Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,308 times

Advertisements

Hi there...thanks for taking time to read my little story. I'm looking for some feedback/opinions/insight...just all around information about potentially making a move from Boston, MA to Truckee, CA.

A little about me...I'm a 31 year old single female, born and raised in VT, moved to Boston after college and have been here for 9 years now. I love the outdoors - everything about it - I love to ski, hike, bike, I'm dying to get a dog (Bernese Mtn. to be exact), and quite honestly I'm a little over the question of "What do you do for work?". I want to live in a place where I can play and work and enjoy my life more than I am right now in the city.

I've been thinking of Truckee because of the location to SF (my sister is there so it would be nice to be within driving distance), and also to take advantage of the ski season but not be too far from some type of water for the summer.

I'll be keeping my same job that I have here in Boston and just telecommute, so I'm not worried about the "work" piece of the move. I just want to make sure I'm not committing total social suicide by moving to a smaller town. Is it easy to meet people? Easy to find folk to ski with? Hike with? etc?

I'm rambling but I'd love to hear any and all feedback that anyone has.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 AM

107 posts, read 342,494 times
have you ever been to truckee? i visited there once and it is a gorgeous place. the real estate seemed pricey.

and my 2 cents regarding making friends..... i lived in california for only 1 year. spent the rest of my life in the same town in NY and since moved back to that same town in NY. my wedding party of 6 groomsmen included 3 of the most awesome friends a guy could have.... and they flew in from california for me. i say GO!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:32 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,249,630 times
I always found Tahoe a bit busy for me. Coming from a big city, you may find it too slow. Tahoe City would be my choice for living in the area, on the lake and closer to the skiing and much, much warmer than Truckee in the winter.

You might enjoy Kirkwood or Bear Valley as well. Smaller and much easier to meet folks.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:51 PM

6 posts, read 36,280 times
Default concerns about moving to Truckee

I would seriously reconsider the choice of Truckee. I've lived there, and while it is breathtakingly beautiful, it is an extremely difficult place to live with the snow, storms, cold weather, and limited services. Trying to maintain a home in working order is a living hell with the remoteness and high-priced service charges. The people are are likeable, but there are some remote-mountain type kooks as well. If you're a professional skier, sure. But for a single woman I would recommend a city like Boulder, Colorado for more options and flexibility. I think there must be other cities with an outdoorsy feel and access to lots of activities that would be a better fit...but, it's just my opinion.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:26 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,122,898 times
Quote:
...but there are some remote-mountain type kooks as well....
Woohooo! Sounds like the place for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California