U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2008, 03:23 PM
 
1 posts, read 122,767 times
Reputation: 23
Red face Best place to live in Northern California?

We are currently living in the UK and are thinking of moving to Northern California but don't know whereabouts to live. My husband works in IT (AIX / Linux Administrator) and we have 2 daughters (age 5 and 10 months). We therefore would like to live somewhere within reasonable communting distance to IT work and large shops but ideally in a small friendly town with good schools and a baptist church. We are looking to buy a detached house with a good size garden (maybe with a pool) in a friendly neighbourhood. Great weather would be a bonus. It would be nice to be able to get to a beach within a 45 minute drive (not essential though) and for vacations we like to spend time camping / lake fishing / kayaking etc. (obviously when baby is bigger!!) Can anyone recommend somewhere that would suit us? Also, what are the pros and cons of living in northern california? If you have any links to IT jobs and salaries in the area / house prices that would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 PM
 
4 posts, read 132,143 times
Reputation: 22
With wanting to be near the ocean I would suggest Sebastapol, St Helena, Bodega, maybe Petaluma (that is a bigger city though). If you can be farther from the ocean Placer & El Dorado Counties have high tech jobs and a scattering of smaller towns all within 40 minutes or so of Sacramento. I would suggest Granite Bay, Folsom, Newcastle, Auburn as a few possibilites, it all depends on your definition of a small town. Intel is in Folsom, HP in Roseville. There are lots of recreation lakes, camping in the mountains. Nevada City and Grass Valley also have some high tech jobs, good schools, and shopping, cooler winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 AM
 
9 posts, read 153,201 times
Reputation: 23
i would suggest the redding area up mopre towards oregon. I visited down there for maybe a week and was surprised at the weather and awesome atmosphere down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2008, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,365 posts, read 51,646,460 times
Reputation: 16192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catkin View Post
We therefore would like to live somewhere within reasonable communting distance to IT work and large shops but ideally in a small friendly town with good schools and a baptist church. We are looking to buy a detached house with a good size garden (maybe with a pool) in a friendly neighbourhood. Great weather would be a bonus. It would be nice to be able to get to a beach within a 45 minute drive (not essential though) and for vacations we like to spend time camping / lake fishing / kayaking etc. (obviously when baby is bigger!!) Can anyone recommend somewhere that would suit us? Also, what are the pros and cons of living in northern california? If you have any links to IT jobs and salaries in the area / house prices that would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Why do you want to move to Northern California?

Have you ever been to Northern California?

What is your housing price range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 04:47 PM
 
1 posts, read 113,241 times
Reputation: 20
Hello... I don't typically blog but your request hit me between the eyes. I moved to Northern California over 20 years ago. I have found the ideal area to raise a family, by the sea with access to the tech industry. We live in Scotts Valley, CA. Small town of about 11,000. Small enough to feel familiar but not so small to feel like everyone knows your business. The schools elementary schools are both highly rated. Brook Knoll is a 10 and Vine Hill is a 9 out of a scale of 10. You also mentioned the beach... we are about 10 minutes from the beaches... Santa Cruz or the more village feel of Capitola Beach. Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,893 posts, read 7,569,778 times
Reputation: 1672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happymomd&m View Post
Hello... I don't typically blog but your request hit me between the eyes. I moved to Northern California over 20 years ago. I have found the ideal area to raise a family, by the sea with access to the tech industry. We live in Scotts Valley, CA. Small town of about 11,000. Small enough to feel familiar but not so small to feel like everyone knows your business. The schools elementary schools are both highly rated. Brook Knoll is a 10 and Vine Hill is a 9 out of a scale of 10. You also mentioned the beach... we are about 10 minutes from the beaches... Santa Cruz or the more village feel of Capitola Beach. Good luck with your decision!
I hope they've made it by now ... their decision ... since the post was made over a year ago.
Hi up there in S.V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Newark, California
2,249 posts, read 736,714 times
Reputation: 666
Hmm, im surprised no one has said 'Silicon Valley' for IT jobs. Personally with America's economy not being the greatest and California having by far the highest housing prices ive ever known your going to need quite a cash. Being from Nothern California [Newark], I'd have to say check out these 5 cities, San Jose, Sunnyvale, Newark[No IT jobs here really, but good enough for a commute], Los Altos, and Milpitas. Now if your not sure these cities are in the Bay Area. The weather here is generally sunny, and in the winter we get rain really, no thunderstorms are screaming winds, lightning, snow, etc. for the most part. When it come to the beach it wont be that far of a drive, and the kayaking and stuff you can drive up to Lake Tahoe for those things. The church can be found anywhere around here, there are tons of churches in the Bay Area. Just stay out of Palo Alto, Oakland, Richmond, Parts of Hayward and Union City as they have higher to high crime rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 PM
 
13,114 posts, read 23,395,010 times
Reputation: 7373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dude View Post
Just stay out of Palo Alto, Oakland, Richmond, Parts of Hayward and Union City as they have higher to high crime rates.
The crime index for Palo Alto is less than half the United States Average


Palo Alto is 153 and the United States is 320
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 10:52 PM
 
2,572 posts, read 2,705,392 times
Reputation: 1207
Stockton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,893 posts, read 7,569,778 times
Reputation: 1672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Stockton
you're somewhat annoying and not so funny.
i realize my remark will only encourage you but, oh well.
just had to say.
if your bitter about california or think that people searching for a place to live is silly, why hang around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top