Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,642,757 times

Advertisements

the OP states Northern California, there are those of us who do not consider the Bay Area as Northern California, but as its own region, The Bay Area.

Northern California starts about San Rafael, and runs in a line through Woodland to Nicolaus to Lincoln to Grass Valley to Truckee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:22 PM

29 posts, read 116,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
the OP states Northern California, there are those of us who do not consider the Bay Area as Northern California, but as its own region, The Bay Area.

Northern California starts about San Rafael, and runs in a line through Woodland to Nicolaus to Lincoln to Grass Valley to Truckee.
You just revived my trust in humanity. As long as not all NorCal is like the Bay Area, not all is lost.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:12 PM

20 posts, read 85,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Stockton
Hhhhmmm... no its not. Many other cities in Northern California are better.

Sacramento and San Francisco, for example.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:27 PM

107 posts, read 247,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshadykid View Post
Oroville in Butte County has a crime rate of 867, placing it at number 6
Oroville crime rate is skewed because of statistics. The city limits have 15,000 people, but the Oroville area has 60,000. So We have the crimes of 60,000 people rated to 15,000 people. Not a very accurate picture dont you think?

Old 08-15-2011, 06:56 PM

8 posts, read 98,726 times
Smile Where should I live that in NorCal?

Hi I'm 51 and married, have two boys age 13 and 10 1/2. Both my wife and I want to have jobs with an easy commute. I want to live in a medium sized town/small city. I want the town to be kid and pet friendly (have a dog and two cats). We'd prefer that the town have fun activities and opportunities to do. We'd like to have good schools for our kids (7th grade and 5th grade). My family lives up in Redding so we'd like to be driving distance (4 hours at most... preferably under 2). Thanks for your help!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:34 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,420,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlywhite View Post
Oroville crime rate is skewed because of statistics. The city limits have 15,000 people, but the Oroville area has 60,000. So We have the crimes of 60,000 people rated to 15,000 people. Not a very accurate picture dont you think?
Oroville does get maligned a lot, but I'm sorry, it's not without good reason. For example, this may not really be a "crime" but it's the only place I've ever seen where you can't drive down the main drag (Oro Dam Blvd.), without routinely seeing some bored dum-a$$ yelling at every passerby from out the window of his pickem-up... and just for the hell of it (WTF)!! Although the best explanation I've heard is that the many folks incarcerated at the county jail there (which is also the city's biggest employer), all have a lot of "similar" kin who moved there just so they can live close by their "detained" maw, paw, husband, wife, son, daughter, whatever, either awaiting trial or out on parole!

Old 08-16-2011, 01:19 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,043,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric! View Post
Hi I'm 51 and married, have two boys age 13 and 10 1/2. Both my wife and I want to have jobs with an easy commute. I want to live in a medium sized town/small city. I want the town to be kid and pet friendly (have a dog and two cats). We'd prefer that the town have fun activities and opportunities to do. We'd like to have good schools for our kids (7th grade and 5th grade). My family lives up in Redding so we'd like to be driving distance (4 hours at most... preferably under 2). Thanks for your help!
Find the jobs first then pick a place to live based on your commute and your budget. Northern California is huge and has a lot of traffic bottlenecks so you won't want to do something like buy a house in San Rafael then end up getting a job in Santa Cruz.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:04 PM

8 posts, read 98,726 times
I just want suggestions.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,361,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric! View Post
I just want suggestions.
Too simplistic and vague. What kind of jobs? Where? Estimated income? What budget for housing? Rent or buy?

Get the picture?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:47 AM

282 posts, read 616,489 times
Sonoma & Healdsburg are hoity - toity to the max & the properties are super expensive. GREATHOMES.ORG
is a complete MLS real estate site for Marin,Sonoma,Napa,Solano,Lake & Mendocino counties. This site should give you an idea of what is available in each area price wise.

I live in Sonoma county & highly recommend it for the abundance of nature,beauty & activities & there are plenty of jobs & SF is only 1-1.5 hrs. depending where you live. There are redwoods,ocean,mountains,rolling grass & oak studded hills,sage brush,evergreens,palms,little tiny towns,big overgrown towns,wine country, great weather, a little bit of everything. The traffic is bad though & Santa Rosa is growing way too big for it's briches. The South part of the county is starting to suffer greatly from overpopulation,from Petaluma to Windsor. It is still nicer than a lot of places, but things can be busy. There is still a lot of open space,small towns & places to escape to,but in the large towns here it is especially busy & all the tourists don't help,but are vital to the economy.

Anderson Valley and Mendocino county are extremely expensive considering there are NO JOBS,it makes SLO look like the bay area. I was looking to buy up there around Ukiah & commute to Sonoma county to my existing work, but the
properties are still too pricey for something nice with an acre. Willits has cheaper properties & a lot of beauty, but the town has nothing to offer & is 1.5 hrs. to Santa Rosa
& almost 3 hrs. to SF. Any other towns up there like Laytonville or Covelo are even more in the BOONIES & unlivable unless you are an independently wealthy pot farmer or just independently wealthy. The coast there in Mendo. is gorgeous too but 2-3 hrs. from any type of real job & amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California