Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 11:10 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times

Advertisements

I heard alot of good and bad things about san fran. I heard it's very pretty out there, it's one of the most livable cities in the world, has good weather, a vibing nightscene but the col is one of the highest in the nation.

Thats not my concern, actually. My concern is, is san fran really liberal and the most liberal in california when it comes to race?

I live in Houston and I didn't have any issues at all, will san fran be the same?

Will I run into a lot of problems because I'm black or should I move to another californian city?

I was planning on moving to san franscico in 2 years as a Master Automotive Technician with an associate's in engineering science. I was planning on becoming a mechanical engineer and obtain my bachelor's degree out there.

My record is squeaky clean. I'm a 26 year old proffesional thats easy on the eyes.

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 11:19 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Nope, its 6th

California's most conservative and liberal cities: Where's yours? | The Sacramento Bee

Old 12-27-2014, 11:38 AM

6th is still pretty good.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:52 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
In terms of percentage, like the above link showed, no. However the liberals in SF are often more extreme than elsewhere. For example, there was a time when people had SUV's vandalized in SF but similar things didn't happen in Berkeley despite it having a larger percentage of liberal people. San Francisco tends to have very extreme people.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
In terms of percentage, like the above link showed, no. However the liberals in SF are often more extreme than elsewhere. For example, there was a time when people had SUV's vandalized in SF but similar things didn't happen in Berkeley despite it having a larger percentage of liberal people. San Francisco tends to have very extreme people.

Holy cow why where they vandalizin SUVs? 6th is still pretty good. As long as there racially accepting Im cool.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:46 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
SF (I am also from Houston) is far more racially accepting than Houston. The problem in SF is that, while the City is harmoniously diverse in the context of its place in the Bay Area, economics have forced African Americans (and really the middle class of all races) to elsewhere in the Bay Area or out altogether.

SF is Liberal, live-and-let-live, but is a place to hustle and climb the ladder as a professional. It can be a grind and is much more white-collar than Houston. It is also not a "car culture" like Houston is, so opportunities for Auto Technicians will not be as plentiful in the City as they will be elsewhere in the Bay Area.

My advice would be to broaden your search beyond the 7x7. You will likely find your best, most comfortable place somewhere in the greater Bay Area, rather than in the City itself. The expense of living in SF negates its advantages unless there is a compelling social or professional reason to be here, and a place in the Bay Area outside SF would offer all the benefits of the area at a more doable price tag, with greater opportunities for your profession.

Good luck. It's a great move and a huge step up in lifestyle, once you get over the sticker shock. I think you will love the California Liberal attitude--I have, for sure.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:58 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Oakland is attracting many of the folks who want to live in SF, but can't afford it. Some of the character of what SF was is being transferred across the Bay Bridge.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Oakland and Berkeley are to the left of SF. SF isn't as liberal as one would think (or as it used to be)

Old 12-27-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Holy cow why where they vandalizin SUVs? 6th is still pretty good. As long as there racially accepting Im cool.
Environmental radicals because SUV's are gas guzzling.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
SF (I am also from Houston) is far more racially accepting than Houston. The problem in SF is that, while the City is harmoniously diverse in the context of its place in the Bay Area, economics have forced African Americans (and really the middle class of all races) to elsewhere in the Bay Area or out altogether.

SF is Liberal, live-and-let-live, but is a place to hustle and climb the ladder as a professional. It can be a grind and is much more white-collar than Houston. It is also not a "car culture" like Houston is, so opportunities for Auto Technicians will not be as plentiful in the City as they will be elsewhere in the Bay Area.

My advice would be to broaden your search beyond the 7x7. You will likely find your best, most comfortable place somewhere in the greater Bay Area, rather than in the City itself. The expense of living in SF negates its advantages unless there is a compelling social or professional reason to be here, and a place in the Bay Area outside SF would offer all the benefits of the area at a more doable price tag, with greater opportunities for your profession.

Good luck. It's a great move and a huge step up in lifestyle, once you get over the sticker shock. I think you will love the California Liberal attitude--I have, for sure.
I don't know how "live and let live" SF is. The city is known for not being so tolerant of those on the right and more conservative types. Contrast that with Oakland which really is more live and let live. Oakland has a decent size Mormon population complete with a temple which Oaklanders tend to be fond of. Such tolerance of such a conservative organizations is not well known in San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California