Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 03:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
- Is Malibu (and California in general) as expensive as many people claim, for e.g. how much is the price of housing and rent prices?
Malibu is costly. I have a co-worker that grew up in Malibu. His parents moved there in the 1960's and paid $30,000+ for a 3 bedroom 1 bath home on 1 acre. That was before anyone had discovered Malibu as a place to live. People that moved there did so because they could not afford to live closer to Los Angeles. His dad still lives there and that 1 acre lot is the last remaining orriginal home on that street. The land is worth $6million now. Rents can be very exspensive. Homes rent for 10's of thousands. Many people rent homes by the week during the year.
- What is the general cost of living?
For Malibu? You may want an income of at least $100,000 for a single person.
- What jobs would you say are most required in California/L.A/Malibu?
Healthcare works well. If you can get a job in the industry that also works. I have a few writer friends that are working on TV shows.
- How is the economy?
For my family it is booming. We are in healthcare and love what we do. On a side note we live North West of Malibu in Oxnard and it is more affordable where we are at. Still on the coast and can bike to the beach. We also visit Malibu often.
I think a lot of people (including myself on occasion) have this preconceived notion that California/L.A is amazing place with beautiful beaches, cool/unique people, many opportunities etc. Sometimes i suppose i've viewed California through tinted glasses, and have this view that it's an idyllic place where no one is sad and everyone is happy, surf a lot, chill at the beach, eat healthy, stay in shape, etc, etc.

What is your personal view of California? Be honest!
I love it here and have been here my entire life. I also love Malibu and have worked there when I was in High School. I have friends there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 11:17 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
I'm living in a more rural area in southern CA. I don't have to deal with traffic or high rents, but groceries are more expensive here ($4 - $5 for gal. milk, doz eggs cost $3.5 to $4), gas is cheaper (not cheaper than NJ though), and I'm told it hardly snows, and when it does, it doesn't stay for long. OTOH, I don't have the amenities you'd get living in a city, just outside it, or any well populated suburban zone. I am a bit home sick, but also like being employed again, so that latter more than make up for the former.

There are also many deserts and open spaces in CA too.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:27 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
I am from England and have always been fascinated with california and hollywood, and to move to California, most notably Malibu, is a dream of mine. It is not likely to happen any time soon, if at all, but i keep up hope that i will be able to live there one day.

Anyway, i basically want some general information on California:

- Is Malibu (and California in general) as expensive as many people claim, for e.g. how much is the price of housing and rent prices?

- How is the economy?

I think a lot of people (including myself on occasion) have this preconceived notion that California/L.A is amazing place with beautiful beaches, cool/unique people, many opportunities etc. Sometimes i suppose i've viewed California through tinted glasses, and have this view that it's an idyllic place where no one is sad and everyone is happy, surf a lot, chill at the beach, eat healthy, stay in shape, etc, etc.

My personal view? It is home.

I am not a surfer, do not live at the beach, am a tad overweight and have had job/economic issues over the years, but it is still home.

I live in southern California, but you must realize that California is much, much bigger than just LA, Malibu and the stuff you may have seen on TV. The California you want is the southern part, but don't forget the central coast, the Bay Area, the Redwood Coast, the mountains, the deserts, etc., etc., etc.

It is not an idyllic place always everywhere, but peace and quiet can be surprisingly easy to find even in the metro areas, for not much $$$$$.

It is an amazing place with beautiful beaches, LOTS of unique people, and there are still opportunities (what kind, didn't specify).

Cost of living? Depends on what you want.

Jobs? Economy? Varies from state region to state region. There are 38 MILLION PEOPLE in this state. LA city has about 4 million, and LA County (this includes LA and Malibu, with 86 other cities) has almost 10 million people. Malibu itself is not generally a place where many people work, unless they are the super-wealthy of Hollywood ("working from home") or self-employed, or service workers for whatever stores/restaurants, etc., that happen to be around. LA does not have a monopoly on any particular sort of work; all sorts exist here. The question is: for what are you best suited?

That being said, the most important thing for you is not our personal view, but whether you want to pursue this dream seriously and how you will do it.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:35 PM

30 posts, read 34,899 times
It might not be a great place to live much longer, if the drought years continue.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:54 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
One thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq-S8CIU7VA

Old 12-30-2014, 01:46 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
La itself, lots of commercial properties, a little of high priced beach strip properties and the majority is divided into racially based ghettos.

Is everyone Happy in LA--yeah, sure, that is why they are living in violent gang infected ghettos and wish they could move out. And when they do move out they take their conduct with them to the inland empire

The movies and tv shows focus on the little beach strip, not the vast majority of the land of LA.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
La itself, lots of commercial properties, a little of high priced beach strip properties and the majority is divided into racially based ghettos.

Is everyone Happy in LA--yeah, sure, that is why they are living in violent gang infected ghettos and wish they could move out. And when they do move out they take their conduct with them to the inland empire

The movies and tv shows focus on the little beach strip, not the vast majority of the land of LA.
Uh, no, LA is not a bunch of ghettos. Unless you're a hopeless snob.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:56 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
I am from England and have always been fascinated with california and hollywood, and to move to California, most notably Malibu, is a dream of mine. It is not likely to happen any time soon, if at all, but i keep up hope that i will be able to live there one day.

- How is the economy?

Like with anything, it is what you make of it.

You can definitely live a California, laid-back lifestyle at the beach. It just may not be in Malibu, and you most likely will not be able to own property. But, it is possible. I know plenty of people who find creative ways to be able to live this lifestyle.

There are alot of negative people on this board, so don't let their comments deter you.

I personally appreciated CA ALOT more after living abroad in other countries. Now I love it, problems and all, and take full advantage of all of the free and cheap things it has to offer: amazing sunsets, yoga on the beach, hiking, farmers markets, etc...

Old 12-30-2014, 09:10 PM

104 posts, read 115,540 times
Quote:

- How is the economy?

kkkkkk ...............

Come on over mate because the streets are paved with gold and your name on it !!!!

Translation: Crash & Burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California