Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move under these conditions?
Yes, definately. 12 32.43%
No, it's insane. 25 67.57%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 20,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalinga View Post
These People Down Here Are Crazy,, Coalinga Has Jobs...
And Cool People....So i Would'nt Listen To These..Haterz...
Coalinga Is Not A Waste Dump And You Wont See a LanFill For Like 1 Hour Away...Like KettleMen City...A Place Smaller then Huron And Maybe Pop Of 500 Ppl Coalinga Has Grown Improved And Has Mnay Jobs[[STATE PRISON, STATE HOSPITAL, TEACHING, And Much More...

MY HUSBAND HAS A JOB OFFER AT COALINGA STATE HOSPITAL. i AM CURIOUS AS TO WHERE IN COALINGA IS A GOOD PLACE TO RAISE A FAMILY? SHOULD WE LOOK IN THE WESTERN, EASTERN, NORTHERN OR SOUTHERN PART OF COALINGA FOR NICE HOUSING?
tHANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Coalinga is a very small town so don't expect much night life if that's important. Also Coalinga is in one of the hottest areas of the San Joaquin valley.

Positive side is the drive from Coalinga to King City/Salinas Valley. Great 2 lane road [198] that winds up & down steep canyons, broad plains/cattle ranches; beautiful country & a lot cooler in summer.

I was born in Fresno so I am not a hater but let's face it Coalinga is groves of nut/fruit trees & isolated.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,027 times
mcalister107..east of Coalinga (HWY 198, which connects Coalinga and the community of San Lucas) is an area called Preist Valley. I have only driven it once, so I'm not too sure about housing. But anyway, the area is absolutely gorgeous. I would live out there in a heart beat. FRustrated Trainer-I'm assuming that if your husband is being hired by the State of CA out of the mid-west then he is probably going to be making good money. If you want to work, find somethin in Coalinga. Housing costs are reasonable there. Now while you are doing this, have your husband put in a transfer eventually to Atascadero State Hospital. Then take your pick of the San Luis Obispo County communities. You'll be able to find a job in SLO County without the crazy commutes and tule fog. I guarantee you'll love it here. Now if you want to work in IT in the mean time, Lemoore is a good choice. If affordable home ownership is something you desire, then maybe you want to stay in the Valley. SLO County is priced sky high, but if you two are making good money, anything is possible.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 PM

6 posts, read 40,498 times
Well most of you are right about Coalinga. My first wife was Born in Avenal and raised in Coalinga still has some family there. When the big earthquake hit can't remember the year I took my father in law over there from Fresno and he sat in the AW root beer place and looked down the main street and saw all the fallen buildings and just wept. I agree with everyone else and since I used to drive ambulance from Avenal to Fresno it is closer to 70 miles. You could live in Hanford or Lemoore they are around 30 miles or so and have the Naval air station, school districts, and even some big dairies have need for computer expertise. I was an Ambulance driver and Maintenance man in Avenal then 20 years later went back and became a nurse. I worked with another nurse that used to work at ASH. I presently work for Modoc County as a nurse in their skilled nursing department and even we have a computer man

Old 07-27-2008, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 17,174 times
Smile reply to coalinga msg.

I love Coalinga. I was actually born and raised here. I still live here with my husband and children. It's not a completely un-educated city as you presumed. There are many people that live and work here with degrees.

If I were you I would try the state hospital, prisons, or west hills college for an IT job. All of them pay fairly well for the area.

You should give Coalinga a chance. It's not that bad. It's a wonderful place to raise children!

Just think of it this way, if you don't like it after you try it out move! Atascadero state hospital is just over the mountain (about an hour away). You could always move there. (its near san luis obispo)

Old 07-27-2008, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 17,174 times
Lightbulb just for your information...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGirl View Post
For me Coalinga = the giant cattle feedlot right next to I-5, and the overpowering smell of manure.
The feed lot is about 13 miles away from the ACTUAL city and you can only smell it on really windy days...

Old 07-27-2008, 10:35 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGirl View Post
For me Coalinga = the giant cattle feedlot right next to I-5, and the overpowering smell of manure.
As anyone in agriculture knows, that's the smell of money!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 16,442 times
Default moving for the job too

I live in the bay area and am relocating because of this RN position I accepted at Coalinga State Hospital. 19 people on the list for this place and 114 people on the list for Napa State! So this was my only option if I want a state hospital job. Anyways, I was reading the forum and before I read this I was actually thinking about looking for a place in Lemoore. Me and my classmate will be living together. He also got accepted for an RN position. The only problem is, this is our first nursing job and I haven't worked since 2007. We're not sure how it is that we'll get to rent an apt or whatever if we haven't even seen our first paycheck yet. I mean we will be making almost 13,500 a month with both of our incomes (before taxes). Is that good enough to show on our first paycheck to some landlord. That's the only thing we are worried about. The first 3 weeks during our training we'll be staying at a motel in lemoore. But we really want to find a place, were just not sure who would let us rent from them. This economy sucks that I even have to do this. I'm leaving behind my 9 year old daughter with my mom because I don't want to bring her to live in central cali.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:21 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Is it the new mental hospital? If so, that institution has had immense problems with adequate staffing and even patients because of the desolate location. I'm sure it was a much less expensive choice to build the facilities but with not much of anything within close range it has not appealed to the professionals.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:00 AM

2 posts, read 16,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Is it the new mental hospital? If so, that institution has had immense problems with adequate staffing and even patients because of the desolate location. I'm sure it was a much less expensive choice to build the facilities but with not much of anything within close range it has not appealed to the professionals.

Yes it's the new state hospital next to pleasant valley prison. We don't want to live in Coalinga, which is why we want to relocate to lemoore or hanford. Coming from the Bay area, we need to be around something besides mountains. So, I've been told Lemoore and Hanford were the closest places to live with more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California