Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 01:38 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Too bad if the Toyota employees are gay:

Even though it was Texas’s sodomy law that the Supreme Court struck down over 10 years ago, that law is still part of the state’s sex education policy:

(2) state that homosexual conduct is not an acceptable lifestyle and is a criminal offense under Section 21.06, Penal Code.
The Republic of Texas don't need no stankin' laws to quite effectively discriminate. (Surely the good ol' folks in Plano are eagerly awaiting an army of Californios to invade their territory).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 02:49 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Not to mention prehistoric marijuana laws in Texas...no medical marijuana and the possession of marijuana of 4 oz (about 3 plants' worth) is a FELONY.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:32 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,744 times
If TX and CA had the exact same weather, geography, scenery, etc., I wonder how many people would choose CA? I don't want to live in TX. The weather blows, it's flat, and the scenery just doesn't do it for me. People talk about the place like it's some backwards, polluted, racist, uneducated smorgasbord. It's far from it. It wouldn't be the 2nd most populous state if it really was. In fact, I'd argue that the very fact a place with miserable weather and little scenery could be the 2nd most populous state speaks to what people think of everything else. TX has more African Americans than CA. I'm not just talking percentages. It has more in actual population. The percentage is nearly twice as high as CA. Are they just imbeciles for living in such an oppressive state or could it be it just isn't that bad? TX and CA have nearly the same % of Hispanics. I'm pretty sure gays aren't rounded up and imprisoned. TX is a very appealing place for anyone politically moderate or conservative. If you live in a progressive bubble you might not even be aware of how large a number of Americans that is.

But that weather blows! Most places that are hot as heck in the summer reward you in the winter with mild and pleasant weather. Not in TX. You might see snow and ice as far south as the border.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:38 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
The main problem with moving to Texas is that you have to live there.

If all that matters in life to you is money then it might be worth a shot.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:47 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The Republic of Texas don't need no stankin' laws to quite effectively discriminate. (Surely the good ol' folks in Plano are eagerly awaiting an army of Californios to invade their territory).
Half of Plano IS Californians! Plano is Irvine on the prarie.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:48 AM

5 posts, read 7,647 times
I would like to second your opinion. I have lived in the North East, Los Angeles, and in the Bay Area, and moved to the DFW area not too long ago due to a promotion. As a minority, I have felt nothing but friendliness and support from the people around me here. A lot of people have a negative impression of Texas, however, my quality of life has improved, I have made amazing friends, and have found great career opportunities. I'm relatively young, and I know of many other young professionals who have moved in from all over to take advantage of the economic opportunities. I think the DFW area has grown and changed drastically in the past 10 years. You wouldn't expect it, but the DFW area is quite diverse and people in general are quite accepting. There's a lot of cool pockets to hang out around the city, lakes, breweries, museums, hiking trails, and diversity in food. I can't speak for the rural areas since I've never been there, but I get the sense that people near the cities are pretty open-minded. Before I moved out here, I never thought I would end up in Texas. But now that I'm here, I don't regret it one bit. Sometimes it pains me to read about the ignorance and close-mindedness that people (not all of course) in CA express towards Texas. I enjoyed my time out in CA and do visit from time-to-time, but I love living in DFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
If TX and CA had the exact same weather, geography, scenery, etc., I wonder how many people would choose CA? I don't want to live in TX. The weather blows, it's flat, and the scenery just doesn't do it for me. People talk about the place like it's some backwards, polluted, racist, uneducated smorgasbord. It's far from it. It wouldn't be the 2nd most populous state if it really was. In fact, I'd argue that the very fact a place with miserable weather and little scenery could be the 2nd most populous state speaks to what people think of everything else. TX has more African Americans than CA. I'm not just talking percentages. It has more in actual population. The percentage is nearly twice as high as CA. Are they just imbeciles for living in such an oppressive state or could it be it just isn't that bad? TX and CA have nearly the same % of Hispanics. I'm pretty sure gays aren't rounded up and imprisoned. TX is a very appealing place for anyone politically moderate or conservative. If you live in a progressive bubble you might not even be aware of how large a number of Americans that is.

