Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 AM

19 posts, read 17,452 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, we are new ! I'm Christian ( 41 chef ) and Daniela ( 35 Artist )
in the spring I'll have have the possibility to move my studio from London _UK_ to USA .
I was thinking of living in California, all my customers are there , but I read a lot about high criminality , High rent etc... that now I don't know anymore where going.
we made a list of city where we'd like to move :

> Los Angeles
> San Diego
> San Francisco
> Boston
> Miami

in your opinion , which are the best city to live secure enough with rents not too expensive ( from 1200$/month)
wait your reply
Thanks
Dany and Chrys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 09:09 AM

21,628 posts, read 16,157,235 times
Detroit.

(Forgive me. I couldn't resist.)

Old 12-20-2014, 09:09 AM

44 posts, read 70,299 times
There is good and bad everywhere. There is crime, everywhere. My brother almost got stabbed the last time he was in London because he happened into the wrong area late at night. Southern California has some of the worst areas in America and it also truly has some of the best. California is more "it's own other country" than Texas ever thought about. California truly is like it's own mini-nation within America. My top two recommendations would be Orange County (part of the greater Los Angeles metro) or North County (part of the greater San Diego metro). Which one depends on YOU. If you go to Orange country, try to stay within a few miles of the beach, unless you're in Irvine. Orange county is very fancy, glitzy, high tech, modern, tons of big shopping centers, beautiful beaches, lots of art and culture, lots of business. It's kind of the "Golden Picture" people paint California out to be in their heads. The thing is, Orange County is VERY fast paced. GO GO GO, RUN RUN RUN, FUN FUN FUN! It's not that people are in a bad mood, they are just wired differently. My recommendations for Orange County in your price range? Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Irvine (would be tough on that budget...) Laguna Beach, San Clemente, Mission Viejo and Dana Point.

Now, if you want a more laid back lifestyle, North County would probably suit you better. It's very nice, very clean, more laid back. It's kind of like OC kicked down a notch or two. Great for beach lovers, people who like to get out and exercise, etc. It has all kinds of amenities, shopping, dining and sites to see, it just depends on you and your personal vibe. As far as safety goes, just be about your wits, stick to the areas I listed (for living at least) and you'll be fine, they are incredibly safe and full of international people from other countries.

Try to sign a 6 month lease or better yet, get a place to rent month to month. There are a lot of month to month rentals in Southern California, then you can go around on your off time, explore and see which area suits you best. Being a Chef and a Artist though, you've gotta at least check out Laguna Beach. If you could afford it.

Anywho, good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:32 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,645,926 times
$1200 is not going to get you much in those cities of California.
I have no clue about Boston or Miami.

If you have any savings at all, it can be better to buy than to rent, as that would make your monthly home expense lower, and when you decide to move, the money was not just thrown into another person's pocket where it is gone for good.

There are areas outside of those cities that are nice and not as expencive.
Almost anywhere in the state works for an artist.
A trained chef could find work in wine country, or any other touristy spot. But that all depends on background and experience. BIL was a professionally trained chef and the only jobs he got were for chain resturaunts.

Good luck with your search.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,478,288 times
Miami would be the cheapest rent-wise of those cities listed. Crime? Have no idea what its like there. Used to be pretty bad due to the drug trade, but I haven't heard anything negative in years.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:49 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,421,040 times
Have you thought about transportation? Because except for maybe Boston, all the cities you mention depend pretty heavily on having your own wheels, unlike London's much more robust public transport system.

Otherwise, Miami is slowly improving its transit system, has a strong food and art scene now, with several regular international art exhibitions, and is still perhaps the most affordable location among the rest. And though it does have comparatively higher crime, it's also a popular destination and home for a lot of Europeans.

Miami Was Europe's Third Favorite American Travel Destination This Summer; First Among the French

Europeans Snapping Up Miami Residences

Old 12-20-2014, 10:48 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,981,802 times
Your first hurdle will be trying to get the legal right to work in the US:

http://reason.com/assets/db/07cf533d...b5942ef5ad.jpg

or the official complicated version:
Homepage | USCIS

Old 12-20-2014, 01:51 PM

807 posts, read 893,429 times
Off of the top of my head, a studio or 1 bedroom apartment in the major Californian cities will generally be $1500 - $1800 right off the bat. There are many even more expensive ones but very few for cheaper. Those that are cheaper tend to be in areas where property crime is elevated (to varying degrees). This might eliminate California from your list unless you're willing to increase your budget.

Do come back with a post to let us know what you've decided on. If you find a nice place outside of California with good pricing, it will serve as good fuel for the popular debates that we have here about California being overpriced and/or overrated.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,341,111 times
Any major city will have crime. I'm sure London has it's share. Some areas worse than others.

I suggest you look at rents on Craigslist for the cities you are interested in. When you find something you can afford, then post in those city forums on CD to ask if they're safe.

I think the poster above who suggested looking outside the main city limits was spot on. For instance, you might like somewhere like Monterey or Pacific Grove. You wouldn't be far from the SF Bay Area, it's beautiful, and cheaper. And it's right next to Carmel by the Sea, which is an artist heaven.

A couple links for you to peruse:

monterey apts/housing for rent - craigslist

http://www.city-data.com/forum/monterey-county/

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San+...1!2d36.6002378

Old 12-20-2014, 03:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,364,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Detroit.

(Forgive me. I couldn't resist.)
I was leaning toward Weedpatch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California