Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move under these conditions?
Yes, definately. 12 32.43%
No, it's insane. 25 67.57%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:49 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,016,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
If your options are few beyond hubby's job opportunity in Coalinga, I'd look into Hanford, Lemoore or Visalia.

From west to east it is Lemoore, Hanford (7-10 miles farther east), Visaila (20 miles farther yet). I would start with Lemoore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 03:34 PM

841 posts, read 2,257,189 times
please stay away its horrible

Old 01-08-2008, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,241 times
I have lived in coalinga for over 40 yrs. You may want to check out jobs at state hosp-west hills college-Pleasant Valley Prison-Avenal Prison-Coalinga Hospital-These are local.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 10,444 times
Wink What?..

These People Down Here Are Crazy,, Coalinga Has Jobs...
And Cool People....So i Would'nt Listen To These..Haterz...
Coalinga Is Not A Waste Dump And You Wont See a LanFill For Like 1 Hour Away...Like KettleMen City...A Place Smaller then Huron And Maybe Pop Of 500 Ppl Coalinga Has Grown Improved And Has Mnay Jobs[[STATE PRISON, STATE HOSPITAL, TEACHING, And Much More...

Old 01-10-2008, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 10,444 times
Oh And For Your Head..Fresno Isn't 80 Miles Away From Coalinga....Its 1 Hour Excatly Or Your Husband Makes It Longer..

Old 01-10-2008, 03:11 PM

550 posts, read 1,232,144 times
There is a major earthquake faultline just south of Coalinga. Charles Manson lives about 45 air miles away.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,251,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcanaduh View Post
There is a major earthquake faultline just south of Coalinga. Charles Manson lives about 45 air miles away.
The San Andreas fault runs SW to NE through the town of Parkfield near Coalinga. It begins South of Los Angeles and runs all the way to Crescent City near the OR border.

Charles Manson is incarcerated at the Corcoran State Prison! HE"S IN PRISON dude, while he may be alive, he certainly ain't livin. He's not much of a threat I think.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:35 PM

550 posts, read 1,232,144 times
Parkfield had a major quake a few years back. Manson isn't a threat. My comment was pointing out the good and bad. Living close to a major faultline = bad. Living close to Corcoran so you can visit uncle Charlie = good.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:41 PM

4 posts, read 20,007 times
Lightbulb Have same issue...can give you an idea toward a solution...

Hi. I just ran across your post while searching the internet for ideas about some of the same issues you are having... That is, I currently live in Coalinga...my husband has a great job here. Unfortunately, I am at a loss to find a job... even though I have a college degree.... There is just nothing here in my job field either... So, we have come to a great compromise that maybe could help you in your decision. We are moving to Lemoore, Ca... just as soon as we can sell our current home. Lemoore is only a 40 minute drive to Coalinga (the traffic here isn't too bad, not like a big city or anything and this is actually a pretty easy commute). Fresno is where all the jobs are at for me... and the commute from Lemoore to Fresno is only about 30 minutes or so. A little more traffic going toward Fresno... but the 198 freeway to Coalinga and the 41 to Fresno both intersect in Lemoore. We really like the Lemoore area... The Naval Base make for a pretty safe community, even though we are not military... having military neighbors could be a real plus...

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned what the Central Valley is like... but it's been great growing up and living here. I lived in LA for a while and hated it... and came running right back to the Fresno area...I love the laid back feeling of Central Cali... Yes, there is a lot of Agriculture here (not unlike the midwest)... Lots of crops and cows... but the weather is lot warmer and we never have a need for snow boots...hahaha. All in all, Coalinga is ok, but I have not been very happy here because I can't get a decent job around here... However, with the benefits of small, safe communities and the fact that my husband's job is great (especially when you factor in a relatively low cost of living in central cali).... There's no question this is a great area to live.... Just a little nudge over the way to Lemoore may be just what you guys are looking for. (the drive to the new state hospital from Lemoore may be closer than you think... since it's actually a few miles outside of the city of Coalinga and closer to Lemoore).

Well, that's the idea my husband and I have come up with... I hope it helps!

PS I commuted from coalinga to fresno everyday while in college... never had a bad commute accident wise...but hated the drive... It took me 1 hour and 15minutes each way... from downtown Coalinga to Fresno State... I wouldn't recommend that sort of commute if you can help it... just my opinion though...

The quakes hre are NOT that bad... the 1983 Coalinga quake was bad because of too many old brick buildings (obviously we all have building codes nowadays) and no one was killed in that quake either...

Many of my friends and family work in or around the local prisons... great jobs and and we all feel perfectly safe around here... I mean, c'mon people... Colainga is pretty close to the middle of nowhere... If anyone was to escape... where are they gonna go? Shack up with the cows? Seriously though, it's pretty safe around here... the prisons are miles outside the actual city...

There's not a problem with toxic waste around here, but the water had a lot of lead and chlorine... We buy bottled... My husband (who has lived here all his life) swears he can't tell the difference... No babies with 5 eyes or 3 arms... nothing like that....

Last edited by heavenlypennies; 01-16-2008 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: more info to add

Old 02-28-2008, 01:21 AM

46 posts, read 201,726 times
For me Coalinga = the giant cattle feedlot right next to I-5, and the overpowering smell of manure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California