U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you move under these conditions?
Yes, definately. 12 32.43%
No, it's insane. 25 67.57%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 8,859 times
Angry Coalinga, California---Coal what?

Dear anyone who can help:
My husband a licensed social worker is considering accepting a position in the New Coalinga hospital. Normally, I would be very excited and supportive of his advancing career however, I am a bit frustrated with the city. I have never been to Coalinga, California, but from what I have seen or haven't seen on the internet I know it's not a place where I would have an easy time finding a job. My husband traveled to Coalinga for an interview and he said that he saw more grass, cows, and crops than anything else. I wonder what a town like this could have to offer a woman like me who's been working in software training for many years. No jobs are available in my field anywhere near Coalinga.
My husband suggest that we live in nearby Fresno and he would commute to work however, Fresno is nearly 80 miles each way to Coalinga, and I couldn't bare having him spend so, much time speeding on the highway risking his life. He thought Fresno, would be a great idea because I would be able to find a job in Fresno much easier.
If we decided to reside in Coalinga then I would not have any access to jobs other than fast food and gas station attendant positions. I have searched every company in the town and I am not quite a good fit for any of the positions which is very frustrating. Most of the positions within Coalinga do not even require a High School diploma and the jobs that require more are seeking social workers, doctors, and nurses none of which I am.
I don't know if I should tell my husband that the whole idea of moving to sunny California from the freezing mid west is a terrible idea, because I wouldn't be able to find a job. It doesn't matter to me that the town is small and doesn't have much entertainment all I ask is just for a decent career to match my experience. I also cannot allow my husband to drive 160 miles a day round trip to and from work that type of driving is just insane. Studies show that people who travel long distances to work are twice as likely to get into an terrible accident. It seems that all the options we have come up with don't work.

Last edited by frustrated trainer; 01-05-2008 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: FONT ERRORS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 10:16 AM

1,561 posts, read 4,044,415 times
Beware of the "tule fog," common to this part of the San Joaquin Valley, if you do move. A real traffic hazard in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrated trainer View Post
My husband suggest that we live in nearby Fresno and he would commute to work however, Fresno is nearly 80 miles each way to Coalinga, and I couldn't bare having him spend so, much time speeding on the highway risking his life. He thought Fresno, would be a great idea because I would be able to find a job in Fresno much easier.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:41 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,566,261 times
In my opinion commuting from Fresno to Coalinga is a terrible idea. But I also think living in Fresno is a terrible idea. Coalinga is the middle of nowhere and an educated,apparently talented lady like yourself would go crazy living there. There are jobs for social workers everywhere in California. Look at your map and go southwest from Fresno and you will see a city called San Luis Obispo. You and your husband could probably find work there. It is a wonderful place to live. I lived there for 25+ years until I retired and came home to Tennessee. One other thing. Not too far from Coalinga is a town called Kettleman City. This is the location of a huge TOXIC WASTE DUMP!! Just something to think about. Good luck whatever you decide!

Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 PM

16,587 posts, read 12,899,198 times
If you were looking to be a stay at home mom or a house wife, then maybe it would be ok. But it doesn't sound like that would make you happy. If you are just looking to move to California, I'd say keep looking. It is a big state, and you could probably find someplace else you would be happier.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:58 PM

5,930 posts, read 10,480,395 times
Several things;

The toxic waste dump is North of Coalinga about 16 miles, not near Kettleman City. It's a former asbestos mine where they are just refilling it with toxic waste.
Fresno is not 80 miles away from Coalinga it's more like 50 downtown to downtown.
Try Hanford as a place to live and find employment for you. Naval Air Station Lemoore probably could use your talents.

The other posters are correct about the wide opportunities for social work throughout CA.

What's wrong with Cows, and Grass and Crops? j/k

BTW Coalinga is named because it was Coaling Station A when the railroads first started up and down the valley.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:06 PM

4,063 posts, read 10,130,082 times
The small town charm can be appealing if you're not worried about using your skill, however I can understand your frustration as you wouldn't be able to put it to much use in the town it's self.

Someone else suggested SLO (San Luis Obispo) and they might be on to something with that logic

Old 01-05-2008, 05:59 PM

110 posts, read 543,008 times
I am very familiar with Coalinga as I own a rental house in Coalinga (which is vacant right now). Coalinga is actually one of the better towns for living out in the valley. There is not much there as people before indicated. The just built a new large SaveMart which is actually very nice. There are plans for building much more in the town in the next few years. My suggestion for someone with computer experience is to look for a job at Coalinga State Hospital also. They should have an IT Department. I work at Atascadero State Hospital and our IT Department is large and there seems to always be positions open.

The idea of commuting to Fresno is way too far. Maybe you could find a job in Hanford. That would be the next largest town abut 30 minutes away from Coalinga.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM

2,655 posts, read 6,926,484 times
If your options are few beyond hubby's job opportunity in Coalinga, I'd look into Hanford, Lemoore or Visalia. From one of those cities you could each commute with some amount of reason, he to Coalinga, you to Fresno. But honestly, I wouldn't be crazy about commuting by car anywhere too far in the San Joaquin Valley. As others here have mentioned, the tule fog in winter is notorious for multi-car pileups and fatalities. Also the high number of mostly straight two-lane roads in the SJV pose a serious risk of head-on collisions.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:32 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,566,261 times
susie4-- Guess what? MANY years ago I was a nurse at ASH! cant say I miss it. Left there and became a scrub nurse at Sierra Vista until I retired and came home to Tennessee. Couldnt afford to retire in Cal. Small world hey? God Bless!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:29 PM

110 posts, read 543,008 times
Lt. Dan

I know what you mean by not being able to retire in CA. We are about 3 yrs to retirement and there is absolutely no way we could. We'd have to continue to work forever since we still have a house payment and will for years to come. We plan to move out of state when we retire and buy a house outright with no mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California