Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 03:17 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times

Advertisements

^ Which is why most urban-chicken ordinances prohibit roosters… although too bad barking dogs and cats in heat aren't quite as rigorously enforced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 09:39 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ Which is why most urban-chicken ordinances prohibit roosters… although too bad barking dogs and cats in heat aren't quite as rigorously enforced!
Yeah, why is that? I'd rather get a good night's sleep and listen to a rooster once or twice in the morning than the constant barking and howling all through the night.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:43 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
um...how do you get a steady supply of eggs without roosters?

Oakland. You can keep farm animals in Oakland.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:04 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Actually home-raised chicken and eggs are quite healthy, and even just a couple hens in a small enclosure out on your veranda would provide fresh eggs nearly every day. But OK, "other food" like what… unless you mean stuff raised by 'agribusiness' that's full of pesticides, GMO's, hormones, and preservatives?
Home-raised eggs are not "quite healthy", all the nutritionally aspects that make commercial eggs problematic apply to home-raised eggs as well. For example being loaded with cholesterol. Also you're only going to improve the quality, nutritionally speaking, if you pasture the hens which isn't going to happen when they are in a "small enclosure" in someones backyard. In any case, the majority of people don't have yards to raise hens and home-raised eggs will be expensive unless you pasture or have some unused biomass to fed them (chicken fed costs money).

I see you're using all the catch phrases, "hormones, GMO", etc. But foods of animal origin, regardless of where they are from, contain hormones and if one is concerned about GMO's they can buy organic. Only processed or preserved foods contain preservatives. The other food could really be anything, there is nothing special about eggs. Have oatmeal in the morning instead of eggs (1 pound of organic oats is $1~1.5). You can easily replace eggs in most baked goods with other foods (~5 cents of ground flaxseed can replace an egg). And so on. I don't use eggs at home and someone I'm able to survive.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:04 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They'll also wake you and your neighbors up at 4 a.m.
Hens do not make noise at 4 am. The only time hens get loud, the 'bock bock', is when a sister is laying. The only other noise they make is not loud, just a bunch of chicken muttering.
Quote:
Um...how do you get a steady supply of eggs without roosters?
Chickens lay eggs no matter what. They do not need to be bred, they don't even need a male near by to produce eggs. They just lay them...about one a day.
My hens left us 3 eggs yesterday...the first eggs after taking about a month long 'winter' break.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:12 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Home-raised eggs are not "quite healthy", all the nutritionally aspects that make commercial eggs problematic apply to home-raised eggs as well. For example being loaded with cholesterol. Also you're only going to improve the quality, nutritionally speaking, if you pasture the hens which isn't going to happen when they are in a "small enclosure" in someones backyard. In any case, the majority of people don't have yards to raise hens and home-raised eggs will be expensive unless you pasture or have some unused biomass to fed them (chicken fed costs money).

I see you're using all the catch phrases, "hormones, GMO", etc. But foods of animal origin, regardless of where they are from, contain hormones and if one is concerned about GMO's they can buy organic. Only processed or preserved foods contain preservatives. The other food could really be anything, there is nothing special about eggs. Have oatmeal in the morning instead of eggs (1 pound of organic oats is $1~1.5). You can easily replace eggs in most baked goods with other foods (~5 cents of ground flaxseed can replace an egg). And so on. I don't use eggs at home and someone I'm able to survive.
Hmm.. if you don't personally care for 'em, fine. But dunno what your obvious hostility towards eggs is all about (unless maybe a chicken once attacked you…lol)?! Or else you're still laboring under the same health myths of more than a decade ago, long since disproved? But if you're a big fan of "healthier foods" like GMO's, or 'non-organics', etc., well, then by all means, 'enjoy'!

Good Eggs: For Nutrition, They're Hard to Beat

Old 01-02-2015, 03:25 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
They'll also wake you and your neighbors up at 4 a.m.
Just the roosters. You don't need a rooster to lay eggs LOL.
Gunluvver2

Old 01-02-2015, 03:48 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
We already pay more for everything simply because we are in California. Might as well add eggs to the list, I guess...

Old 01-02-2015, 06:09 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
Quote:
um...how do you get a steady supply of eggs without roosters?

Oakland. You can keep farm animals in Oakland.

Wow, just wow. A, male only needed to make them fertile, not needed to lay.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:13 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
As a very conservative republican, I am all for this, but then again, I do have 400 ducks. Message on the phone today from my wholesaler: Please, please do not raise my prices past $10/doz. I get $7.20/doz now. But I keep my flock under USDA free range standards: 108 SQ FT per duck. No soy, no corn, no anti-biotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California