But that weather blows! Most places that are hot as heck in the summer reward you in the winter with mild and pleasant weather. Not in TX. You might see snow and ice as far south as the border.

Last edited by nling; 11-20-2014 at 08:57 AM..

Old 11-20-2014, 10:58 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,698,539 times
Texas is the China of the United States. It's where we do all the dirty, cheap manufacturing. I can't count the number of recruiters I've turned down who were begging me to take a job in Texas. (And some who wanted me to go to China too. Ha!)

Sure, the big cities are okay, if you don't mind clogged freeways, ineffective mass transit, and smog-choked skies. At least in California you get a nearby beach with good surf and nice weather to go with all the bad.

I would only move there if it was a choice between homelessness and living in Texas. I can only assume it's a similar story for most skilled workers. I didn't get an advanced degree and become highly skilled in my field, just to move to Waco or some other gawdforsaken place, where I'd need a McMansion, a man cave, and a F350 pickup truck in order to salve my distress at living in such a lousy state.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:27 AM

5 posts, read 7,647 times
I'm a college graduate with a decent corporate job and most of the people I have met who have moved here are what you would consider skilled, highly-educated workers as well. Where I work in Plano, there are large corporate offices for Pepsi, JCPenny's, Dr. Pepper, HP, and many other companies. I just think there's a misconception that Texas is full of dirty, cheap manufacturing jobs. Sure, they exist, but I think the economy is so diverse that there's something for everyone.

As for China, have you visited the major cities recently? I have friends from California who went out there and have had incredible experiences. When I was a kid, I never had any interest in visiting. But after visiting some of the major cities, it really changed my perspective and opened up my eyes. Those major cities have come a long way.

I've never been to Waco so I can't judge but something tells me it is a lot different than Dallas. My perception may be skewed, but don't you think choosing between homelessness and living in Texas is kind of extreme? With the exception of Philz coffee and Mission burritos, almost everything I did in SF, I do in Dallas. Sure, there's no beach and mountains, but I didn't make use of those amenities too often. Traffic is bad in some areas, but it is no where as bad as SF or LA. Mass transit isn't popular because everyone drives and parking is abundant.

Last edited by nling; 11-20-2014 at 11:48 AM..

Old 11-20-2014, 02:01 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Texas is the China of the United States. It's where we do all the dirty, cheap manufacturing. I can't count the number of recruiters I've turned down who were begging me to take a job in Texas. (And some who wanted me to go to China too. Ha!)

Sure, the big cities are okay, if you don't mind clogged freeways, ineffective mass transit, and smog-choked skies. At least in California you get a nearby beach with good surf and nice weather to go with all the bad.

I would only move there if it was a choice between homelessness and living in Texas. I can only assume it's a similar story for most skilled workers. I didn't get an advanced degree and become highly skilled in my field, just to move to Waco or some other gawdforsaken place, where I'd need a McMansion, a man cave, and a F350 pickup truck in order to salve my distress at living in such a lousy state.
Yeah right... Comparing TX to China is nuts. Look, I like CA. You might be wearing some seriously tinted rose glasses though.

1. Clogged freeways? Which state are you talking about? Do you live in Truckee or something?

2. Pollution? I've never seen smog anywhere in the USA as thick as it is over LA, SBC and northern Riverside County.

You are right about the beaches though. CA whoops TX there. I do have some fond yet foggy memories of S. Padre Island though.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:07 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Too bad if the Toyota employees are gay:

Even though it was Texas’s sodomy law that the Supreme Court struck down over 10 years ago, that law is still part of the state’s sex education policy:

(2) state that homosexual conduct is not an acceptable lifestyle and is a criminal offense under Section 21.06, Penal Code.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Quote:
Not to mention prehistoric marijuana laws in Texas...no medical marijuana and the possession of marijuana of 4 oz (about 3 plants' worth) is a FELONY.
We have one of the largest gay communities in the US and we all get along just find. (I was involved with PFLAG and Black Tie for years with my gay son)

Want Pot ? Ask any 10th grader here to hook you up.

Nobody get's arrested for Pot possession here more than CA. And we don't require a stupid $100 prescription.

I'd bet I pay half the taxes you pay !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California