Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move under these conditions?
Yes, definately. 12 32.43%
No, it's insane. 25 67.57%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:55 AM

764 posts, read 2,025,021 times

Advertisements

In the interest of totally useless facts, I happen to know how Coalinga got its name.

There were 2 small stops located along the rail line out there called "Coaling Station A" and "Coaling Station B" --for getting more coal, obviously.

Eventually they got rid of Coaling Station B and a small town started growing around Coaling Station A. Better known as Coaling A and then eventually it was pushed together to make Coalinga.

I learned this from Bob Long's old "On the Map" segment (people from the Fresno area will remember these).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,030,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
In the interest of totally useless facts, I happen to know how Coalinga got its name.

There were 2 small stops located along the rail line out there called "Coaling Station A" and "Coaling Station B" --for getting more coal, obviously.

Eventually they got rid of Coaling Station B and a small town started growing around Coaling Station A. Better known as Coaling A and then eventually it was pushed together to make Coalinga.

I learned this from Bob Long's old "On the Map" segment (people from the Fresno area will remember these).
I miss those segments.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I miss those segments.
You know he died in the last few months? Those segments were awesome! I learned so much local info.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,030,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
You know he died in the last few months? Those segments were awesome! I learned so much local info.
no, I didn't know that!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
no, I didn't know that!
Stories:
Saying good-bye to Bob Long | KSEE 24 NEWS Central Valley's News Station: Fresno-Visalia | Local News

Remembering Bob Long | KSEE 24 NEWS Central Valley's News Station: Fresno-Visalia | Local News

Old 01-29-2009, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 12,342 times
Thumbs down Best advice, go and check it out for yourself...

I have lived in Coalinga for over 20 years. We just sold our home there, and we will never look back. Coalinga used to be a nice small town back when, but now it's just a prison town. There is no shopping, basically just a Kmart, Save Mart, and a bunch of little Mexican stores. The closest town with decent shopping is Hanford, about 45 minutes or so away. There is no fine dining, unless you want to drive out to Harris Restaurant. There is nothing to do as far as night life, but there is a small movie theater (2 screens). Just like most small rural towns around the Valley, Mexicans have become the majority of the population. The Middle School is new, but the High School is ready to drop on the kids when the next shaker hits. The city council is corrupt, as is the Police Dept. The mental hospital has a very bad reputation, just google it, it's been in the news often. If I were you I would try get your husband to look towards ASH in Atascadero, at least you will have more opportunities to find employment. I wouldn't advise moving to Fresno and commuting, the fog can be very deadly.
Sorry to be so down on it, but it has progressively gotten worse over the years, and I'm just glad we were able to move on. Good Luck.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:27 PM

110 posts, read 778,598 times
Sand_Witch

How long was your house on the market before it sold? And what month did you sell it in? What area was your house in? I have a house there that I want to put up for sale, but a wondering how long it will take to sell. Mine is in the Sandlewood area. I'm just hoping to have some luck in selling it.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 12,342 times
Default Susie-

Our house is in escrow now. The house is on Locust St, and was only on the market about 2 1/2 - 3 months. It's not in the greatest neighborhood, but it was completely remodeled. We listed with Nancy Simpson at USA Real Estate. She is a great realtor, and is aggressive about getting you exposure. She also offered a $1500 incentive bonus (on top of the 50% commission) to other realtors if they would help us get it sold. That got us a lot more interest, and some good offers. We have back up offers, should something happen in escrow. Also, the city is offering $60,000 towards the purchase price for first time home buyers (I'm not sure if you have a to be a "minority" though). Either way, we managed to do the impossible it seems. Which is a relief since we moved out of town when the house when was listed, and have been paying the bills on two houses .
Unless you are going to try and do it yourself, I'd call Nancy, she isn't like other realtors that just stick a sign in your yard and hope for the best.

Good Luck!

Old 02-11-2009, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,862 times
Default Coalinga, should we or should we not?

We are also looking into the state hospital at Coalinga. I work in a mental institution in Pennsylvania, and I know all about small town life. I do know the weather has to be nicer, since we are sitting in huge snow banks... I think I'd rather be shoveling poo out at that Harris place y'all are talking about rather than all this darn snow!!! So. please help us more with the whole Coalinga Question. Is it a family friendly town? Neighborly? Since I am also an artist, is there any interest in local artists there? I can certainly tell you that if your an artist, stay on that side of the u.s.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,773 times
Default Looking for a rental...

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie4 View Post
I am very familiar with Coalinga as I own a rental house in Coalinga (which is vacant right now). Coalinga is actually one of the better towns for living out in the valley. There is not much there as people before indicated. The just built a new large SaveMart which is actually very nice. There are plans for building much more in the town in the next few years. My suggestion for someone with computer experience is to look for a job at Coalinga State Hospital also. They should have an IT Department. I work at Atascadero State Hospital and our IT Department is large and there seems to always be positions open.

The idea of commuting to Fresno is way too far. Maybe you could find a job in Hanford. That would be the next largest town abut 30 minutes away from Coalinga.
Hi, I am looking for a house to rent in Coalinga. I will be moving there with my husband, son and dog in June or July, and I have had trouble finding rentals online. Anyone have any tips? Susie4--do you still have a rental there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California