Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 12:10 PM

631 posts, read 749,216 times

Advertisements

How many desalination plants will it take to support the coastline? The water will run out eventually. When the farming economy completely leaves the valley for other states, I wonder where the taxes will be siphoned from next?

Leaving California before Dustbowl II.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 12:23 PM

807 posts, read 898,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
How many desalination plants will it take to support the coastline? The water will run out eventually. When the farming economy completely leaves the valley for other states, I wonder where the taxes will be siphoned from next?

I don't know about ocean water running out. Anyway, the market will pay whatever the water costs. Those prices can fall with economies of scale so long as they build enough desal and power plants. People who can't afford it will leave. Central valley would probably get dibs on the remaining shares of river water after enough desal plants are up and running.

Given the current trends in RE pricing and demographics I wouldn't be surprised if the only people left along the coasts by then are people who can afford the water.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:32 PM

The ski slopes are becoming non-existent, salmon already have to be transported by truck to the ocean to save them, and the flora/fauna are dying in the sierra nevada. The campground I used to frequent has been burned up by forest fires and the lake has completely dried up. At least the beaches aren't going anywhere.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
At least the beaches aren't going anywhere.
Inland!

Old 02-17-2015, 02:24 PM

There's really no beneficial reason to live in California, but I like to see what excuses the residents come up with. The most entertainment I have known from people here is going to starbucks and the mall.

Southern California is already talking water rationing, I wonder what the new excuse will be when the lawns cost more than they would in Arkansas.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:20 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
There's really no beneficial reason to live in California, but I like to see what excuses the residents come up with. The most entertainment I have known from people here is going to starbucks and the mall.

Southern California is already talking water rationing, I wonder what the new excuse will be when the lawns cost more than they would in Arkansas.

I disagree. If there was no beneficial reason to live in California I wouldn't have done so for about 50 of my going-on 69 years.

It would appear that you were born, raised and are going to college in Modesto. Ergo, you're young, insular and relatively inexperienced. Thus your sweeping generalization. Modesto is hardly the poster child for scenery, nor is it representative of the rest of that vast state.

Apparently, you wish to move to the northeast. Might I suggest you see some of your own state first?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:43 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:

You have an odd understanding of "siphoning". Ag comprises a mere 2.5% of the state's jobs and 2% of its GDP. "Siphoning" is when corporate interests consume 80% of our water in the process.

And other states will have their own ecological catastrophes to worry about. We need to stop pretending anybody is getting out of this alive.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:46 PM

I'd really love to hear your "beneficial reasons" because there are plenty of other states that match or exceed California pay and significantly cost less to live in.

Let's try ANY category. Usual Californian Arguments:

Weather? 3 digit summers are really fantastic for 3 months straight. If you're really so petty as to complain about 0-10 degree winters as well as rain/snowfall, then you fail to understand why WATER is very important.

Stores, hospital, and food? Yeah I'm going to miss a fast food place on every single corner with overpriced sales tax. Yes, the "inconvenient" 20 minute drive to the grocery store is such a huge deal breaker in a small town type of state.

Jobs and pay? Significantly greater number, benefits, and equal or better pay.

Living expenses? I think $500,000 for a shack is a bit steep in my opinion, you can have fun with that.

Traffic? The Top 10 list might as well just be a photo of California.

Yes, I would definitely love to see the rest of suburbia. I've been to the south, the north, the hills of the east, the bay area and I worked in the bay area for five years. The "youth" card was a great attempt though, I worked my way through school and my own bills.

Have you even lived in another state or have you just been in California forever?

Last edited by znlwovuhrjw; 02-17-2015 at 06:20 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 06:46 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Somehow a certain new poster reminds me of other posters gone by.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Quote:
I'd really love to hear your "beneficial reasons" because there are plenty of other states that match or exceed California pay and significantly cost less to live in.

Let's try ANY category. Usual Californian Arguments:

Weather? 3 digit summers are really fantastic for 3 months straight. If you're really so petty as to complain about 0-10 degree winters as well as rain/snowfall, then you fail to understand why WATER is very important.

Stores, hospital, and food? Yeah I'm going to miss a fast food place on every single corner with overpriced sales tax. Yes, the "inconvenient" 20 minute drive to the grocery store is such a huge deal breaker in a small town type of state.

Jobs and pay? Significantly greater number, benefits, and equal or better pay.

Living expenses? I think $500,000 for a shack is a bit steep in my opinion, you can have fun with that.

Traffic? The Top 10 list might as well just be a photo of California.

Yes, I would definitely love to see the rest of suburbia. I've been to the south, the north, the hills of the east, the bay area and I worked in the bay area for five years. The "youth" card was a great attempt though, I worked my way through school and my own bills.

Have you even lived in another state or have you just been in California forever?
I think you've spent too much time in Modesto. I couldn't relate to any of your points...except wondering where that $500,000 shack is. That sounds like a bargain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California