is six years old and therefore it is too late but Mojave and California City might qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California